SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: trackstar's Needle Exchange

November 23rd, 2019, 12:53 am

Salaam, Trackstar joon! :-) The cookbook looks interesting! Have fun! People get discouraged from Arabian kitchen, because they aren't used to using spices in such amounts and reduce the quantities. The spices are supposed to help digest and break down all the carbs - disarm the bomb so to speak (:

BTW, I suspect you of knitting as much of all those shawls and scarves as those tiny squares, and putting them away bored. I think you subconsciously just want to collect colourful balls of yarns. Might be Smokey's pheromones...

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm

Salaam, Trackstar joon! :-) The cookbook looks interesting! Have fun! People get discouraged from Arabian kitchen, because they aren't used to using spices in such amounts and reduce the quantities. The spices are supposed to help digest and break down all the carbs - disarm the bomb so to speak (:

BTW, I suspect you of knitting as much of all those shawls and scarves as those tiny squares, and putting them away bored. I think you subconsciously just want to collect colourful balls of yarns. Might be Smokey's pheromones...
Good tip! More spice - just like more cowbell. (very funny SNL skit from some years ago.)

On amassing a serious yarn collection hehe - well there is nothing subconscious about that.  : D

But on finishing these projects - the problem is not boredom, but time. 

And I haven't even mentioned embroidery and crewel here yet. 

I'm off to help my sister train her dogs for Search and Rescue soon (not joking - and in truth, I do enjoy being rescued from time to time. ; )).

In this case, I have to go and hide deep in the woods - sometimes behind a rocky ledge or up in a tree.  They do not see me leave and then they have to find me.

It's cold out there and if she wants me to go way out, I'll bring a blanket and a book.

Hold for a pic of some nice threads before I go...

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

Here is just one pile from the collection. The more colors, textures, and thicknesses the better.

I was at a shop in the lovely, quaint town of Damariscotta, Maine last summer and they were thinning their inventory. 

My lucky day!

See one skein against a pen for scale.

trackstar
Topic Author

November 23rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

And finally, for those who know (and those who don't!) - a cult classic from SNL.

More Cowbell - SNL

Enjoy the weekend!

bearish

November 23rd, 2019, 7:43 pm

Well, good luck on getting rescued (it's a great day for it out there), and don't be crewel!

Cuchulainn

November 23rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

I've been listening to drums since 2 pm today...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtSQCbAQxU

Spiinal Tap = 0.75*StatusQuo + 0.25*IronMaiden,

katastrofa

November 23rd, 2019, 8:53 pm

Here is just one pile from the collection. The more colors, textures, and thicknesses the better.

I was at a shop in the lovely, quaint town of Damariscotta, Maine last summer and they were thinning their inventory. 

My lucky day!

See one skein against a pen for scale.
When you mentioned Maine I remembered novels I read years ago: Lucy M. Mongomery's Anne of Avonlea series or Cider House Rules. That's the only depiction of that region I know - and Trackstar being rescued by a German shepherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsQLlk-T0s
Good one! Cheers! :-)

trackstar
Topic Author

November 24th, 2019, 12:30 am

Thank you all.  Yes, I was "lost" in the woods, then I was found.  Now I am home safely, but a bit chilled. Time for a little taste of cognac! 

To address bearish: I would only be crewel by request. Though if called upon, my needles are sharp and straight... : )

But seriously, some of the most intricate crewel work was done in the Tudor and Stuart periods - here is an example of Jacobean work. Time consuming, but very beautiful.

trackstar
Topic Author

November 24th, 2019, 12:43 am

And even decorative art can be quite subversive.  The V&A Museum has nice resources on needlework in general and a particular section on Mary, Queen of Scots, involving embroidery that she completed while in prison.  Interesting stories and a way to communicate without words.

Prison Embroideries of M QoS

katastrofa

November 24th, 2019, 9:37 am

William Morris is a more recent English name to mention here. He was a local emanation of the international sentiment to destroy all industry and go back to Middle Ages in the second half of the 19th century (and a son of a rich industrialist, afair - what a hypocrite). English version of Bauhaus or Mingei.
East London has a topical museum in Morris's family house in Walthamstow (don't go there, it's East London): https://www.wmgallery.org.uk/collection ... e/textiles

trackstar
Topic Author

November 24th, 2019, 1:28 pm

William Morris is a more recent English name to mention here. He was a local emanation of the international sentiment to destroy all industry and go back to Middle Ages in the second half of the 19th century (and a son of a rich industrialist, afair - what a hypocrite). English version of Bauhaus or Mingei.
East London has a topical museum in Morris's family house in Walthamstow (don't go there, it's East London): https://www.wmgallery.org.uk/collection ... e/textiles
ah yes, that old bohemian hypocrite WM! 

I love his designs. Just  as I love JMK's economic philosophy. I stand in solidarity with the Bohemian Hypocrites Party - and party we do! : )

Hehe. 

In fact, I have a small collection of WM repro fabrics and will be making Solstice/Christmas decorations with them.  

A selection of the fabrics and models for my designs here. A combination of fabrics for each, in patchwork with silk embroidery. 

None of this is saving the world, I know, but I take a little pleasant time with tea each day - relax my mind - and then back to work. : )

Cuchulainn

November 24th, 2019, 4:32 pm

You've become politicized in the last 3-6 months. How did it happen?

katastrofa

November 24th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Cuchulainn, it may have something to do with the early election.

Trackstar, can your sister dogs do this:

trackstar
Topic Author

November 25th, 2019, 1:46 am

Yes, the youngest one in particular - two years old and runs goats and sheep like a pro.

And likewise, I have decided to wrangle some of my content away from here, so farewell to the photos.

But it was colorful and fun while it lasted!

Cuchulainn

November 25th, 2019, 7:04 am

Cuchulainn, it may have something to do with the early election.
Politics becomes much clearer 10 years after. I would say UK productivity is dipping because people are obsessed with the Politics forum., Newsnight,..

The sooner it's over the sooner people can get back to doing real work.

A bit rough pickling on William Morris. He did no one no harm. All he wanted was a workers' paradise just like JC and in his own way, BJ.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On