Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

November 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm

I nonchalantly mentioned at home that we should stop eating meat. I have now been requested to come up with SEVEN different vegetarian recipes.

Any help welcome.

katastrofa

Re: Need Help: Vegetarian Recipes

November 11th, 2018, 7:28 pm

IMHO, only if you give up on meat and dairy altogether, you will really feel the difference.

1. Fast and hearty curry. For example, squash and spinach. Peel and cut the squash (some varieties don't require peeling, e.g. Uchiki Kuri a.k.a. Hokkaido squash as it's where it comes from) in cubes. I first shortly heat up spices in a dry pan to release all flavours: half a teaspoon of ginger and 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and hot chilli - depending on how spicy you like it (I probably add some cinnamon and nutmeg too - it's in my muscle memory :-)). Add some sunflower or rapeseed oil (because they are best for frying) and fry 1 onion in it. Add the pumpkin cubes and 2-3 chopped garlic cloves and cook for about 10 minutes. Now there are two options: add a can of 1) coconut milk (which I don't like) or 2) chopped tomatoes, a really heaped spoonful of cashew butter, have a teaspoon of salt and sugar. Add a big bunch of spinach and cook until sufficiently soft. Serve on rice or with bread/baguette decorated with fresh coriander.

2. Ukrainian! Borscht  (BTW, Poles cannot make borscht despite claiming that it's their traditional dish) - there are lots of recipes, but the simplest every-day one is to cook a vegetable broth, cut or grate a bunch of beetroots, add chopped fried onion and 1 garlic clove), spices (1 bay leave, 2 allspice berries, 1 clove, which you need to remove before serving - good luck, pepper and hot paprika), you can also add herbs such as marjoram or lovage and any veggies you like (cubes of potatoes, cooked beans, cabbage, etc.). I serve it with croquettes: fry big flat pancakes with some salt instead of sugar. For filling fry chopped mushroom and onion and add to chopped sauerkraut, add salt and pepper according to taste. Spread the filling on a pancake, roll it like this (optionally: dip in a mixture of chickpea or other sticky flour with water, roll in fine breadcrumbs) and fry.

I eat lightly (mostly fruits, salads and cooked veggies) and like oriental flavours. I know and tried out lots of recipes of many kinds. If you tell me what you and your family like, I come up with something better suited to your taste buds and calorific needs.

katastrofa

November 14th, 2018, 4:11 am

You can also cook dal with regular or plant (e.g. coconut milk) or Hungarian letcho with sliced and fried oyster mushrooms. Pasta with pesto and cooked or marinated vegetables is very quick (my favourite version is with broccoli, marinated artichoke hearts, capers and a crushed garlic clove + pepper and salt). And if you're really desperate, they sell vegan products which perfectly imitate all kinds and sorts of meat in every bigger supermarket these days: burgers, pulled (yikes!) pork, chicken, fish, etc. - I get sick from looking at them :-D

katastrofa

November 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Spanish paella is vegan. It's my "zero-waste" dish: I make it when I have to use up some veggies. The only spices and herbs it requires are salt, pepper and rosemary (not to much). I pour a quarter of a glass of white wine and cook rice with saffron. I'm not sure what the saffron does - if I added enough to give the rice a nice yellow colour it would taste nasty.

Two more recipes and you're cooking (vegan) with gas! :-)

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 24th, 2018, 10:14 am

Anyone ever tried this?

Maori used  the pith of the trunk as well as its fleshy root and the young leaf bud as a rich food source and since Cook’s voyage to New Zealand, the cabbage tree’s edible leaf bud was also used by Europeans. High in sugars the fleshy rhizomes were steam-cooked in earth ovens to produce kauru, a carbohydrate-rich food, that was used to sweeten other foods. The growing tips of leaves were eaten raw or cooked as vegetable. Cabbage trees served not just as a food source but were also used in spiritual, medicinal and practical manner. For instance the tough fiber, once extracted from the leaves, was highly valued for its strength and durability especially in seawater. It is stronger than flax fiber and was therefore used for making anchor ropes, fishing lines, cooking mats, baskets, sandals, leggings (as protection when travelling in South Island high country) and ropes, that could be build into Morere swings for Maori kids to play with. Either boiled up or pounded into a paste various parts of the cabbage tree were used to treat illnesses or injuries as well.

