SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

November 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 14th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner? 
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

katastrofa

November 14th, 2019, 9:02 pm

If you like chard: rainbow chard sautéed with garlic drizzled with lemon + roasted potatoes
This portion was for my guest (I had emergency cooked carrot ;-/)
C136BA08-F07B-4726-B1CC-6B0F89E06396.jpeg
BTW, I've started adding chocolate to spicy dishes (as some people here know I eat only fruits, carrots and chocolate, and lo, one day a piece of Ecuadorian 80% bar accidentally-experimentally landed in the pan, which turned out to be my culinary eureka moment).

katastrofa

November 15th, 2019, 11:10 pm

If you have some leeks, slice one thinly, add 2 handfuls of cashews (or a small block of tofu) blended with garlic and some water, fry a handful of dulse seaweed (the celebrated sea bacon: https://time.com/3960421/seaweed-bacon- ... uper-food/) torn into small pieces and toss in the mixture, add salt and pepper, mix well, roll in puff pastry in any way you like. Et voilà! Vegan version of classic Pastries with leek, cheese and bacon. My Father didn't guess they were vegan :-D
Attachments
CB52145D-F750-455B-AE9A-0B7E598BCEA2.jpeg
A06D5E05-A428-4183-8A2D-81EE35602B5F.jpeg

trackstar

November 15th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Those look delicious.  I'll check up on dulse at Whole Foods on my weekly visit tomorrow.

I've been looking at cookbooks recently (holiday gift for myself : )) and found this - published last fall.

Cook's always gets into the science in great detail. America's Test Kitchen too. So the books are fun to read, even if you are not in the kitchen.

Also, I'm joining a ski club up north that has a wonderful 40 bedroom Victorian lodge and a *gigantic* kitchen. 

The Director sent me pictures: an 8 burner stove, double oven, all kinds of cooking equipment.

So, you can hang out and socialize with other club members and cook apres the apres ski to your heart's content. 

I'm a green and sometimes blue trail ski girl of moderate ability right now, but should improve under the right conditions!

katastrofa

November 16th, 2019, 12:10 am

You Americans always have to be so thorough about everything. Almost competitive. Why improve? Be someone's damsel in distress to save! I'm feeble and clumsy, and every man feels like Superman around me. Just an idea for your dinner and breakfast experiments.

trackstar

November 16th, 2019, 12:26 am

You Americans always have to be so thorough about everything. Almost competitive. Why improve? Be someone's damsel in distress to save! I'm feeble and clumsy, and every man feels like Superman around me. Just an idea for your dinner and breakfast experiments.
Had a nice laugh over this - thanks! : )

I really like sports and have worked for years at some of them.

I understand how the helpless feeble thing can work very well for some women and if you really enjoy that dynamic and the results, then certainly no judgement from here.

But I just want to ski and cook and relax around the fireplace with friendly people - maybe some of them will even play chess. : )
Last edited by trackstar on November 18th, 2019, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

November 16th, 2019, 12:59 am

Long ago, second kyu in karate and 6 years in a Ukrainian torture chamber disguised as a ballet school (until they kicked me out for growing boobs, which resulted in anorexia, withdrawal and depression - oh, poor poor me! Seriously, that was a valuable life's lesson). Now, I have a personal trainer who shouts at me to eat more, a lot of running (because I'm always late), and cross-country skiing (a popular family sport in Ukraine) - in Norway, for the first time after a long break. I'm going there to celebrate solo the New Year. Although it feels more like celebrating myself :•)

trackstar

November 16th, 2019, 1:08 am

Long ago, second kyu in karate and 6 years in a Ukrainian torture chamber disguised as a ballet school (until they kicked me out for growing boobs, which resulted in anorexia, withdrawal and depression - oh, poor poor me! Seriously, that was a valuable life's lesson). Now, I have a personal trainer who shouts at me to eat more, a lot of running (because I'm always late), and cross-country skiing (a popular family sport in Ukraine) - in Norway, for the first time after a long break. I'm going there to celebrate solo the New Year. Although it feels more like celebrating myself :•)
All good! And for the New Year's celebration there should be nice fireworks too.  

Just beware of the helgefylla (or enjoy it, as the case might be!) : )

katastrofa

November 16th, 2019, 1:47 am

I'm against fireworks - pets get heart attacks and die from them :-( I'll be admiring Aurora Borealis, charging up for the next chapter of my life in the magic magnetic field.
Last edited by katastrofa on November 16th, 2019, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 2:07 am

I feel like I have a duty to say something here, but words fail me. I can chime in with New Years Eve 1978, when it got just cold enough for our home mercury thermometer to develop an air bubble. Close to -40, and either scale works OK. Well, not K. There is a major XC-skiing (my old sport) scandal being rolled up in Norway these days, relating to ski wax containing perfluorochemicals, which tend to kill the parents who spend hours in poorly ventilated rooms prepping the skis of their kids. This is not new news in scientific circles, but Dagbladet (a semi-respectable tabloid) has brought the news to the masses, including a couple of heart-wrenching stories.

trackstar

November 16th, 2019, 2:14 am

Yes, I noticed that news about the skis. Here, Johnson and Johnson has just pulled many thousands of bottles of baby powder off the shelves of some stores (I think 23,000 bottles). And this is *after* lawsuits already decided against the firm.  

But as you were posting about that, I was selecting this image.

Life is short. May we all enjoy it the best we can. : )

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 2:16 am

Wow - nice! That's from Iceland?

trackstar

November 16th, 2019, 2:21 am

Wow - nice! That's from Iceland?
Yes, this one really caught me. : )

Iceland is only five hours from here (+1) - an easy hop and no need to go any further than that. 

Just drive north.

katastrofa

November 16th, 2019, 2:37 am

PFC, HFC, SF6, CFC, BPA - there's always something these days to poison our life. It's in almost all food cardboard packaging - the coating. Mind that your fruits and vegetables from organic/biodynamic  farms are packed in raw cardboard (and don't get upset next time something gets squashed and leaks through it).
Oh, and they are all greenhouse gases - I remember when I was a child the Kyoto Protocol ban on those was widely celebrated...

Some nice recipes - junky, but you live once! (make it shorter :twisted:)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On