Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ExSan

Re: Good things that come out of this pandemic...

November 20th, 2021, 12:30 pm

KRQE - Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
"On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease."

"Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases."
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

Paul
Topic Author

December 29th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Reactions to the vaccine are getting worse. Covid itself is getting milder. Will they converge? Can we use any data to estimate risk aversion? Dynamic risk aversion?

ExSan

December 29th, 2021, 11:35 pm

Reactions to the vaccine are getting worse. Covid itself is getting milder. Will they converge? Can we use any data to estimate risk aversion? Dynamic risk aversion?
This is true. My friend in Szczecin / Poland   -not contaminated so far- had the third jab (pfizer) and he claims he has a permanent heartache, he has called ambulance a couple of times. Another friend -tenis player- who had covid and survived then he had the 2 shots of the vaccine has told me he feels his average health has diminished and he blames it to the vaccine not to covid 
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 12:56 am

Day1, light headache hiking in forest in snow and hilly terrain. Day1 evening and day 2 light fever. Confirmed Covid-19 by 3 antigen test and 1 pcr test, to get the government test I had to stand one hour and forty minutes in line outside in minus 12 celsius with coughing people (only took it to get some silly gov stamp).  Day 7 skiing decent trip hilly terrain, Day 8 and 10 weight training snow..lots of short hikes... 110% recovered few weeks after....what dose not kill u make u stronger...(sometimes indeed)

As expected a light flue, of course I have plenty of D vit in my system, before during and after...

Is it not expected to be a light flue conditional on that one are in decent shape and make sure one get what the immune system needs, especially pxxxxic-ammunition ?  well the health authorities are so dumb arses that they only focus a few tools in the tool box

Sadly one very good researcher in USA I worked with still more or less knocked out from blood cloth in brain after the vaccine. Also my medical doctor friend struggles to recover after blood cloth brain months after blood cloth and vaccine. One health workers I know only got blood cloth in the the eye, one in foot etc. and recovered fast.. AZ and J&J

and yes one friend just told me he got heartache for series of days after jab 2 (he did not report it, so not even showing up in statistics over side effects), he is naturally going for jab 3 as the all knowing hyper intelligent health authorities recommend so ...

Tomorrow Loooong ski trip, fast, looong, cold and hard, love life!

I feel sorry for the people that hoped I would die from covid-19, gone through infection gives strong immunity loong time, so your bets are off!

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 1:13 am

they expected I had delta variant. I now look forward to omicron...

someone told me there is at least one smart person on this list https://vitamindforall.org/letter.html

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n484/rr-0

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 1:28 am

""NICE guidelines recommend only 400 IU (10 micrograms)"
based on also a dumb arse study that did not understood difference between standard deviation in spot and average...

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 1:50 am

"Another friend -tenis player- who had covid and survived then he had the 2 shots of the vaccine has told me he feels his average health has diminished and he blames it to the vaccine not to covid "

when will he take dose 3 and 4? 

bearish

December 30th, 2021, 2:01 am

You people are funny. Well, Pierce Corbyn and you.

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 9:02 am

why are health authorities not taking about the risk factors: "Emerging data suggest that obesity is a major risk factor for the progression of major complications such as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), cytokine storm and coagulopathy in COVID-19" 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8073853/

"Research has revealed that obesity weakens the immune system, thus making the individual susceptible to infectious diseases. Obesity has emerged as a strong risk factor for severe disease during the COVID-19 pandemic"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langas/article/PIIS2468-1253(21)00190-4/fulltext

.I would expect vaccines particular important for people in the Double trouble: a pandemic of obesity and COVID-19 group, no offence, just what research indicates.  "This large population-based study corroborated evidence of obesity being a major risk factor associated with adverse outcomes in patients with COVID-19."

Obesity also highly correlates with low D vit serum levels. "The high prevalence of VD deficiency in obese subjects is a well-documented finding that is most probably due to volumetric dilution into the greater volumes of fat, serum, liver, and muscle present in obese people. " also likely they get less sun exposure in general. less outside, expose less skin. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC6780345/

So health authorities are indeed focusing on only part of the tool box, obvious risk factors that can quite easily be adjusted for most they do not mention.

I actually went down in fat-mass and increased muscle mass during pandemic, installed my outdoor gym, more easy to push yourself exercising outside, especially in cold weather as need to move to stay warm. today aerobic skiing, the best things in life are almost for free..

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 11:13 am

"Obese Democrats blame genetics; Normal weight Democrats and most Republicans blame lifestyle"

explains perhaps why some only think only taking into account a small part of the tool box is the only thing that can save them, vaccines and hiding home in the sofa.. luckily non of them here?

obesity however complex topic, pollution etc that affect organs do not help. but most people can actually control this risk factor to a large degree themselves. reminds me I have to get out on that ski trip now.

Marsden

December 30th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Hm.

How much of vaccine resistance do you suppose is due to genetic causes?

Collector

December 30th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Hm.

How much of vaccine resistance do you suppose is due to genetic causes?
extremely general question with about 100 answers as this group has many many under groups...

Grizzly bears I think perhaps genetic that they are not happy to be vaccinated, have u ever tried vaccinate one without doping it down first? But could be education, just need to learn their language etc first and tell them there actually exist some good vaccines....at least some bears can for example get rabies, but due to their lack of study it they are resistent to also rabis vaccine, genetic or not, only in depth research can find out..

For example the resistance to AZ vaccine in Norway I think was based on pretty good scientific judgment call, but too late several people died from it, at least that is what the health authorities has concluded, for example a 30 year old healthy health care worker, her father in big sorrow..
https://sciencenorway.no/covid19-vaccines/this-is-why-norway-is-still-saying-no-to-the-astrazeneca-vaccine/1832874
and before making conclusions on AZ one should carefully study how it was produced in different places, batches etc...one of my medical friends looked quite into it, quite interesting stuff..

Marsden

December 30th, 2021, 11:20 pm

"We have the reason. Nothing but the vaccine can explain why these individuals had this immune response”, chief physician and professor Pål Andre Holme said on Thursday.
n(Norway) = 130,000; unclear what x is. Also unclear what background incidence is.
Anyway, given that there are alternatives without (so far) similar concerns, it makes sense to discontinue AZ until more data can be collected; bear studies might be conducted to concurrently test if placebo jabs are equally objectionable to them.
But if AZ were the only option, would probably be a good choice to get it for most demographic groups, and likely a good public health policy to encourage it for everyone.

Testing line around the corner from me this morning:

Paul
Topic Author

January 3rd, 2022, 9:27 am

I vote for “abundance” as word of the year, coming back into popular use. As in the phrase we keep hearing:

“We are closing the school in an abondance des cochons.”

tags

February 16th, 2022, 8:40 pm

Swiss government lifts nearly all COVID-19 restrictions

"No more facemasks while meeting my private banker", locals rejoiced