SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar
Topic Author

Re: Universe Tea - Blog 2018

December 26th, 2018, 1:37 am

This trail is good in all seasons. Running, walking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing.

Here is another image from a hike not long ago.
skyandpond.JPG
Transience-Permanence.

katastrofa

December 26th, 2018, 2:12 am

Whenever I think of escaping to such a place from my Tower of London, I always get scared that it wouldn't be safe. The big frightening world out there... but then again, I'm more frightened to end up here forever.

trackstar
Topic Author

December 26th, 2018, 2:34 am

Two things I would say about Leaving Londinium.

One is if you know how to drive (I am not being sarcastic - cars not needed in cities, or whatever), then take some simple road trips up north. For safety in that regard: know how to change a tire, keep the gas tank filled up (when you get between a half and a quarter tank stop at the next station), and use maps, not just GPS. If you have a good sense of direction, great and if not, then work on it. Lots of quaint towns and places to walk without going out into the wilderness alone. Kew Gardens is even on the train route, but maybe you have already been there.

Second it possible to hike (or horse trek!) with groups.  And before you say "but I hate people" (LOL ; )) just bear in mind that this is a way to get out in nature without having to worry about who or what is behind or in front of you.  Chances are if you are quiet, other hikers would respect that and maybe some would even be cool.  ;)  I remember one time you said rock climbers annoyed you and I had to laugh because I was in that community for a while in college and they are kind of like quants actually. I enjoyed the time with them, but wasn't going to make climbing my life. Sailing on the other hand... 

Anyway, perhaps this seems simplistic, but I understand what you mean. It's not a safe world out there and female hikers do have to be careful. Still, there are solutions.

katastrofa

December 26th, 2018, 2:49 am

I could also get Jólakötturinn to protect me :-)

Kew Gardens are kewl! I've been there indeed many times in different seasons. During the week they are quite empty and quiet (if you don't count squirrels and birds).

trackstar
Topic Author

December 26th, 2018, 1:50 pm

That could work too.  ; )  North of here there are mountain lions - something to watch out for when hiking off-trail in forests....

But today, moving in a different direction: back through time!

A little sequence from my trip to  Newport Mansions earlier this month; today I am going back with my sister and her husband.

The first two are from The Breakers and the next post is from the Marble House.

trackstar
Topic Author

December 26th, 2018, 1:54 pm

After the Elms and Rosecliff (the other two mansions that are specially decorated for the holidays), we'll go for a walk by the ocean.  

As beautiful (or ostentatious!) as the houses are, at some point you just want to feel the wind on your face and listen to the waves hitting the rocks on the shoreline. 

Like the V&A Museum - to me it's a delightful visit, but so many tea sets and so little time.  ; )

Enjoy your day!

Cuchulainn

December 26th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Your Greeks took marble and they made copies of their wooden structures out of it, because others had done it that way. Then your masters of the Renaissance came along and made copies in plaster of copies in marble of copies in wood. Now here we are, making copies in steel and concrete of copies in plaster of copies in marble of copies in wood. Why?” 

katastrofa

December 26th, 2018, 8:55 pm

French Baroque in the USA? :-O I have to go and see it :-)
There aren't many such palaces and estates left in Poland and Ukraine. Just a few lucky ones weren't burnt by ze Germans, who robbed and set on fire everything they couldn't handle. Дика сволота.

Cuchulainn

December 26th, 2018, 10:58 pm

There aren't many such palaces and estates left in Poland and Ukraine. Just a few lucky ones weren't burnt by ze Germans, who robbed and set on fire everything they couldn't handle. Дика сволота.
Still, some tried to keep up with the Jones', like in Animal Farm.

bearish

December 26th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Wild scallops?

katastrofa

December 26th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Wild scallops?
Yup. I hate seafood :-)

rascal  лайдак, лотр, негідник, сволота, шахрай
villain  злодій, злороб, креатура, лиходій, негіда, сволота

trackstar
Topic Author

December 29th, 2018, 4:16 pm

I have probably posted this on one of the music threads, but for preservation on this thread as we come to the end of the Universe, well to the end of Universe Tea - 2018, anyhow. ; )
The creator, Mr Marrs, has other work on YouTube too - not "official" Kate Bush videos, but all are beautifully made - a fan tribute inspired by her unique music, he says.

Happy New Year, everyone. 

Cuchulainn

December 29th, 2018, 7:48 pm

I have probably posted this on one of the music threads, but for preservation on this thread as we come to the end of the Universe, well to the end of Universe Tea - 2018, anyhow. ; )

Happy New Year, everyone. 

Cuchulainn

December 29th, 2018, 7:49 pm

trackstar
Topic Author

December 29th, 2018, 8:05 pm

LOL. 

Nah, I'm more rock and roll than that. :D

Try this - Crank it up!
When I was very young and first listening to rock radio, I used to think this was called Seasons of Winter.  Ha ha.
and back across the pond.  This should be played so loud that your whole house shakes. :D
and that's all she wrote.  My new Bose headphones have arrived and so I'm going into the archives now. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On