SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: How should we deal with the coronavirus pandemic?

April 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Polish Chief Sanitary Inspector advised that a mask can be made of a bra cup. I've seen photos of people in the street actually wearing it. Fetishists.

trackstar

April 4th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Polish Chief Sanitary Inspector advised that a mask can be made of a bra cup. I've seen photos of people in the street actually wearing it. Fetishists.
If the idea of boobs will get more men to wear masks, that's fine with me. :  )

I am actually experimenting with a design where the mask has a finished, but open seam and (laugh) you can fit a light or medium thickness panty liner inside.) Absorbent side facing out, plastic shield side in. It will not be too bulky and will be more robust than a cotton fabric mask alone.  The seam will then be closed with a few small metal snaps. After you get home from your trip to grocery store etc., dispose of the liner, wash the mask, and you are ready for the next trip.  Deciding if it is a good design or not. 

Ideally, this insert idea could become a good N95 type material that could be produced in strips and used in this way, offering a different approach to the mass production of actual masks. Faster and more versatile maybe. 

Those N95 masks may be effective, but they are very uncomfortable and are causing serious abrasions and raw patches on people who are wearing them all the time in hospitals, etc.)

Paul
Topic Author

April 4th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Households to all wear same distinctive colour clothes. So when they sit together in the park yards from other households they won’t be pestered. Of course, people would abuse this. In which case lock them up and throw away the key.

katastrofa

April 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I think they should consider reopening parks. People take it more seriously now (they do keep distance) and we need extra space to disperse. Besides, we have lots of law enforcement services so why not use them to monitor the situation (make some money from fining coronomorons).

Paul
Topic Author

April 4th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Absolutely. Focus attention on the idiots who don't take it seriously, not the sensible people. But that would require a police force [Ed: surely you mean Police Service] that hadn't become lazy.

Cuchulainn

April 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm

katastrofa

April 6th, 2020, 2:39 am

The tigers in the Bronx Zoo have coronavirus and fell ill. I assume its SARS-Cov-2. I'm worried about my cat :-(

Paul
Topic Author

April 6th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Please stop calling it the Chinese Virus. It's racist.

Anyway, the Chinese Virus is a completely different illness that causes sufferers to tell their bosses what they want to hear regardless of the truth.

Paul
Topic Author

April 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Boris in intensive care.

Cuchulainn

April 6th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Please stop calling it the Chinese Virus. It's racist.

Anyway, the Chinese Virus is a completely different illness that causes sufferers to tell their bosses what they want to hear regardless of the truth.
"Wuhan virus".

Paul
Topic Author

April 6th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Dominic Raab sounds a bit croaky. 

Alan

April 6th, 2020, 10:56 pm

I wish Boris a speedy recovery. It does sound like he was Patient 0 for a bunch of folks. Trump was quite vague about it on tv today, but it sounded like there might be discussions about offering him (Johnson) convalescent plasma therapy if he needs it. It's pretty experimental at this point as a covid-19 treatment. 

Paul
Topic Author

April 7th, 2020, 7:59 am

Less than 50% of surviving if sent to ICU for Covid-19 in UK hospital.

Paul
Topic Author

April 7th, 2020, 10:41 pm

How I hate all the people being interviewed for TV while at home...everyone is in front of their enormous bookshelves. Ok, you're smart/privileged. Got it. Get over it.

What would you have as background?
I have PW Vols 1-3 and Collector on one 'background' (5 bookshelves in total). And I threw out 300 books last week, serious.
I am sick of the bookshelf backdrops. In a time of crisis we are supposed to take seriously people with so little imagination?

If I had to be in front of bookshelves I would stock it with my collection of sex manuals. It's very big. And so is the collection.
This is what I'd have: https://www.amazon.com/Bookshelves-Self-adhesive-Peel-stick-Wallpaper-VBS1401/dp/B074XJ153P

But I'd have it peeling at the corner.

Collector

April 8th, 2020, 10:33 am

any stats on covid people put on ventilators 

"The ICU mortality rate among those who required non-invasive ventilation was 23 (79%) of 29 and among those who required invasive mechanical ventilation was 19 (86%) of 22"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30110-7/fulltext

"We have some early published data on percentages which vary widely. A paper from China involved 710 Covid-19 patients; 52 were admitted to an ICU. Of the 22 who eventually required mechanical ventilation, 19 (86%) died. Another early study reported 31 of 32 (97%) mechanically ventilated patients died."
https://www.physiciansweekly.com/mortality-rate-of-covid-19-patients-on-ventilators/

I mean we need control grope, people not put on ventilators that are in same age grope, in about same status before put on ventilators. Dose it really save lives (affected by covid ?)

``The risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia increases with prolonged mechanical ventilation." 
Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia

"Patients treated at intensive care units (ICU) have an increased risk of catching infections. The most common of them is ventilator-associated " 
https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/2/656
Last edited by Collector on April 8th, 2020, 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On