Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Collector

Re: Good things that come out of this pandemic...

October 31st, 2020, 8:52 pm

will we see a baby boom from the corona period?  All authors know that giving birth to a book is similar in pain and stress to giving birth to a baby. So yes I am thinking of book boom due to many "forced" being more home...  if this is good or bad I dont know...

platinum

October 31st, 2020, 9:38 pm

Maybe see it in terms of the law of comparative advantage.

Some are best suited to writing books.

Some are best suited to having children.

Some can actually manage to do both, under special conditions.

Arguably, writing a really good book is even more difficult than producing a really good baby, meaning the basic form and function, not behavior or temperament over time.

In any case, a few of us should try to write great books, so that the babies will have something interesting and useful to read when they grow up.

Paul
Topic Author

October 31st, 2020, 10:43 pm

Depends what you mean by “good.”

Key difference is the feedback. Almost instantaneous with a book, opportunity to improve next time. With children no useful feedback usually until far, far too late.

Cuchulainn

October 31st, 2020, 11:05 pm

Arguably, writing a really good book is even more difficult than producing a really good baby, meaning the basic form and function, not behavior or temperament over time.

I'm not so sure anymore.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISaoOEq0q0o

platinum

November 1st, 2020, 11:19 am

In essence I suppose good babies are like good models: fit for purpose, robust, taking in data and conveying information about the world.

looking at the music video - these fully mature examples must have been very good babies - strongly kicking and working at communication!

Cuchulainn

November 1st, 2020, 2:15 pm

In essence I suppose good babies are like good models: fit for purpose, robust, taking in data and conveying information about the world.

looking at the music video - these fully mature examples must have been very good babies - strongly kicking and working at communication!
The drummer was easy to raise .. although he was prone to 5-minute tantrums.

Paul
Topic Author

November 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm

An opportunity to try out Botox while no one will see you.

Collector

November 1st, 2020, 10:08 pm

"I haven't left the house in a long time. Too busy on models."

"models", so you are not in Belgium! Maximum one visitor allowed there now!  in Norway still max visitors is 5 (private). I was in a cafe in oslo other day, 3 people when i entered the cafe, then suddenly about 60 there, mostly elderly people, about 3 with face masks.

Collector

November 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm

could the massive difference between Sweden and Norway in this epidemic also have something to do with traditions, or is the cause all policy and randomness.? Norway is known for its D vitamin tradition in all months ending in R, I suspect Sweds do not have this tradition.

I talked with series of people my age about possible benefits of D vitamins, they all said they already eat plenty of D..

They all willingly drink this slop on a daily basis, because they have the vague notion that ”it’s good for them” "Norwegians specifically are so nonchalant about this, they talk about drinking fish oil the same way you’d talk about fighting a cold with a glass of orange juice."

I think everyone my age had parents telling them the importance of drinking fish oil all months ending in R, and they still do it. And of course not any fish oil, Møllers Tran!

Norway close to 300 died with corona (sweden 5900), and the health authorities confirm they dont know if it was because or just with corona.

But many today do not follow the D tradition so D levels will fall in part of population in months to come also here.
Last edited by Collector on November 1st, 2020, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

November 1st, 2020, 10:28 pm

We never did cod liver oil (tran) in our household, but have some faint memories of Sana-sol. That being said, I’ve been taking a daily doze of a couple thousand IUs of D3 for a while.

Collector

November 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm

Sana-sol was popular among those dont liking the taste of fish oil, but also contain D.

bearish

November 1st, 2020, 10:37 pm

I should add that, additionally, I cook and eat a lot of seafood. Sable, aka black cod, is on the menu tonight, courtesy of a half price sale at Whole Foods.

Collector

November 1st, 2020, 11:11 pm

I should add that, additionally, I cook and eat a lot of seafood. Sable, aka black cod, is on the menu tonight, courtesy of a half price sale at Whole Foods.
dont throw the liver, that is where the D reserves are!  (statistics shows people in Norway eat much less of internal organs these days. Lungs (not on fish I think) and liver popular before.

when I was a child I mostly only wanted to eat horse meat (on top of bread) (I had no idea about what it was until years later) and brun-ost (goat cheese). Back then the horse meat was mostly from old horses that had died naturally from old age.

bearish

November 1st, 2020, 11:35 pm

The only fish liver that I have real experience with cooking is from the monkfish: ankimo. Very good, and unusually large. I imagine they drink a lot.

Collector

November 1st, 2020, 11:50 pm

interesting: "In pre-Christian Norway, horse was seen as an expensive animal. To eat a horse was to show one had great wealth, and to sacrifice a horse to the gods was seen as the greatest gift one could give. When Norwegians adopted Christianity, horse eating became taboo as it was a religious act for pagans, thus it was considered a sign of heresy."