SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

January 12th, 2021, 2:09 am

Is that a stylized turtle at the bottom? And you pulled a Kat on us in the other thread. Just saying...

trackstar
Topic Author

January 12th, 2021, 2:30 am

Might be turtles all the way down! 

Yes, I pulled my rather dull and uninspiring monologue interior of the current political situation from Trump 100. Nothing people could not find on their own in articles online on ABC and FT today. It's so polarizing though, hard to talk about it with some kind of balance and keeping a wide variety of contexts in mind.

Just like humor can be here and online in general sometimes - unless you cover with smileys and winks and LOLs, people may think you are serious. And even if you do cover with {all of the above}, then maybe you are being ironic or sarcastic or even more difficult, Sardonic.

Anyway, the American Political Circus will continue tomorrow. In the old days (1971), there was a song, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott Heron
(Kind of spoken word over jazz riffs with a bass beat - presaging hip hop.)

Now we can ask, "Will the inauguration be Zoomed?"

katastrofa

January 12th, 2021, 12:16 pm

She pull me??
Dull and uninspiring monologue interior?! I beg your pardon? And you're vice versa :-P

Just like with most things, a part of mastering irony and sarcasm is knowing when to stop. Otherwise one stops making sense - and we all have to strive to make some sense of this world, especially now.
Sardonicism, or even worse - cynicism, is a state of a poisoned soul. Difficult to treat and uncollaborative. Cat compress has been shown to alleviate the symptoms, but there is no common cure.

I'm sticking to goofy, groan-inspiring jokes and remarks. There's nothing more rewarding than triggering Cuchulainn or Paul :-D

trackstar
Topic Author

January 12th, 2021, 12:53 pm

She pull me??
Dull and uninspiring monologue interior?! I beg your pardon? And you're vice versa :-P

Just like with most things, a part of mastering irony and sarcasm is knowing when to stop. Otherwise one stops making sense - and we all have to strive to make some sense of this world, especially now.
Sardonicism, or even worse - cynicism, is a state of a poisoned soul. Difficult to treat and uncollaborative. Cat compress has been shown to alleviate the symptoms, but there is no common cure.

I'm sticking to goofy, groan-inspiring jokes and remarks. There's nothing more rewarding than triggering Cuchulainn or Paul :-D
katastrofa, no, nothing about you - bearish meant that I had posted on the Trump thread last night and then decided to delete it. Just as you sometimes change your mind and delete - free speech can be retracted by the speaker/writer too. You were here on the Forum then and you may have read that post yourself. It partly answered your earlier question about who is protesting. The content was only about the composition of the crowds, the possible events of next week, and trying to see where things are headed in the US, especially in Washington DC.  It wasn't sardonic in itself either.

Complicated times here and it's natural to want to share observations and compare ideas with other people. Some interesting, insightful, and diverse ones on Twitter here and there, Nassim and some of his tribe especially, but very few people try to understand various angles or discuss evenly. In terms of things around here, you and I have had some spirited exchanges now and then - mostly humorous, at least in my intention and opinion, but I would not post stuff behind your back and delete it. That's all there is to it - enough housekeeping and let's all try to enjoy the rest of today.

katastrofa

January 12th, 2021, 1:21 pm

I know you wouldn't! I was just cracking a groaner dipped in monologue interior :-)

trackstar
Topic Author

January 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm

PS: rereading I see another inadvertent problem - when I said "dull and uninspiring monologue" that was certainly not aimed at your posts - that was explaining why I decided to take my post down.  It was too long, to speculative, and too many ways to misread it. 

Like studying US politics, dissecting posts here has become like peeling the layers of an onion! - :)

But I'll just say, not allium cepa sanguines - let's just make a nice green salad!

Haha - I see the cat. Indeed! It does show though - the challenges of communications online.  

Maybe your AI work can help with the US political spectrum - crystal ball?

bearish

January 12th, 2021, 2:18 pm

And while we’re on the topic of pulling - I want the snow lion back!

Cuchulainn

January 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm

I'm sticking to goofy, groan-inspiring jokes and remarks. There's nothing more rewarding than triggering Cuchulainn or Paul

I can imagine. We've got the dolphins on our side.
My C++ Boost code gives
262537412640768743.999999999999250072597198185688879353856337336990862707537410378210647910118607313

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Cuchulainn

January 12th, 2021, 5:00 pm

PS: rereading I see another inadvertent problem - when I said "dull and uninspiring monologue" that was certainly not aimed at your posts - that was explaining why I decided to take my post down.  It was too long, to speculative, and too many ways to misread it. 

