Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Speeches, Essays and other things

August 18th, 2019, 10:58 am

Not sure.  You "had forgotten" before Cuchulainn even "has read" the books.  It's as if you two were in different frames of reference (separated in time).  Einsteinian grammar!
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”   

katastrofa

August 19th, 2019, 3:18 am

Possibly. But “you’ve now read” is vaguish about when the books were read. It does carry an air of “at last,” as intended. I quite like the sentence.

I am often unintentionally brilliant. In fact probably more often unintentionally than not.
I'm sure the sentence is correct and I also like it. I just expressed my wonderment at the commingling of grammatical tenses.

This country was raised by the unintentional brilliance of its people!

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2019, 7:17 am

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2019, 7:42 am

Possibly. But “you’ve now read” is vaguish about when the books were read. It does carry an air of “at last,” as intended. I quite like the sentence.

I am often unintentionally brilliant. In fact probably more often unintentionally than not.
I'm sure the sentence is correct and I also like it. I just expressed my wonderment at the commingling of grammatical tenses.

Maybe Paul has started reading Finnegans Wake? I'm concerned.

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I’d forgotten that you’ve now read three books, Cuch!
But to understand FW, you have to understand everything that occurred in the last 2000 years. It's like a Hidden Markov Model. e.g. try computing the influence (multi) graph diagram for 'vicus of recirculation".

katastrofa

August 19th, 2019, 5:53 pm

When I was in Galway, I got stuck for a while in some antiquarian bookshop. Three students rolled in and grabbed Finnegans Wake from the shelf. One was reading a random passage and two other started dancing. I like university towns for such quirks :-)

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2019, 7:18 pm

When I was in Galway, I got stuck for a while in some antiquarian bookshop. Three students rolled in and grabbed Finnegans Wake from the shelf. One was reading a random passage and two other started dancing. I like university towns for such quirks :-)
Twats. Mind you the Trinity ones are worse.
BTW I have a 1st edition, 1st printing + dust jacket  if anyone wants to buy it. Excellent condition.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Joyce wasn't too keen on Galway it would seem.

4. What Irish capitol city (a dea o dea!) of two syllables and six letters, with a deltic origin and a ruinous end, (ah dust oh dust!) can boost of having a) the most extensive public park in the world, b) the most expensive brewing industry in the world, c) the most expansive peopling thoroughfare in the world, d) the most phillohippuc theobibbous pa-pulation (Wilmott forum doesn't recognise u grave (ù), ed.)  in the world: and harmonise your abecedeed responses?

Answer: a) Delfas. And when ye’ll hear the gould hommers of my heart, my floxy loss, bingbanging again the ribs of yer resistance and the tenderbolts of my rivets working to your destraction ye’ll be sheverin wi’ all yer dinful sobs when we’ll go riding acope-acurly, you with yer orange garland and me with my conny cordial, down the greaseways of rollicking into the waters of wetted life. b) Dorhqk. And sure where can you have such good old chimes anywhere, and leave you, as on the Mash and how’tis I would be engaging you with my plovery soft ac-cents and descanting upover the scene beunder me of your loose vines in their hairafall with them two loving loofs braceleting the slims of your ankles and your mouth’s flower rose and sinking ofter the soapstone of silvry speech. c) Nublid. Isha, why wouldn’t we be happy, avourneen, on. the mills’money he’ll soon be leaving you as soon as I’ve my own owned brooklined Georgian mansion’s lawn to recruit upon by Doctor Cheek’s special orders and my copper’s panful of soybeans and Irish in my east hand and a James’s Gate in my west, after all the errears and erroriboose of combarative embottled history, and your goodself churning over the newleaved butter (more power to you), the choicest and the cheapest from Atlanta to Oconee, while I’ll be drowsing in the gaarden. d) Dalway. I hooked my thoroughgoing trotty the first down Spanish Place, Mayo I make, Tuam I take, Sligo’s sleek but Galway’s grace. Holy eel and Sainted Salmon, chucking chub and ducking dace, Rodiron’s not your aequal! says she, leppin half the lane. abcd) A bell a bell on Shalldoll Steepbell, ond be’ll go massplon pristmoss speople, Shand praise gon ness our fayst moan neople, our prame Shan-deepen, pay name muy feepence, moy nay non Aequallllllll!

JoWee

September 12th, 2019, 1:44 pm

For me it's just impossible to write a good speech or an essay because my writing skills are really weak. That's why I use assignment writing help a lot. Maybe I should pay more attention to the issue and work on my writing skills but I am a bit to busy right now to do that, sadly.

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2019, 3:03 pm

That last komma is a fix. 'sadly' should be upstream.

alanmartinpmp

September 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Can I simply just say what a comfort to find somebody that really knows what they're discussing on the internet. You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. essay help uk
More and more people really need to read this and understand this side of your story. It's surprising you're not more popular since you certainly possess the gift.

Cuchulainn

September 20th, 2019, 5:39 pm

It's surprising you're not more popular since you certainly possess the gift.
I only do it in my spare time. I can help blow-ins like you too.

Cuchulainn

December 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

While Joyce was working on Finnegans Wake, he wanted to insert references to Scandinavian languages and literature, hiring five teachers of Norwegian.[203]:121–122 The first one turned out to be the poet Olaf Bull. Joyce wanted to read Norwegian works in the original language, including Peter Andreas Munch's Norrøne gude- og heltesagn (Norse tales of gods and heroes). He was looking for puns and unusual associations across the barriers of language, a practice Bull well understood. Lines from Bull's poems echo through Finnegans Wake, and Bull himself materializes under the name "Olaph the Oxman", a pun on his surname

katastrofa

September 1st, 2020, 9:58 pm

The Pferd Man?