Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

February 7th, 2021, 8:48 pm

First snow (+storms) here in 11 years. Must be global cooling.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

February 7th, 2021, 10:20 pm

How is it possible to row on a frozen water? Or did you attach sledges to the boat? (-;

I've made some progress too. I extended my usual løype to 15 km, often under cover of the night because of work and short days. Last weekend I ran 20 km and found a new trail, very steep and sharp turns. I accelerated too much and fell turning my knee badly. Now it only doesn't hurt when I ski! :-D

trackstar
Topic Author

February 7th, 2021, 10:44 pm

How is it possible to row on a frozen water? Or did you attach sledges to the boat? (-;

I've made some progress too. I extended my usual løype to 15 km, often under cover of the night because of work and short days. Last weekend I ran 20 km and found a new trail, very steep and sharp turns. I accelerated too much and fell turning my knee badly. Now it only doesn't hurt when I ski! :-D
Good question - an erg is a rowing machine.  Rowers prefer to be on the open water naturally and some really hate the erg.
But I love mine - it's better than nothing in the wintertime!

Here is how it works:
as you will see playback here is disabled but the link shown will take you to the video.

Take good care of your knee - I have been going out on the river trails too - but mostly just walking with my yak trax on when it's icy out there.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

trackstar
Topic Author

February 7th, 2021, 11:01 pm

First snow (+storms) here in 11 years. Must be global cooling.
Snowing here too - all afternoon!  Psyched!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

katastrofa

February 7th, 2021, 11:11 pm

They look impressively strong. Probably produce the whole hydropower share of the Netherlands' energy.

bearish

February 7th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Those rowing machines do not seem conducive to “flow”, which I understand is a thing. For a pretty good read on the topic, see “The Boys in the Boat”.

trackstar
Topic Author

February 8th, 2021, 2:23 am

Those rowing machines do not seem conducive to “flow”, which I understand is a thing. For a pretty good read on the topic, see “The Boys in the Boat”.
Actually I have a Concept 2, not one of those. And indeed "flow" is a thing in rowing, as in life!

Good book. And here is what it is like racing.
It is an amazing feeling - as you know from your ski racing days!

trackstar
Topic Author

February 8th, 2021, 3:10 pm

more snow last night and just finished shoveling the long driveway and walkways - no plows or snow blowers here.  Old fashioned way!

One view - and a question: if this was your house...

would you be throwing rocks?  Or maybe just soft, playful snowballs!

Disclaimer: that is not my house, but I like it!

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2021, 4:09 pm

One of my employees (Niels, @5.12) at the time was in Holland 8. We used to chat a bit ... last 2 WC they came 2nd to the Yanks. The trump card was their finish. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUqPy6iszQ
David Wheeler

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2021, 4:25 pm

At this stage this throw is what I am just about able to do. The biggest thrill is pining the opponent into the ground. Left and right!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zow2y-cWMbM
David Wheeler

trackstar
Topic Author

February 14th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Haha. Looks great, but I prefer rugby!

trackstar
Topic Author

February 15th, 2021, 12:39 pm

News from Antarctica:

Antarctic researchers discover mysterious creatures deep beneath ice shelf - Cnet February 15

22 individual animals found - how did they get there?

CarterMcCoy

February 15th, 2021, 12:44 pm

News from Antarctica:

Antarctic researchers discover mysterious creatures deep beneath ice shelf - Cnet February 15

22 individual animals found - how did they get there?
Let me guess - a hole mysteriously opened in the ice pack that goes down to the actual continent.  Researchers investigate and are then attacked by Predators and Xenomorphs.  :D :D 

trackstar
Topic Author

February 15th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Let me guess - a hole mysteriously opened in the ice pack that goes down to the actual continent.  Researchers investigate and are then attacked by Predators and Xenomorphs.  :D :D 
Haha - I like that!  Reminds me of two movies: The Abyss (1989) (pretty good) and more recently The Cave (2005), but The Cave wasn't great.

There may be others too - horror/extreme adventure movies. 

CarterMcCoy

February 15th, 2021, 12:58 pm

The Abyss wasn't bad.  There are a load of other terrible underwater movies (Leviathan, etc.) which are ridiculous wastes of time.

Fun fact: I watched Aliens vs. Predators at a movie theater in my college Dorf way back when.

There was a meme floating around about new species finds in Antarctica.  The statement on the meme was "Given what's going on in the world, not now.  We don't need this now." Hahahaha.