Like studying US politics, dissecting posts here has become like peeling the layers of an onion! - :)

But I'll just say, not allium cepa sanguines - let's just make a nice green salad!

Haha - I see the cat. Indeed! It does show though - the challenges of communications online.  

Maybe your AI work can help with the US political spectrum - crystal ball?
In fairness, monoiogues interiors tend to context-sensitive. 

For AI get deep fake detectors from Cork.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/muns ... 03374.html
My C++ Boost code gives
262537412640768743.999999999999250072597198185688879353856337336990862707537410378210647910118607313

katastrofa

January 13th, 2021, 12:53 am

I don't know about you, trackstar, but where I come from, calling someone monollusc inferior is considered deeply offensive. We are hard solid loqueáis! No calmaríais!

The snow lion is sleeping nå. The weather was fantastic; a bit murky from heavy snowfall so I had to use a head lamp outside (and also inside - power outages). It made the forest look even more magical, though. I'm training V2. I have to get better gear for the next season (e.g. my skillerinas are too wide for my feet, which is quite distracting). I will probably have this one ridden down to the ground anyway :-)

trackstar
Topic Author

January 13th, 2021, 2:53 am

katastrofa

January 13th, 2021, 10:24 am

Apropos dolphins, my aunt's grandfather on her mother's side lived in the same estuary with a fish who went to school with 44. Allegedly, quite a shallow guy.

trackstar
Topic Author

January 15th, 2021, 3:28 pm

A Word on Networks and Nodes

If you recall from the 1990s, "Metcalfe's Law" stated that the effect of a telecommunications network is proportional to the square of the number of connected users of the system. For the dot-com era, this was adapted to say that the value of a network increased exponentially with the number of nodes. VCs liked that very much and valued accordingly. ; )

With big disruptions now, this is a good time to study networks and two of the main things I have been observing through others are 1) how they grow and 2) how hard it can be to extricate oneself from them.

Among my friends and relatives, some people are trying to downscale for various reasons and it is hard. People think that they are being unfriended, unlinked, and unfollowed due to differences in politics or 1st amendment conversations. But it is not always the case. Instead, some people have become wary of their own creations and just want to take a step back for now.

I have scaled back too, but not due to any ideological differences, real or perceived; for me it has just been a rethinking of exposed networks and their characteristics - both strengths and weaknesses. It's been great to have an avatar, join large semi-anonymous communities, and chat with/learn things from interesting people. But the networks can start taking on a life of their own - complex adaptive systems in themselves, with flaws, biases, judgments, and herd behaviors, as we see. Not surprising and not rocket science, but it's more out front now than it is normally.

Anyway, reading more on this and if you find it interesting too - one place for CAS research is the Santa Fe Institute.

I'm looking for all kinds of resources on networks from a broad spectrum of political, legal, social, and technical perspectives.  So, recommendations are welcome.

Going light now - less is more.  But enjoy your weekends!

Edit: changed quasi-anonymous to semi-anonymous. Simplify!
Last edited by trackstar on January 15th, 2021, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

January 15th, 2021, 3:46 pm

But it is not always the case. Instead, some people have become wary of their own creations and just want to take a step back for now.

Just stick to Wilmott Forum and forget all those fake sites.

Let's hope mass tourism is over.

“The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.”

― G.K. Chesterton 
My C++ Boost code gives

trackstar
Topic Author

January 15th, 2021, 3:54 pm

"To travel is better than to arrive."

Do not worry - I lurked a little bit but didn't register on anything "scary" recently and I don't have the time for more than this esteemed Forum (he he) and the Twitterverse.

Even there, I watch some interesting discussions, but am not deeply engaged - I have almost no followers and no great Twitter personages would ever like, retweet, reply to, or quote me.

(If TheRealDonaldTrump had ever said, "trackstar, I saw you at the ninth hole and you're just wrong, you should be holding the golf club like this..." then I would have had 150 million followers overnight. But that never happened!) : D

That's when your own network is going to go exponential. I am far below such radar and happily insignificant!

• Advertisement

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On