Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

farmer
Topic Author

the great american novel

March 11th, 2020, 10:00 pm

I tried to take a shot at writing "The Great American Novel." Traditionally, this is a novel which uniquely captures the American experience, as contrasted against the British or European experience. I updated the concept by trying to capture the Florida experience.

Unfortunately, I believe I failed to write a decent book. And I have no ambition to rewrite it or write a new one. I don't like writing. Perhaps that is why I wrote as quickly as possible in six weeks, and produced garbage. Rather than give consideration to overall flow or plot.

http://seminolescam.com

It is rather vulgar and exploitative, designed to capture the relationships between old men and young girls in Florida, in the "metoo" era. It is in the "true crime" genre. Are the characters and scenes composite or apocryphal? It is not worth the work to push through it to answer that question.

trackstar

Re: the great american novel

March 11th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Not that you will care what I say, since I went to prep school and I love Ted Kennedy so much

But this is a very strong novel. I read the first few chapters, skipping around a bit and looked at some of the exhibits/other material.

A tough, real and even painful thing to read.

Will come back to it later.

farmer
Topic Author

March 11th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Painful? I am watching a man in a gratuitous shirt play steel drums at the Parrot Island lounge, I feel no pain whatsoever.

trackstar

March 11th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Painful? I am watching a man in a gratuitous shirt play steel drums at the Parrot Island lounge, I feel no pain whatsoever.
Opening lines to your second novel. Even though you say you have no ambition to write another one, you will.

You are hooked now.

farmer
Topic Author

April 11th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Even though you say you have no ambition to write another one, you will.

You are hooked now.
I wrote that only because I experienced one event in my whole life that I thought was worth writing about.

But I also wrote a psychological profile of the Gilgo Beach murderer. It is something I was always curious to read all the years it has been in the news. But there was only ever the typical nonsense about a white male in his 40's with meticulous habits or something. So I just decided to write the profile myself. I imagined a person that fits the evidence, rather than making the evidence fit a cookie-cutter hooker strangler.

farmer
Topic Author

May 15th, 2020, 1:51 am

Opening lines to your second novel. Even though you say you have no ambition to write another one, you will.

You are hooked now.
Actually I became a radical justice activist:

http://seminolescam.com/justice