Re: Universe Tea - Blog 2018

October 10th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Nantucket!

trackstar
Topic Author

October 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Well spotted.

So one very short story and then taking a nap in the sun...(but you will enjoy this one).

Among many other things going on around here, up at my sister's small farm, a gradual problem emerged with the septic system over the summer.

I will spare you the details, but at first sporadic, then more chronic, and finally pretty well blocked late last month. Had the tank pumped out - hoping for easy and inexpensive fix, but no. Tried a few other things, snaking pipes, septic friendly Draino, root dissolving crystals ...but no.

So it was becoming rather dire - happy to see her for laundry at my house and so forth, but at some point you are going to have to authorize the big repair. We are a clan, you know - all for one and one for all. So I was bracing myself for that.

Then they had a clever idea - let's try an auger and see if we can just drill our way through. They spent hours yesterday - hazmat suits will be worn :) and indeed they found the culprits, including, from previous owners, some rags that must have been stuffed in the pipe at some point and never removed.  Not even deteriorated, definitely blocking...

All is well now and I can rest a little easier. 

These are very small things compared to the recent RIP post and I am still thinking about journalists and larger struggles in life, but at least at a practical daily level, things can flow along again here (until the next problem emerges).

TTFN - enjoy the rest of the week.

Last edited by trackstar on October 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2018, 4:03 pm

How easy to find plumbers in Nantucket? They probably cost the earth.
"There once was a plumber from Nantucket who found a leak in a bucket ..." does it rhyme

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2018, 8:08 pm

I know a lot of people like the Blarney Stone, and now there is a choice (the most convenient one). Aka branding

It was on the road to Banyon one morning last July
I met a pretty colleen and she smiled as she passed by
Says I, 'I am a stranger in Ireland, all alone
And would you kindly tell me where I'll find the Blarney Stone'

There's a Blarney Stone in Kerry, there's a Blarney Stone in Clare
 There's a Blarney Stone in Wicklow and there's plenty in Kildare
 There's a Blarney Stone in Sligo, and another in Mayo
 There's divil a town in Ireland but you'll find the Blarney Stone

I know that you're a Geordie, I can tell it by your brogue
There never was a Geordie, ah, that was an awfle rogue
But since you are a stranger where the River Shannon flows
Well the nearest Blarney Stone I know is underneath your nose
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 10th, 2018, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

October 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

LOL.

No your previous guess was more correct.

Nantucket, Nantucket, fill up your bucket.

With the smoothest whitest sand you can find. : )

Unfortunately it looks like another hurricane may be heading up here by Thursday.

So much for a short vacation! Now even shorter!

Enjoy evening there. I will dine on kale and quinoa somewhere nearby.

trackstar
Topic Author

October 15th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Cuchulainn, When the world is running down....
BTW: Look at Stewart Copeland's t-shirt.  : )

I will be AWOL for awhile now, but good luck in the Ides of October.  

Remember - this place is a tiny speck of digital dust on a pretty green and blue rock; there are many other strange and interesting worlds out there, waiting to be discovered.

katastrofa

October 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

It used to be a pretty green and blue rock :-(
Have fun.

trackstar
Topic Author

November 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

All Hail, Terra Wilmottia!

I have been enjoying some time off, but as several people have "politely" inquired, I assure you that I am fine and greatly enjoying the change of seasons, with the first snowstorm today.

To dispel a few myths and rumors:

1) I have not been involved in any hit and run car accidents.
2) Nor have I cultivated an addiction to the poppy.  ;)
3) I did not buy a stable full of young dressage horses in Wellington, Florida.
4) i am not stranded (or homeless!) in Fairfield County. (Did you see the news that Wells Fargo is now requiring 25% down for a house in Greenwich. Wow.)
5) I am not programing the next generation of robots to hunt hogs, do your finance homework, or solve any other varieties of life's little problems... ;)
6) I am not in a weird zoo, kept by Paul and including other exotic flora and fauna, on or off the forum.

What is happening:

I am preparing for winter here, there, and everywhere, including helping my sister with her horses and the old barn, and also volunteering for an elderly friend of the family.  She is 99, still lives in her own house and is wry and clever.  But clearly she is not going to shovel her own driveway or go to the store in the snow.

On the colorful side, when time permits, here are a few examples of current holiday projects:

Knitting some scarves and a few small blankets/throws:
assortedyarns.JPG
If you are curious, the yarns are cashmere, mohair, and alpaca.  I tend to double knit, using mohair for color and texture, and one of the other yarns for elasticity.

And finally, lest you think this is all too much virtue signaling (Paul is very quick to spot it...)

Yesterday I happened to stop by a local winery, thinking to pick up one bottle for the upcoming Pilgrim holiday, and to my delight, they were having a wine tasting.

So, instead of 1 bottle, I sampled several and chose these: from Left to right, a Malbec (truly delicious any time), a Peach and a Plum (dessert wines), and the Holiday Cranberry Apple Spice - not cloyingly sweet, but tart too and very nice with turkey, tofu-turkey, or robot-harvested wild hog. (just kidding about the hog).  RIP.
organicwine.JPG
I will be going back on furlough now, but Happy Holidays to all of you.  

