Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Good things that come out of this pandemic...

June 22nd, 2021, 7:30 pm

I don’t sense much interest in going back to the office among people I work with. I can’t help the feeling that many have developed certain habits and preferences over the last fifteen months, ranging from dog walking to afternoon drinking, that are not really compatible with office life. Not to mention the commute. And, like, having to wear shoes (and pants!). Since the most compelling reason to go to the office is to meet colleagues, I’m not quite sure that a critical mass will build up naturally. So management may be required to do something, although hopefully something a little less harsh than Goldman and Morgan Stanley.
Or, you are worried they have become anti-social?

bearish

June 22nd, 2021, 7:54 pm

I don’t sense much interest in going back to the office among people I work with. I can’t help the feeling that many have developed certain habits and preferences over the last fifteen months, ranging from dog walking to afternoon drinking, that are not really compatible with office life. Not to mention the commute. And, like, having to wear shoes (and pants!). Since the most compelling reason to go to the office is to meet colleagues, I’m not quite sure that a critical mass will build up naturally. So management may be required to do something, although hopefully something a little less harsh than Goldman and Morgan Stanley.
Or, you are worried they have become anti-social?

Ah - most of them weren’t that social to begin with.

katastrofa

June 22nd, 2021, 7:56 pm

@going back to the office

NEVER

Cuchulainn

June 23rd, 2021, 3:42 pm

Less phoney food

Instead, the plaintiffs alleged, the controversial comestibles are “made from a mixture of various concoctions”, ingredients “blended together … to imitate the appearance of tuna”.

katastrofa

June 23rd, 2021, 4:10 pm

Probably healthier than real tuna:
"From 2014 to 2019, 108 tuna samples, canned or unprocessed, were checked at the laboratory of the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Puglia e della Basilicata (Italy). One canned tuna was non-compliant for cadmium (0.22 mg kg-1), and twelve fresh tuna samples (11% of total) showed mercury content above the permitted level. Mean mercury concentrations in fresh and canned tuna (0.517 and 0.207 mg kg-1, respectively) confirm that this element represents a serious toxicological issue. Exposition to mercury, and markedly in its organic form, due to tuna consumption, was found to be significant and may pose a risk for the most sensitive consumer groups (i.e., children)."
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7520313430

Cuchulainn

June 23rd, 2021, 6:42 pm

Sounds disgusting.

I eat neither tuna (dolphins) nor that bespoke junk. and have only been once in Subway, which means nothing ... only twice in Ikea since 1980 .. fuil of left-wing meatball-eating liberals. And Starbucks twice.
But I have been to Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher concerts.

So vulgar, what?

katastrofa

June 23rd, 2021, 9:09 pm

Nah, I have enough of blues.

Poor dolphins... Yesterday I made myself believe that I would feel better if I occasionally filled up the apparent deficiencies of my vegan diet with fish. It fell on mackerel. Smoked and spattered with rainbow peppercorns - it looked ostentatiously dead. The trickster not only decided its own course of action, but also managed to encourage the regular passive stuff to follow the alternative route to freedom. After two hours of feeling sick I thanked god that I didn't buy eel.

Cuchulainn

June 23rd, 2021, 11:12 pm

Metal venues again ... Цитотоксин July 23 Alkmaar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogmkUtiAFQ

Paul
Topic Author

August 13th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Queues are shorter than they look.

katastrofa

August 14th, 2021, 8:00 am

You have to stand in them longer, though, so it cancels out. No change is a good change!

ExSan

September 20th, 2021, 2:27 pm

The mRNA vaccine revolution is just beginning
mRNA brought us a Covid-19 vaccine in record speed. Next it could tackle flu, malaria or HIV
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

tags

October 11th, 2021, 6:02 pm

What about bed bugs as people have stayed home lately?

Paul
Topic Author

October 25th, 2021, 7:52 am

On Zoom no one can smell the gin.

gatarek

October 25th, 2021, 12:54 pm

It depends on the quantity.

trackstar

November 12th, 2021, 1:20 am

Fair to say that every country has been challenged by data issues related to Covid - you could debate the particulars all day here.

However, the effort to collect and share scientific and medical data on this global scale is interesting and I'm still watching the Johns Hopkins site off and on:

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Research Center

Maybe we will see this kind of dynamic dashboard applied to climate change in a large publicly available resource sometime in the future. There are snapshots in time, for sure, and maybe it already exists - looking around these days for such a thing.