Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

November 21st, 2020, 12:11 pm

Well, I was planning a nice dinner for Thanksgiving, but the state has locked down and only people from Vermont or Hawaii can come here now.

That is ok (and sensible) though - I've had plenty of nice holiday parties here before, so now just enjoy peace, love, and solitude this holiday season. 

The views are still magnificent. : )

Philosophers and scientists ask, "What is reality."
This is a version of it, one of my favorites.

Enjoy your weekends!

katastrofa

November 21st, 2020, 3:39 pm

I swear I was 100% focused on that onion, performing the task in complete silence with no distractions (Leela slept), and the Allium cepa was already chopped in slices. Being a largely rawtarian vegan, I'm also an experienced chopper! It was as if some evil mind control made me turn my hand holding the knife in a strange direction to purposely run it across my finger! I howled from pain like a wolf over the Humani (Mollusca?) sanguis and my first thought was: why am I cutting my finger?

OMG! I'm POSSESSED! I don't need vitamins, I need a shaman!

I’m concerned that you may have fallen under the spell of Collector. You’re just a few miles away from him and he recently posted a picture of a pink onion that he subsequently confessed to have bled into. Coincidence?
Humani Sanguinis is not an actual onion variety? It was his blood?

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2020, 12:24 am

It was a white-gray and chilly day, but very nice walking in the woods for a few hours this afternoon. I took lots of pictures - many interesting things emerged from the forest.  But here I will just show the broad pine needle pathway and a field where I found some beautiful moss, still vivid green despite several frosty mornings.

Then went home for tea and warm scones! 

leptoq

November 23rd, 2020, 1:05 am

It was a white-gray and chilly day, but very nice walking in the woods for a few hours this afternoon. I took lots of pictures - many interesting things emerged from the forest.  But here I will just show the broad pine needle pathway and a field where I found some beautiful moss, still vivid green despite several frosty mornings.

Then went home for tea and warm scones! 
Nice pictures, trackstar! Once you feel too bored with solitude you should come to NYC. We got here some parties https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/22/nyc-sher ... -up-covid/

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2020, 1:46 am

leptoq, it is always delightful to hear from you and I appreciate your concern for my well being. : )

I hope that you are wearing a mask and any other protective gear you need at these exciting NY parties!

Certainly we all enjoy a glimpse of an adventurous lifestyle and people here can start making plans for the post-Covid19 world.

Personally, I would like to see Stonehenge and explore other ancient sites in the UK. You can imagine what those parties were like back in the day!   

Callanish Stones, Outer Hebrides, Scotland

katastrofa

November 23rd, 2020, 9:51 am

Come to Oslo, the world capital of one-night stands, where stable relationships or any form of romantic dedication are considered an abuse of personal freedom :-)

Personal freedom to shag anyone you wish, obviously - and they are as mindful about it as some infamous African countries (the old article seemed to have popped up in the news service especially for me when I arrived to Oslo - but I already knew from some statistical research for previous jobs that men here are walking STD panels! :-)).

Don't get me wrong, i love Norwegians also for that.

Many people won't understand it, but for me it's like with choklit. I love it! I love a bit choklit! Ooooh choklit! Choklit! Choklit! Choklit! I'm Marjorie Dawes of choklit ;-) But after over 15 years of eating it once or twice a day, it becomes an attraction to stop eating it completely (or keep the whole bar for yourself).

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2020, 11:46 am

Thank you for the invitation - a good laugh. No doubt we could do a version of “Girls Gone Wild” there. : D

But if Scandilous promiscuity would be at one extreme for me, based on my long time hermitage, love and marriage is at the other. I like the idea of marriage now, after many years of philosophical rebellion.

A few nights ago, I was reading one of my favorite books and came across this phrase:

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

I will just sit on a granite bench and watch the river flow by, maybe... : )

Paul

November 23rd, 2020, 5:51 pm

Sci-fi that became real - a movie for the weekend:

Alpha Go - The Movie

Happy to take movie recs for the winter and I'm not like Paul; one mistake and you're done. Haha. : )

Amazon Prime Originals I have enjoyed (so all are series): 

1. The Man in The High Castle
2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
3. Fleabag
4. Carnival Row
5. Hanna
Sixty years ago we had Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant with rapid-fire one liners. Now we have grunting (The Witcher, Mandalorian,...)

bearish

November 23rd, 2020, 7:14 pm

Thank you for the invitation - a good laugh. No doubt we could do a version of “Girls Gone Wild” there. : D

But if Scandilous promiscuity would be at one extreme for me, based on my long time hermitage, love and marriage is at the other. I like the idea of marriage now, after many years of philosophical rebellion.

A few nights ago, I was reading one of my favorite books and came across this phrase:

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

I will just sit on a granite bench and watch the river flow by, maybe... : )

That sounded familiar:
https://dilbert.com/strip/1999-08-22

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2020, 8:11 pm

It's from the Tao Te Ching, which I read every now and then.

Great quote and there are many others in that book:

“He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."

That's what I've been working on - hard work and not finished yet! LOL

Do you recognize this one? 

“The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.” 

Alan probably will... there is a hint. Plus (next line):

"And you have burned so very very bright,..."

Paul

November 23rd, 2020, 9:33 pm

Elton John?

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

Elton John?
Ah, Candles in the Wind - nice free association, but no.

Bladerunner - Dr. Tyrell to Roy Batty at the mansion:

Twice as Bright
short clip

and this is charming: 9 seconds of Grant and Hepburn in Charade:

Do you know....?

Agreed! 

@1963; they don't make them like they used to.

katastrofa

November 24th, 2020, 1:41 am

Henry Cavill could fart at me from the screen and I'd still delight in watching his shapey butt ;-)
Geralt indeed grunts a lot in Sapkowski's book. Great writer, btw, and a wise guy, even if he was drunk for the most of his life - or that's why he drank. Not Nobel-style wiseass or woke like that Glück, Munro and other grannies or even Tokarczuk (I obviously love her because she wants to kill hunters, but she's no writer).

Just my views.

trackstar
Topic Author

November 24th, 2020, 2:51 am

An Ode to Cantor

Behold the Continental philosophers,
spinning their soliloquies
sunrise to sunset, quotidienne to
the full extent of their preciousities.

Comes one Georg Cantor
with a neatly boxed apparatus.
"DEFINE yourselves," he says
"through my Infinite and well-ordered sets!"

Creating Confusion, Fear, Curiosity,
and then HOPE...

Infinity of Infinities!

And so life goes on.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset...
Sun Sets.

- trackstar

I decided to look back on this thread and see what has happened since its inception. I didn't get further than this poem before i started laughing. Hilarious BS.

I'll add a song for you all:

Good Times - Chic

Believe it or not, they are, somehow.

trackstar
Topic Author

November 24th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Hey, wha'happened?  I saw Cuchulainn trolling one of my fans and now it's gone!! 

Anyway, here is a FUNKY song for a cold night:

Flashlight - Parliament Funkadelic

leptoq - try this - and shake that USSR a$$ : D