Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: The Wilmott Philosophy Thread

April 19th, 2020, 9:46 am

I think the problems have started when we became self-aware.
Probably in the Garden of Eden.

I once tried reading my granda's edition of Critique of Pure Reason when I was 14 and I can tell you I did not understand a word. But I knew what I didn't know. It is on my to do list, after Hegel.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

April 19th, 2020, 10:00 am

From what i've read (probably not much compared to yourselves) system 1 and 2 seem to differentiate themselves much like painters and musicians. Obviously there's huge overlap, though painters seems to take it all in one go whereas music proceeds in a step by step fashion. The engineering minded being attracted to art, the mathematically minded music. 
I agree, although it's move difficult when working from home. Beethoven was probably the greatest messer of all time, What we needed now, to give it the perfect ending, is a little of the Ludwig Van. 

www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dwzj

katastrofa

April 19th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Another great tip is to remove all adjectives and adverbs, e.g. negative probability.
And replace it with e.g. "your model is too simplistic".

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 27th, 2020, 6:17 pm

In April, Andersen interviewed Krauss about “the sudden, public antagonism between philosophy and physics” and posted the results at the Atlantic . “What drove me to write this book,” Krauss reportedly told him, “was this discovery that the nature of ‘nothing’ had changed, that we’ve discovered that ‘nothing’ is almost everything and that it has properties.” Andersen quoted Krauss about Albert and about the core of the intellectual conflict:
I read a moronic philosopher who did a review of my book in the New York Times who somehow said that having particles and no particles is the same thing, and it’s not. The quantum state of the universe can change and it’s dynamical. He didn’t understand that when you apply quantum field theory to a dynamic universe, things change and you can go from one kind of vacuum to another. When you go from no particles to particles, it means something.
In May in the UK, the Telegraph reported, “Stephen Hawking has told Google’s Zeitgeist conference that philosophers have not kept up with science and their art is dead.” And then the 10 June commentary, “Physicists, stop the churlishness ,” appeared in the Times’s “Sunday Review” section. The Times reports that the author, Jim Holt, also wrote the forthcoming  Why Does the World Exist? An Existential Detective Story .

//
I had 4 years of theoretical physics thrown into my maths degree . In our last year I asked  the head of dept. if we could remove physics topics and replace them by pure/fluids/PDE. He said yes.

No regrets.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 29th, 2020, 8:10 am

“The real question of life after death isn't whether or not it exists, but even if it does what problem this really solves.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein   

bearish

May 29th, 2020, 1:23 pm

See - unlike this Slovenian “philosopher” that kata keeps bringing up, Wittgenstein knew how to tweet clearly!

Alan

May 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm

“The real question of life after death isn't whether or not it exists, but even if it does what problem this really solves.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein   
Uh ... it solves the problem of death. Krauss is right -- philosophers are morons. 

katastrofa

May 29th, 2020, 6:48 pm

I've made a poll about it:

(I was trying to make a joke on J-P Sartre, but it didn't go so well - on a hot Friday evening my brain is like an old lazy cat.)

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 29th, 2020, 8:52 pm

― Ludwig Wittgenstein   
Uh ... it solves the problem of death. Krauss is right -- philosophers are morons. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 29th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 8th, 2023, 5:20 pm

"Another famous physicist, Richard Feynman (1987) (also with a Nobel
prize in physics), argued that no one objects to using negative numbers in calculations, although
“minus three apples” is no valid concept in real life. Similarly, he argued how negative probabilities
as well as probabilities above unity can be very useful in probability calculations"

An ecumenical matter?