Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Re: Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

November 16th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Lots of recipes to test and taste in the weeks to come!

On the list for today:

Rose-Cardamom Whipped Tahini Stuffed Dates - Kale and Caramel site

Have a good weekend, Wilmotters!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 16th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Wow - nice! That's from Iceland?
Gullfoss AFAIR, Glymur is more remote and less tourists pretending to be Vikings.Image

katastrofa

November 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm

The stuffed dates look amazing. Tastes of my childhood! :-) I have to prepare them for Xmas! Unfortunately, my Dad was born with carnivore fangs in place of his sweet tooth, so I have to come up with all sorts fake meats to pleasure his taste buds.

Paul

November 17th, 2019, 10:07 pm

For branding purposes veggie burgers should be oval. To contrast with, and avoid mimicking, meat burgers. The square is reserved for American cheese made from recycled plastic.

trackstar

November 17th, 2019, 10:16 pm

The square is reserved for American cheese made from recycled plastic.
Always taking a swipe at the Colonists....

Well, we will just smile sweetly and reserve the tessellated hexagon for your toxic rainwater roof-dripping cheeses.

Paul

November 17th, 2019, 11:13 pm

It’s only the square ones that are the problem. Other American cheeses have come on a long way in the last few years. But why are some called “cheddar”? They haven’t been within several thousand miles of a walk along the beach at Weston-super-Mare.

trackstar

November 17th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Perhaps they should have come up with a new name. But we do have yellow cheddar and white cheddar and two noteworthy producing regions, namely Vermont and Wisconsin.

A short write up about all of that here:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/white-vs- ... of-cheddar

bearish

November 18th, 2019, 1:17 am

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cme-to-launch-block-cheddar-cheese-futures-2019-11-14

I confused myself yesterday morning during my customary FT breakfast read, where the headline seemed to suggest that it was time to block CME cheese futures. As it turns out, "block" was used as  noun in this case. 

katastrofa

November 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

What can you see?

ISayMoo

November 19th, 2019, 11:23 am

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cme-to-launch-block-cheddar-cheese-futures-2019-11-14

I confused myself yesterday morning during my customary FT breakfast read, where the headline seemed to suggest that it was time to block CME cheese futures. As it turns out, "block" was used as  noun in this case. 
Is vegan cheddar deliverable under this contract?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 19th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Is vegan cheddar deliverable under this contract?
Your paraphrase can be interpreted in only one way, i.e. 'block' as a  verb. As a noun, the sentence makes no sense, FT title  is correct, almost (see ugly komma).
If only they had written Block Cheddar Cheese..Dat's the way CME does it..

CME Group to Launch Block Cheese Futures and Options

So, FT title is incorrect.

BTW 3000 litres water to produce 1 kg of cheese..

//In Italy Parmese is kept in bank' vaults as collateral, it's also safer.

bearish

November 24th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I feel like I have a duty to say something here, but words fail me. I can chime in with New Years Eve 1978, when it got just cold enough for our home mercury thermometer to develop an air bubble. Close to -40, and either scale works OK. Well, not K. There is a major XC-skiing (my old sport) scandal being rolled up in Norway these days, relating to ski wax containing perfluorochemicals, which tend to kill the parents who spend hours in poorly ventilated rooms prepping the skis of their kids. This is not new news in scientific circles, but Dagbladet (a semi-respectable tabloid) has brought the news to the masses, including a couple of heart-wrenching stories.
In a shockingly quick development, FIS has banned all flour-based ski waxes from sanctioned competitions starting next season (i.e. 2020-21). The stated reasons are threefold: the health of the ski preparers, the environmental damage from residue left in the snow, and the cost of the waxes. 

Collector

November 24th, 2019, 8:55 pm

slightly "related" 

Denmark is to go ahead with a proposed ban on all organic fluorinated compounds in paper and cardboard food packaging materials in advance of EU-wide action, the country's Ministry of Environment and Food has said.

The Danish initiative follows the European Food Safety Authority's (Efsa) risk assessment on perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).

Denmark just became the first country to ban PFAS 'forever chemicals' from food packaging

""I do not want to accept the risk of harmful fluorinated substances (PFAS) migrating from the packaging and into our food. These substances represent such a health problem that we can no longer wait for the EU," "

why not allow only to pack food in leaves (live vegan  packing), paper only (dead vegan), wood boxes (dead vegan), hemp, glass, ceramic....  Well tested methods over thousands of years...many many benefits if done properly.  

much of the so called progress last 2000 years, have been progress in the wrong direction.

katastrofa

November 24th, 2019, 9:52 pm

PFC, HFC, SF6, CFC, BPA - there's always something these days to poison our life. It's in almost all food cardboard packaging - the coating. Mind that your fruits and vegetables from organic/biodynamic  farms are packed in raw cardboard (and don't get upset next time something gets squashed and leaks through it).
Oh, and they are all greenhouse gases - I remember when I was a child the Kyoto Protocol ban on those was widely celebrated...

Melamine - popular on its own or as a bonding material for all the eco bamboo, sandstone, etc. tableware. I've just got rid of a cat bowl and several kitchen containers. We're switching back to glass and ceramics.

Collector

November 29th, 2019, 4:11 pm

From the Entropy book (by Ben-Naim)
Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.12.38 PM.png
but who wants to live forever....clearly not the oranges.