SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

March 19th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Nice, but this season's trend is a hazmat suit:

Particle-tight, durable, with an extra space for an oxygen tank and a breathing apparatus.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 19th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Haha - nice.  

Need these in a good selection of colors and maybe an optional ruffle or small bow at the waist to add interest.

Or one step further:

Practical, safe, and has a steam punk vibe!

Cuchulainn

March 19th, 2020, 6:43 pm

trackstar
Topic Author

March 20th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Lots of reading today and starting some seeds indoors this weekend.

(I think my planned spy movie marathon will be postponed. ; )

trackstar
Topic Author

March 21st, 2020, 3:22 am

Made Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Terrine this evening and it is delicious.  Not the most photogenic dish I have ever made so I will spare you the picture, but here is the recipe. Instead of fromage blanc, I used Manchego cheese - a little sharp and very nice. And that's it for today. 

Paul

March 21st, 2020, 3:47 am

If a jar of kimchi explodes when opened is that a sign of quality or that it's gone off? I'm going with quality. It tasted fine.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 21st, 2020, 3:51 am

If a jar of kimchi explodes when opened is that a sign of quality or that it's gone off? I'm going with quality. It tasted fine.
wow - be careful - with sharp tasting things like that, it's hard to tell if they are "off"

until 20 minutes later....

I recently realized that I had a plastic jug of apple cider far back in the fridge and it was quite swollen.

Not always thinking things through, I tried to open it in the sink and it exploded - cider went everywhere.

I should have taken it outside and just thrown it at a tree. :D 

good luck and hope you are still with us in the morning! 

trackstar
Topic Author

March 26th, 2020, 10:38 am

This could go on the Humour thread, but we are not heading for the Gallows yet, so...

My sister has been studying up, as I have, on small scale agriculture and she sent this list to me yesterday - what she can grow on her property this year:

"Using my barn bed and the hill - both are ideal:

Tomatoes.                  Spinach 
Peppers.                      Carrots
Strawberries.              Onions
Corn.                             Lettuce
Peas.                             Garlic
Beans.                           Potatoes 
Pumpkin.                       Broccoli
Squash.                           Raspberry 

Back yard and containers for herbs:

Mint.              Chive 
Lavender.       Spearmint 
Sage.               Peppermint 
Basil.                Dill
Oregano.          Lemongrass
Rosemary.        Thyme
Bay leaf.            Anise
Ginger.                Fennel
Marjoram.         Caraway
Chamomile.       Lemon balm
Lemon verbena
..."

She already grows some of those things, so we'll just expand the plots and build out.

Does this look crazy ambitious?  Sure. But you don't really know us.  

Hold our flagons of mead... : )

trackstar
Topic Author

March 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm

No long tales or dark humor today, but if you understand military jargon, I am "present and accounted for."

Wish you all a good weekend, as much as possible.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 27th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Not to be alarmist, but here is a concern we have discussed a little bit previously:

The Workers Who Supply the World’s Food Are Starting to Get Sick - Bloomberg March 27

So you may have laughed or scoffed at my "ambitious" post a few days ago, but we are starting our indoors plantings this weekend.

It is a good time of year - the questions will be weather, keeping animals out of the gardens, and keeping the insects down.  

Insects are a very challenging enemy, much worse than groundhogs and rabbits.  And we do not want to use pesticides. But we will figure it out.

One plant at a time, one day at a time. : )

trackstar
Topic Author

March 28th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Went to the local farm stand early this morning (yes, I broke my own |quarantine| briefly, but I do have N95 masks now).

Good to support the local growers and store was well-stocked. 

Also some roses - so far, so good here (seemingly) and back in the fortress now.

As before, I wish you all a good weekend.

Austriarian

March 28th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Not to be alarmist, but here is a concern we have discussed a little bit previously:

The Workers Who Supply the World’s Food Are Starting to Get Sick - Bloomberg March 27

So you may have laughed or scoffed at my "ambitious" post a few days ago, but we are starting our indoors plantings this weekend.

It is a good time of year - the questions will be weather, keeping animals out of the gardens, and keeping the insects down.  

Insects are a very challenging enemy, much worse than groundhogs and rabbits.  And we do not want to use pesticides. But we will figure it out.

One plant at a time, one day at a time. : )
There's a plethora of solutions to the insect dilemma. Almost any longterm farmer, who's resisted pesticides, has a solution derived from experimentation. Do you have access to knowledgeable farmers in your area? 

I remember visiting a 3 acre organic farm ("Organik" was the name) in Llanogrande, Colombia.  They were completely self sustainable, the only purchases it made were manure and rocks from a mining operation, and they used a solution of fermented ginger and garlic as a pesticide.  

trackstar
Topic Author

March 28th, 2020, 3:17 pm

There's a plethora of solutions to the insect dilemma. Almost any longterm farmer, who's resisted pesticides, has a solution derived from experimentation. Do you have access to knowledgeable farmers in your area? 

I remember visiting a 3 acre organic farm ("Organik" was the name) in Llanogrande, Colombia.  They were completely self sustainable, the only purchases it made were manure and rocks from a mining operation, and they used a solution of fermented ginger and garlic as a pesticide.  
That is a very good point and indeed - we are researching and will connect with some of the local organizations around here.  There are more than one might expect and a number of farmers markets too (if and when they open back up) for socializing and studying up on what people are doing.

As a side note, I have been a little brash for humor's sake here, but there really is a lot to know, so it's an exciting and productive use of time these days. There are many wise old farmers and farm families across New England and we will be listening and learning...

katastrofa

March 28th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Natural pesticides work slowly and are best at prevention, so you need to use them early enough, e.g. extract from tobacco or nettles is good against aphids, infusion from wormwood is good against fungus, etc. - it's good to add garden soap to help the substance stick to the plant.
Similarly, planting flowers and herbs like marigolds around the vegetable patches will chase away many insects or obscure the flavour of plants they like.
Planning the garden is also very important in this aspect. From the obvious rules, such as assuring access to light, to planting by similar soil pH requirements, etc.
And of course, how much you should plant of what vegetables - otherwise you end up eating broccoli for three weeks.

@groundhogs and rabbits
If they are having too big a party in your garden, pour some fermented elderberry leaves in their holes. They hate the smell and should move out.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 30th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Thank you for those suggestions - the books I have offer similar ideas and so will continue to develop effective organic strategies alongside the physical structures.

Today - nice rain again, so various kinds of work, and a little fun too. I just finished this quilt top in batiks, with a tropical, summery theme.

I also realized that some of the men here might like to see one of the rotary cutter mats I am using - this is the largest one. (I understand if you like the mat even better than the quilts themselves.  It's ok. : ))
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On