Try to be good, and if you can't be good, then have as much fun as possible being bad. The Gods are watching and they will enjoy the show. :)

And to that end, don't forget :  Victoria's Secret Fashion Show - December 2, 2018 NYC !!

TTFN

TS

katastrofa

November 17th, 2018, 1:49 am

You have a heart of gold. The last time I met an elderly person I reported her to the police for racism (we had a disagreement over leaves and it got out of control).

Although only the part of the story where you enter the wine cellar convinces me, it seems that you're having a great time ;-) This is good to know! Thanks for popping in to reassure us XO

PS, I got myself a huge (new British XXS :-D) warm parka in the unlikely case we have some snow this winter - when I jump in it and say "one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" I look like Neil Armstrong in that Hollywood adaptation of Verne's novel. Roses are still blooming here. I don't know how our gardener does it, but we usually have colourful flowers late into December!

trackstar
Topic Author

November 17th, 2018, 3:27 am

Very nice and I forgot to add a picture that you will appreciate, having been to the cat show (it was in Birmingham?) awhile back.

This cat wandered over to meet me when I was visiting an herb garden recently. 
orangecreamangora.JPG
It is over the hills and far away, but always worth the journey. 

Stay warm and enjoy the roses. : )

katastrofa

November 17th, 2018, 6:44 am

I think someone wanted to see you again through cat's eyes :-)

Yes, the show was in Birmingham and I've been fixated with another cat since then. I tried to adopt or buy one, but - homeless, Burmese, three-legged, ... - I seem to fall in love with cats who aren't meant to be mine :-(

BTW, since you like Maine Coons and - as I've learnt at the show - they are probably Norwegian Forest Cats' descendants (they look very similar), Collector is a Norwegian Forest Cat according to Paul. He  has recently revealed that he's also a qualified gardener. You could hire him (payment in vegan food - I'm no longer the only vegan in the forum :-().

trackstar
Topic Author

November 17th, 2018, 11:53 am

My sister has a three-legged cat - they named him Saruman. Sad story, with a sort of happy ending. Someone my sister knows found him in the woods when out hiking one day - one of his front legs had been caught in a trap and he was starving to death.  Rescued and rehabbed, but the leg could not be saved. The vet called my sister, knowing that she can handle special situations...

Saruman does not like people at all, but is fine with other animals. So he has a room to himself at their house and the cats and dogs go in and hang out with him on their own volition, at various times of the day. It works out.

In other news from here - right now I am tackling another painting project - The Kitchen! : )

The current color scheme (wall paper) is mostly a creamy linen color with sage and brown patterned markings. It's nice, actually, but old. So, I will probably stay in the same color family and accent with pictures of herbs or whatever.

Here is one paint chart: I like the warm creamy tones - Cottage White (not listed on that chart, but similar to some of the choices in the left column) is a strong candidate. Then for some different perspectives, a few other sample color schemes...  Off to Home Depot soon -- they open at 7 am. 

Enjoy your weekend!
Attachments
behr kitchen.jpg
bluegreencreamkitchen.jpg
behr-colors-17.gif

katastrofa

November 18th, 2018, 12:08 am

The creamy colours are nice (unlike those in the kitchens in the portfolio, imho - they are not my taste). I'm moving to another flat soon and I've been choosing everything from floors to the kitchen furniture. For the kitchen I made practical choices: handless almost white glossy cabinet doors, good quality stone tops, marble with sparse grey veins for the splashback, which will run over the whole counter (I cook dirty), and some Fornasetti bibelots. I will probably quickly turn it into a Morrocan bazar when I start to cook there and get high on all the oriental spices.

Cuchulainn

November 18th, 2018, 12:45 am

ImageImage

trackstar
Topic Author

November 18th, 2018, 1:34 am

The creamy colors are nice (unlike those in the kitchens in the portfolio, imho - they are not my taste). ...
Interesting and agreed - I look at many color palettes to push myself a bit.  I'm actually very happy with various tones of white, gray,soft browns, and blues.
But even around here, I shake it up a bit with an occasional pink or bright green or gold to remind myself to think beyond neutral.

This evening I went to a local artisan gallery show and bought a handmade green velvet and silk scarf.  Photo to follow. The women there were all artisans - many in their 60s and 70s. Wonderful painters, photographers, potters, and fiber artists. I learned about more studios in this area that I had not heard of before and many are having holiday open studios and shows soon.

For your amusement...I used to make quilts a long time ago (matching colors and patterns was a hobby even in childhood). And here is a pile of quilting cloth from the attic - still organized by sets I was going to use for specific projects.  
quiltingcloth.JPG
And further, I doubt you wondered how much yarn I have, but the answer is "A lot!"  :D
yarnpile.JPG
Both were stored carefully in a dry cool area with cedar blocks in the storage crates, so they are still fine and ready for use, when I have time this winter.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On