Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul
Topic Author

Re: How should we deal with the coronavirus pandemic?

May 5th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Update: ..., travel across London, married lover, open marriage,...

Now I feel sick. I don't think it's the virus.

Cuchulainn

May 5th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Update: ..., travel across London, married lover, open marriage,...

Now I feel sick. I don't think it's the virus.
And travel back as well. How romantic. 

Won't find me practicing what I'm preaching
Won't find me making no sacrifice
But I can get you a pocketful of miracles
If you promise to be good, try to be nice
God will take good care of you
Just do as I say, don't do as I do

Paul
Topic Author

May 5th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Of course she's a leftie, climate-change activist. This is getting tedious.

I don't think his minor rule breaking is a good enough reason for resigning. But not declaring a potential conflict of interest is. (I.e. a friend-with-benefits activist who is part of the climate change cult.)

If he’d kept his nose clean this time next year he’d be in the House of Lords

katastrofa

May 6th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Shamed Neil Ferguson's lover said lockdown 'strained' her open marriage to lookalike husband a day after the couple enjoyed secret tryst - as Matt Hancock says he's 'speechless'

In a podcast on March 31, 24 hours after her first visit to his central London flat, Ms Staats, who is said to have met her lover on online dating site OkCupid a year ago, said of the lockdown: 'I think it's also a strain on – maybe strained has sounded too negative – but it's an interesting relationship challenge, for Chris [her husband] and my relationship.' 

Some people are helpless in their egoism.

Professor Ferguson was branded an 'arrogant hypocrite' by critics today for catastrophically 'undermining' the government's position and there was pressure for the police to fine him for ignoring the lockdown rules he helped create.

Not only that. He also said that he thought that he was "immune", while he should know that there is no indication that immunity to this virus can be acquired. In fact, given its mutation and recombination rate, it's likely that we can't talk about any immunity - see the paper I posted yesterday.

Well, I guess everybody who worked at the Western academia knows that intelligence is not necessarily relevant in the selection process.

BTW, so today you meet a guy, decide to marry him, have children and bring them up together, and in the meantime you make out with random guys from dating portals? What's happened to love?

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2020, 4:25 pm

'Secret tryst' contains one word too many.
Just think of all the other people in a similar plight,

In work-ethic NL it's called a 1-day weekend love.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpPhTFsti_k
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 6th, 2020, 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paul
Topic Author

May 6th, 2020, 4:26 pm

His gf is an anti Brexit, climate-change activist,...

Meat Loaf: “I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that.”

Ferguson: “Hold my beer.”

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2020, 4:38 pm

In the old days it was "want to see my etchings", now it's ODEs.
BTW how many square feet do you get for a 1.9m house these days in South London?

katastrofa

May 6th, 2020, 6:31 pm

'Secret tryst' contains one word too many.
Just think of all the other people in a similar plight,

In work-ethic NL it's called a 1-day weekend love.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpPhTFsti_k
Jepp, tautology.

I get people being with someone they love, being single for the freedom of shagging whoever eager comes in their way, swapping and switching between the two states for whatever reason - but I don't get the concept of open marriage. (Not that I don't accept it - do whatever you want as long as it doesn't increase my chances of catching the virus.) But, seriously, your body wants what your mind wants and vice versa - they showed it under fMRA, so the Descartesian myth of mind-body dualism is a sad excuse. What is it really about?? Unless love is dead and now chaos reigns... OMG, I talk like Slavoj Zizek! This lockdown must end! :-(

BTW, how about putting all singles in chastity belts for the time of lockdown?
Last edited by katastrofa on May 6th, 2020, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

May 6th, 2020, 6:52 pm

... Slavoj Zizek ...
You're slurring your speech again. Stick to shandy like me.

Paul
Topic Author

May 7th, 2020, 7:53 pm

I’m going to ask again. How can the $4 billion pa WHO not manage to coordinate definition of death with and from, dates of actual death, what has been tested for and with what results? How hard can it be?

katastrofa

May 7th, 2020, 8:22 pm

They do, in ICM-10, e.g. code W55.22XA: Struck by cow, initial encounter, code V91.07XA: Burn due to water-skis on fire, initial encounter or Z63.1: Problems in relationship with in-laws.
More here: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/the ... es/285737/

Collector

May 18th, 2021, 6:41 am

Viewpoint: To D or not to D in Covid?

"It is hard to escape the conclusion that vitamin D supplementation in doses of 400-4000 IU per day (depending on circumstances and needs) should be offered not only for bone and muscle health but also to optimise immune function."

https://www.pharmacymagazine.co.uk/to-d-or-not-to-d

Even with reference to people understanding risk-reward

Professors that have worked most of life on D vitamins have big problems getting published critics of health authorities on this issue (I hear by jungle telegraph...)

Collector

May 18th, 2021, 8:12 am

Low Circulating Vitamin D in Intensive Care Unit–Admitted COVID-19 Patients as a Predictor of Negative Outcomes

"The ICU patients had a low serum 25(OH)D concentration. Serum 25(OH)D concentrations ≤9.9 ng/mL on admission can be used to predict in-hospital mortality in patients with COVID-19. "

Summer is almost here, snow almost melted, make sure to not hide under the bed in your condo to avoid covid all summer!

katastrofa

May 18th, 2021, 3:18 pm

I don't think measuring intake or even levels of D vitamin is enough to establish its immune effect. The metabolism of D and other vitamins depends on many individual factors. One can be soaked with vitamins like a sponge but unable to metabolise a unit of it.

BTW, have you seen this research? https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/P ... evels.aspx (there was a similar Nature article not so long ago)
If the gut microbiome is so important in vitamin synthesis and metabolism, oral vitamin supplementation may not be enough - we need to revitalise the gut bacteria destroyed by the pesticide residue in our food.

Alan

May 18th, 2021, 5:22 pm

BTW, have you seen this research? https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/P ... evels.aspx 

"As expected, men who lived in San Diego, California got the most sun, and they also had the most precursor form of vitamin D."

I can confirm this. Ignoring the silly precursor vs active stuff, the best solution is always to spend the summer at the beach! :D