SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

May 3rd, 2019, 12:11 am

Königin der Nacht from my time-zone perspective ;-) (Sorry. Diana Damrau. I had to.)

I wanted to ask if the sheep from whom this yarn came from were herd humanly and sheered consensually.

trackstar
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 12:28 am

You can read about Malabrigo yarns here:  Malabrigo Yarns - About Us

"We are a family owned yarn company located in Uruguay and we have developed a line of Hand-Dyed yarns of incredible softness and wonderful color variations. Our products are made out of the softest fibers available and inspired by nature, as well as landscapes, places, art and day-to-day life. This is what we try to represent when naming our 18 yarn varieties and the range of over 300 colors they come in.

Our wool is 100% produced by Uruguayan farms that allow their  free-range sheep through the hills and are herded by actual old-style shepherds. The controversial practice of mulling does not exist in Uruguay. Some of our yarns use other fibers, such Silky Merino (a blend of our Merino and top-quality Silk), Mora (100% Mulberry Silk) and Silkpaca (Baby Alpaca from Perú and top-quality Silk). As well as the brand new Dos Tierras, a blend with 50% of our Merino with 50% Baby Alpaca from Perú.
We always ensure that our materials come from the best suppliers available here in Uruguay and around the world."

So, yes, my choice supports small business owners and they in turn support responsible sheep and alpaca farming.

(And we, in turn, must exhibit the willingness to pay $25+/skein to support such business and farming practices)...

bearish

May 3rd, 2019, 1:00 am

Would this be the wrong time and place to offer an endorsement for the Montevideo Mercado del Puerto parilla? 

trackstar
Topic Author

May 3rd, 2019, 1:12 am

Would this be the wrong time and place to offer an endorsement for the Montevideo Mercado del Puerto parilla? 
Not at all - I just looked it up and it fits right in - so here is a song from Uruguay too.

trackstar
Topic Author

August 31st, 2019, 11:50 pm

Well, as you may know, there is no rest for the wicked! : D

So, while *some* young ladies out there have been hunting for black, white, or even *pink* swans (and no, those are not flamingos!), I made a small quilt today.

Lately I have been creating fabric "puzzles" with constraints:  

I buy quantities of scrap fabric (just odds and ends - remnants from other quilters) and try to make a nice freeform mini quilt from them.

This one is about 12" x 12" and I like how it came out.  Lots of angles and slanted seams and I have to work on 1/8 inch sewing much of the time (that is really small - 1/4" is normal and 1/2" is rather generous for seam allowances).

Anyway, the audience here is unlikely to be crazy about "crazy quilts" - but it is quantitative, geometric, and econo-physical in its way.

I will probably make another one tomorrow in orange, gold, green, and brown - for fall.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Attachments
dark angles.JPG

katastrofa

September 1st, 2019, 9:13 am

Nice! Can you make a topologically crazy one?
For the record, I'm not so young and strictly against hunting!

trackstar
Topic Author

September 1st, 2019, 11:38 am

Nice! Can you make a topologically crazy one?
For the record, I'm not so young and strictly against hunting!
Thank you! On age, maybe so; however, you are certainly young enough to be my much younger sister, and maybe even my daughter. : )

Topography is very interesting in fabrics and quilt design, of course.

Here are some samples:

Some are abstract geometrics, others are stylized on paisleys and in vibrant colors they remind me of Grateful Dead album art.

Batiks are also very popular now for "modern" quilting.  Fractals can be found in fabrics and designs too.

And finally I have always liked maps and coastlines, so I may do something along those lines - from maps of the world (Brexit vote map? hehe), to maps of the universe - eventually.

More fabrics to show with that in mind later on maybe.
Attachments
batik.jpeg
psychedelic.jpeg
abstractgeom.jpeg
Last edited by trackstar on September 3rd, 2019, 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

September 1st, 2019, 2:59 pm

And a little bonus: distinguishing topology from topography in quilting:

Here is a Klein quartic quilt, which contains 24 seven-sided polygons, with three meeting at each vertex.

Featured in this article:

Knitting is coding in this physics lab - Today May 24 2019

When I am in the UK this fall, I will go to Liberty of London. One of the best fabric places I know!
Attachments
klein quartic quilt.jpg

trackstar
Topic Author

September 3rd, 2019, 11:21 pm

One more thought on fabric and design - Linton Tweeds, also in the UK, has some wonderful patterns.

https://www.lintondirect.co.uk/product- ... ry/fabric/

If one were creating strange quilted forms, some of these would be perfect.

Just one example here.

Enjoy the fall. : )
Attachments
FDD85BDA-8293-435A-8262-5B901C71E6AE.jpeg

Paul

September 4th, 2019, 12:47 am

I had a nice jacket from Liberty. The fabric of the lining was indeed amazing. It was when big shoulders were in. If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em I thought. Overnight big shoulders disappeared. One and only time I’ve tried to be fashionable.

trackstar
Topic Author

September 8th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Thinking more about various types of crazy quilts, I have started making blocks with a wide variety of patterns, but in colors that harmonize well together.

Some may become small stand-alone pieces and some might take on more convoluted forms sewn together, but with the harmonies in the colors, it will hard to see where one piece ends and the other begins.

And that can be topologically crazy in itself!

A few starters here:
bluevariations.JPG
BTW - the out of kilter aspect of the large square is not due to mistakes in sewing - it is the cuts of scrap fit together - so it is similar to the "Log Cabin" classic pattern, but a kind of Tower of Pisa Log Cabin (or maybe a drunken cabin!)

katastrofa

September 9th, 2019, 4:47 pm

"Drunk in log cabin" - I won't ask about the inspiration ;-)
Since you are not afraid to quilt after drinking, how about rotated squares?
(it's a bit nauseating, isn't it?)

Or the ultimate purrfection:

trackstar
Topic Author

September 9th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I like both of those but especially the pin wheel.

Indeed I do own a log cabin and it’s over 100 years old now! So it has that tipsy charm...

As for drinking, two glasses of wine with dinner occasionally is enough.

However if you rolled the plumpest joint ever seen on this forum, well then... let’s light it up. ;)

Then that pinwheel will really begin to spin!

katastrofa

September 9th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Two glasses of wine is way too much for me. I fall asleep after two small beers.

Pink Floyd's Echo inspired quilt could be very zen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBca3xf-j3o

trackstar
Topic Author

September 9th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Yes and In fact I am working on fabric groupings for a DSOTM quilt - each triangle and prism effect will be different. Background might be black, shades of deep gray or dark/midnight blue from block to block.
Attachments
CFC05D84-7D45-494B-97E4-6F6F845BAA65.jpeg
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On