ppauper

November 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

I never knew that cabbages grew oh trees.  
So what's with cabbage patch kids?

katastrofa

November 24th, 2018, 7:45 pm

By simple logic, Storks bring the children. Since storks are flying birds, they sit on trees and leave the children there. If the children are found in the cabbage, it must have grown on a tree. If those were emus or ostriches - but everybody knows that the storks bring children. That's why birth rates in rural areas are higher.

katastrofa

November 24th, 2018, 7:46 pm

How if your transition to veganism going, Cuchulainn?
BTW, I was thinking about you and Collector when making this thing:
BF662728-B3B6-4518-B291-8CC05CEF6028.jpeg

bearish

November 24th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Planning to cook this one tonight: South Indian-Style Vegetable Curry. To balance out the meal for those not entirely vegetarian, there will be a rack of lamb.

bearish

November 25th, 2018, 1:30 am

Planning to cook this one tonight: South Indian-Style Vegetable Curry. To balance out the meal for those not entirely vegetarian, there will be a rack of lamb.
It works pretty well, if possibly toward the light end of the spectrum for main course curries. It was only midway through the process that I realized that it is an Ellie Krieger recipe. Aside from having watched her on the Food Network, my wife and I actually once did a private cooking lesson + dinner with her as the outcome of a school fund raising event.

katastrofa

November 25th, 2018, 4:11 am

I add a spoonful of smooth cashew butter (or blended raw cashews) to thicken the curry for heavier eaters.

This is one of my favourite seasonal recipes:
http://mildredsrecipes.blogspot.com/201 ... ed_19.html
It tastes differently depending on how finely you chop the mushrooms :-)

katastrofa

January 8th, 2019, 10:58 am

I don't know French and don't trust automatic translators, but it's apparently advising Canadians to eat and drink less dairy: les Produits laitiers largement écartés
It follows some research and expert advice: Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets
Vegetarians and vegans are at reduced risk of certain health conditions, including ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity. Low intake of saturated fat and high intakes of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, soy products, nuts, and seeds (all rich in fiber and phytochemicals) are characteristics of vegetarian and vegan diets that produce lower total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and better serum glucose control. These factors contribute to reduction of chronic disease.

(I don't take any supplements. I don't want to confuse my organism. You know, all that enzymes and metabolic pathways mumbo jumbo.)

Collector

January 8th, 2019, 3:07 pm

C: "I nonchalantly mentioned at home that we should stop eating meat. "

I assume you have watched the good old documentary: Forks over Knives!! if not, watch it!

K: "I don't take any supplements.. " supplements mostly humbo mumbo, whole food much better, supported by more and more good research...many supplements sold to promote health likely harmful 

katastrofa

January 8th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Calcium fortification is another dangerous humbo mumbo jumbo. Bones are reservoirs of the excess of all sorts of nutrients and minerals from our diet, which can be used by the body in situations of limited availability. If there are not enough nutrients (e.g. processed foods), there's nothing to store and calcium won't be reabsorbed. Bone tissue loss and osteoporosis are thus not the consequences of low calcium intake (it's abundant in our foods), but of low calcium adsorption due to poor diet and lifestyle. It somewhat reminds me of boobies' blue feet, which get the colour from carotenoids in the birds' diet and are used for utilising the organism functions, but when in excess carotenoids gather in feet and send a signal "I'm strong and well-fed" to females :-)

My raw diet feels great so far - it was definitely a better idea than cutting my hair off (which I considered as an alternative) :-D I wouldn't recommend to start it in the winter though, because such transitions always takes some time to work out new eating and kitchen habits (you lose weight and go weak in this period). But try to include raw fruits in your vegan diet.
Last edited by katastrofa on January 8th, 2019, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

January 8th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.43.38 PM.png