Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

December 21st, 2020, 3:05 am

Sorry to hear that. I hoped your daughter managed to come home for Christmas.

How about Marzipankartoffeln? I would shape the marzipan into cat figurines in different poses. Marzipan catmasutra! :-)

bearish

December 21st, 2020, 3:31 am

Well - the other one did make it, so not too bad. The general trick with the marzipan shaping is avoiding thin pieces, since they tend to dry out pretty quickly. Of course, if you are going to eat them immediately that’s not a problem. But around here they tend to last a while.

katastrofa

December 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... -longevity

"... recent findings. One, published online July 22, 2020, by The BMJ, comes from researchers at Harvard and Tehran University. They analyzed 32 studies about protein intake that included more than 715,000 people, with follow-up periods ranging from three-and-a-half years to over three decades. Combining data from multiple studies, the researchers calculated that getting 3% more of total calories in the form of plant protein (like beans, nuts, and whole grains) lowered people's risk for premature death by 5%. Another study, published online July 13, 2020, by JAMA Internal Medicine, looked at the survival rates of more than 416,000 people who'd reported their diet and lifestyle information 16 years earlier (when they were 50 to 71 years old). In this study, shifting just 3% of calorie intake from animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, or dairy products) to plant protein corresponded with a 10% decrease in death from any cause over that period, for both men and women. In particular, replacing eggs and red meat with plant proteins appeared to reduce death risk by as much as 24% in men and 21% in women — especially in people with high intake of eggs and red meat. The new findings don't prove that favoring plant-based proteins will add years to your life, but many other studies have associated high intakes of red and processed meats with shorter life span."

I've read a few studies suggesting that we don't absorb animal proteins at all. As the article summarised, it's likely not the medicinal effect of plant food, but the allergenic and carcinogenic effect of animal proteins that makes the difference.

bearish

December 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... -longevity

"... recent findings. One, published online July 22, 2020, by The BMJ, comes from researchers at Harvard and Tehran University. They analyzed 32 studies about protein intake that included more than 715,000 people, with follow-up periods ranging from three-and-a-half years to over three decades. Combining data from multiple studies, the researchers calculated that getting 3% more of total calories in the form of plant protein (like beans, nuts, and whole grains) lowered people's risk for premature death by 5%. Another study, published online July 13, 2020, by JAMA Internal Medicine, looked at the survival rates of more than 416,000 people who'd reported their diet and lifestyle information 16 years earlier (when they were 50 to 71 years old). In this study, shifting just 3% of calorie intake from animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, or dairy products) to plant protein corresponded with a 10% decrease in death from any cause over that period, for both men and women. In particular, replacing eggs and red meat with plant proteins appeared to reduce death risk by as much as 24% in men and 21% in women — especially in people with high intake of eggs and red meat. The new findings don't prove that favoring plant-based proteins will add years to your life, but many other studies have associated high intakes of red and processed meats with shorter life span."

I've read a few studies suggesting that we don't absorb animal proteins at all. As the article summarised, it's likely not the medicinal effect of plant food, but the allergenic and carcinogenic effect of animal proteins that makes the difference.

I’m assuming these results scale, so by taking the average of the two studies, I conclude that by shifting somewhere around 45% of my caloric intake to animal protein I should reduce my risk of dying by 100%. Time to look into veggie burgers!

katastrofa

December 24th, 2020, 12:04 am

Don't forget B12 supplementation, though (not tablets, but nasal or oral drops, as it has to be absorbed straight into the blood system).

IMHO, veggie burgers sold in supermarket are junk food. I used to fry burgers made from cooked green lentils mixed with fried onion, some seeds, herbs and spices, and mashed potatoes or cooked millet - as a glue.

trackstar

February 1st, 2021, 1:34 am

So February is here and what do we think - two months left of winter? In addition to making bread and hearty vegetable stews, I will be working on the art and science of preserves.

This is a good place to start, but I am adapting some recipes to move away from too much sugar, while still trying to stay sweet. So, that is a work in progress. 

Experimenting is fun though - like cranberry orange marmalade with a splash of Drambuie.

May be AWOL for a few days now due to lots of snow (hooray!), but have a good week everyone.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 6th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 6th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Yeah, I've heard it's very nutritious.
Fish fingers and custard?

katastrofa

May 6th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Isn't it dandelion? Rich in medicinal properties and one of the most popular herbs in folk medicine (many properties confirmed experimentally), especially for prostate cancer - hence the man eats it? I use grown leaves in summer salads.

Paul

May 7th, 2021, 12:59 am

Yes, dandelion. You can buy a jigsaw of him preparing grass with a side order of dandelion:

Paul

May 7th, 2021, 1:00 am

He was a Cambridge man. 'nuff said.

Copenhagentolondon
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

May 7th, 2021, 11:59 am

Is this like "the origins of the caesar salad"?
Fish fingers and custard?