Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

December 11th, 2020, 10:16 pm

There is a term in English - "roughhouse play" - which means boisterous and kind of aggressive physical play.  Think of a rugby match - that is professional roughhousing at its finest.

Years ago, we used to rough house here from time to time and it was fun!  But with far fewer people, no Middle East debates, and many of the usual suspects lost but not forgotten, the tone is different now.

So, lacking that humorous rough vol surface these days, in case some people were wondering (hehe) - what did I mean? 

I meant rowing - see the sunken boat and the diver about to have a look?

winterrowing.jpg

Winter rowing is damn cold too, but well worth it - you must wear a life vest though.

For any cases of frostbite around here, here are some hot options to warm your hearts and souls. : )

22 Hot Cocktails to help you face the cold - Town and Country

One of my favorites:  Blackberry Mulled Wine

BBmulledwine.png

Enjoy your weekends!

We’re definitely coming up on gløgg season!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 12th, 2020, 3:04 pm

More Frontier Folklore from Robert Service

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ObMfs8pxc

You could hear a pin drop. All those poems are about guys called Mc or Mac.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 13th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 13th, 2020, 8:56 pm

trackstar

December 13th, 2020, 9:07 pm

You know, if you are really looking for trouble - try Chaucer. : D

Canterbury Tales

You may need to look a few words up, but plenty of naughtiness here!

I also think it is time for some holiday cheer for the Forum.

Remember what Tolstoy said, "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
However, we also know that diversification is good. Therefore, unhappiness is good. Q.E.D.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 12:07 am

My second attempt at a Delfiakake ended with another improvised brownie. Its huge. Fortunately I found a huge neighbour (living 2 km from me) who offered his Viking arm for my home-made kaker. Now I have to come up with some work for him...

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 12:18 am

Hi there. I looked this kake up a few days ago when you first mentioned it - should it look like this?  (Whether rectangle or round?)
Rund-delfiakake.jpg
I also looked at a couple of recipes to try and troubleshoot and I wonder - do you have an oven thermometer?  If not, then temperature might be the issue.

One of my ovens is off by about 25 degrees (higher than what I set the dial for). So I just have to set it lower to get temp needed. Easy fix, but I did overbake a few things before I figured it out.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 1:04 am

It actually isn't baked. It's basically choklit melted with fat and added to sugar mixed with eggs/aquafaba for a vegan version. Then you pour it into a form, toss in some cookies or raisins to drown in it, put it in the fridge to set, et voila!
The vegan version has been tested by many, sdrown it's not a problem, but I suspect the temperature is. I somehow heat it up too much during mixing and the fat starts to separate. I was really close today... But well, if you can't have Delfiakake, add flour and you have a brownie!
(my iPhone dictionary goes crazy from the new injections of Norwegian into its British vocab - with all the hyped up AI wonders, is it really so hard to write a simple algorithm which will spot when the user is switching between languages??)

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 1:30 am

It actually isn't baked. It's basically choklit melted with fat and added to sugar mixed with eggs/aquafaba for a vegan version. Then you pour it into a form, toss in some cookies or raisins to drown in it, put it in the fridge to set, et voila!
The vegan version has been tested by many, sdrown it's not a problem, but I suspect the temperature is. I somehow heat it up too much during mixing and the fat starts to separate. I was really close today... But well, if you can't have Delfiakake, add flour and you have a brownie!
(my iPhone dictionary goes crazy from the new injections of Norwegian into its British vocab - with all the hyped up AI wonders, is it really so hard to write a simple algorithm which will spot when the user is switching between languages??)
Funny - I had the right cake but wrong recipes then.  However, if stove top, then if you have not tried already, I would use a double boiler and also get a candy thermometer. If any of the recipes suggest a simmering temp, this will help keep it under control.  Kake or brownie, looks great either way though.  I will be baking pies next weekend. 

bearish

December 15th, 2020, 1:40 am

I’m gearing up for the annual marzipan making. For one reason or another I’ll be starting out with whole raw almonds, so need to start with the traditional process of blanching, peeling and drying.

katastrofa

December 16th, 2020, 2:46 am

Isn't it easier to peel almonds if you soak them overnight or in hot water for a few hours? A tip I once got from you compatriot :-)

I stopped cooking nuts for all nutty recipes, including my vegan cheeses, some time ago. I have to read up on it, but my senses tell me that something is wrong with cooked nuts. It turned out that the tasted improved considerably. But it may be my head telling me that what is healthy tastes delicious. The healthiest food would be choklit and salted caramel...

BTW, I've just finished reading about Limburger and Muester. Hope to start production of vegan versions next week. 2 months of tending to mature these babies!

katastrofa

December 19th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Choices, choices...
I found my favourite fudges (Polish brand!) in Sunkost and decided to have an animal onsie day with Leela (sheet doesn't need a onsie).

bearish

December 19th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Isn't it easier to peel almonds if you soak them overnight or in hot water for a few hours? A tip I once got from you compatriot :-)

I stopped cooking nuts for all nutty recipes, including my vegan cheeses, some time ago. I have to read up on it, but my senses tell me that something is wrong with cooked nuts. It turned out that the tasted improved considerably. But it may be my head telling me that what is healthy tastes delicious. The healthiest food would be choklit and salted caramel...

BTW, I've just finished reading about Limburger and Muester. Hope to start production of vegan versions next week. 2 months of tending to mature these babies!

Well, the theory is that you should boil the almonds for a minute, and then chill them. Having now hand peeled a couple of pounds (i.e. pretty much a kilo) of almonds, I’d say that works. Supposedly, not tested, if you leave them in hot water any longer they’ll get overly moist. So far, so good.

katastrofa

December 21st, 2020, 1:51 am

How did it go with marzipan?

Jeg letter etter valmuefrø i norske buttiker helle dagen. Nada. I hoped to make valmuefrøkake for Xmas :-(

bearish

December 21st, 2020, 2:08 am

The marzipan is moving along. The first half was shipped off, along with some food coloring, as part of a care package to a daughter kind of trapped by the pandemic. The other batch is sitting here awaiting being turned into pretty little pieces, perhaps adorned with nuts or chocolate chips.