SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Happy Darwin Day

May 27th, 2018, 11:01 am

Let's start with the Revisied Standard  Version and the KJV. Nowhere in either of those.

If you believe that it does appear in the bible somewhere,  you tell me in which book, chapter, and verse of whichever bible translation you like it appears
It doesn't and you won't.

A final thought: "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord." Psalm 150:6

Gamal

May 27th, 2018, 11:31 am

Let's start with the Revisied Standard  Version and the KJV. 
How can one revise a holly book!? Muslims are happier - they have only one version of Koran.

ppauper

May 27th, 2018, 11:51 am

How can one revise a holly book!? Muslims are happier - they have only one version of Koran.
So we both agree that what you said isn't in the bible
And as I'm sure you know, the bible was not written in English, but a number of translations are available to make it more accessible. Revised in this sense means the translation was revised.
The quran has also been translated into English and there are also multiple translations.
As to your statement that "Muslims are happier," muslims always seem to be angry, throwing things, and killing infidels and the wrong sort of muslim

Gamal

May 27th, 2018, 1:22 pm

So we both agree that what you said isn't in the bible.
No, we don't. So far we have not agreed what the Bible is. You probably even don't know there're many various canons of the Bible, quite distinct.
I think we can only agree that your silly song isn't in the Revisied Standard  Version and the KJV. 
I don't know why this particular book is so important for you but must accept your freedom of choice.
Last edited by Gamal on May 27th, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

May 27th, 2018, 1:46 pm

you made a claim,
plant and animals don't speak and don't perceive God since they have no intelectual soul (anima intellectualis). Protestants are so uneducated.
which is nowhere in the bible.
If you disagree, put up or shut up and tell us in which book, chapter, and verse of whichever bible translation you like it appears

But the bible does say, "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord." Psalm 150:6

Gamal

May 27th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Ppauper, even Luther Bible is a lengthy book (although shorter than Tewahedo), I can't verify if a particular statement is there or not. Even worse - I don't know what it means. My text is in English and Latin, the Bible was written in several Hebrew dialects, Arameic and Koine Greek. You may probably find a translation with something very close to my text.

And if you skip chartered accountant's approach to the Bible and try to understand the Script as whole, you can quite easily deduce classical teaching about souls. It's not controversial, plants and animals don't have immortal souls.

bearish

May 27th, 2018, 2:18 pm

you made a claim,
plant and animals don't speak and don't perceive God since they have no intelectual soul (anima intellectualis). Protestants are so uneducated.
which is nowhere in the bible.
If you disagree, put up or shut up and tell us in which book, chapter, and verse of whichever bible translation you like it appears

But the bible does say, "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord." Psalm 150:6
Discussing whether a particular fantasy is in “the Bible” or not (and the associated awkwardness of which version, especially for those who believe each word is the literal truth according to their god) seems borderline pointless, given the enormous supply of them in there. I am partial to the Ezekiel spacecraft landing description cited by von Daniken and Blumrich. Not because I believe it to be true, but because it illustrates the richness of the genre.

katastrofa

November 18th, 2018, 1:24 pm

A group of people with an amphibious life have evolved traits to match: https://amp.economist.com/science-and-t ... s-to-match

"diving has indeed led to the evolution, in the case of the Bajau, of a group who are literally born to dive"

I have a theory that using the Internet we are evolving into a big forest.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On