Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Re: Bad things that come out of this pandemic

December 14th, 2020, 4:17 pm

First, you had to do an interview with senior quants + brainteasers on probability (throwing dice, roulette that kind of thing). If you succeeded, you needed to show you could stand your ground for 2 minutes.
Hit the ground running..
Very nice - when it comes to men of that size, I guess in some cases you have to watch out for 'roid rage.  But others are truly gentle giants (except in the sporting arena.) I was just looking at a photograph of myself and a heavy weight fighter I met at an event some years ago.

He had a great record in the boxing ring, and yet such a warm and thoughtful aura outside of it.  Kind of a Taoist/philosopher. Interesting.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 14th, 2020, 4:37 pm

They were gentlemen. 
Boxers are a breed apart. They train very hard and indeed are very philosophical.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 1:35 am

Disco started for me in 1977 and never ended. 

Not disco, but my NYC nightclub experience peaked in early '90s. I was on my own in NYC, I went to The Tunnel in Chelsea. It was swarming with people outside, many dozens, it was crazy. They weren't letting anyone in. And then...the bouncer pointed at me, in the middle of the crowd, and beckoned me over. And he let me in. I should have heard a choir of angels singing, and a light shining down for heaven. 
For your English charm. You have more of it then Hugh Grant ;-)
I once bumped into HG in the gents at another club in London. It was around the time of Divine Brown. He didn’t look happy.
"Thompson [vel Divine Brown] has been reported to have earned a total of $1.6 million from publicity related to her arrest with Grant. As a result, she and her manager, partner and father of her children, Alvin C. Brown, bought a four-bedroom home in Beverly Hills. Thompson has said the money she earned from interviews and endorsements after the 1995 interrupted dalliance has allowed her to put her daughters through private school.[10] "Everything worked out for the better," she said in 2007: "It helped me turn it into something positive … I was blessed that it could get me out of that lifestyle."[1][11]"

He possibly saved the woman's life!

Paul

December 15th, 2020, 3:14 am

Tom Cruise in Magnolia springs to mind.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 10:07 am

Thinking on it, in a BMW on Sunset Boulevard, under the Loss Angeles sky, with all the palm trees lining up to watch... Even Elizabeth Hurley can't beat it. I've never been cheated on (or at least that's what I believe!), but I don't think I would dump a guy after something like that. I'd rather say "Dude, it was epic".
Anyway, I always suspect that such stories (altogether with celeb relationships) are a set up.

@Magnolia
IMHO, it was the nauseating excess of form over content (PT Anderson getting older: young people tend to think that everything happens by chance, and when they age they start to believe that everything is some god's plan - both are just illusions, aren't they). But TC saved the movie for me. It made me realise that he's a good actor. I watched all Mission Impossibles afterwards.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 15th, 2020, 11:08 am

EH is super-duper.
David Wheeler

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 11:28 am

EH is super-duper.
Elizabeth Hurley and Hugh Grant were/are both super duper. Can’t judge what happens inside others’ relationships.

But it does remind me of a saying that became popular towards the end of the Cold War:

Доверяй, но проверяй  = Trust, but verify.

It was a Russian proverb, repurposed and related to nuclear disarmament. The rest depends on what kind of treaties exist.

Is it a mutual non-aggression pact, coal and steel community, customs union, monetary union....?

Hehe. Well, we don’t know how that will play out in Europe, even now! As Brexit continues into its nth year...

Off to the far Northern wilderness today - with snow shoes!

Edit - noting Brexit.
Last edited by trackstar on December 20th, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 1:20 pm

In Eastern Europe it's about tru luv. No deals and treaties can enforce it. Life without loving and being loved is not worth living :-)
Attachments
3D92A912-E531-439A-87A6-3140D7B3ECD2.jpeg

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 1:45 pm

In Eastern Europe it's about tru luv. No deals and treaties can enforce it. Life without loving and being loved is not worth living :-)
Sounds like the end of a Danielle Steele novel - Do the men in Europe really fall for lines like this? 

Great argument against prenups too - Surely, it must be Tru Luv!!!"  Haha. : )

I like humor based on International Relations jargon. Always makes me laugh. 

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Sounds like the end of a Danielle Steele novel - Do the men in Europe really fall for lines like this? 

The men actually come up with such lines themselves! And women sometimes fall for them ;-)

Interestingly, my impression is that prenups are more popular than in the West these days (of course many couples start from zero at a young age; not many legalise the relationship either). Perhaps because we can't afford the American or British model of a family, i.e. working husband and wife staying with children at home. Both have to work to support the family. The stereotypes, especially against Eastern European women, are strong though. It's quite obvious why.

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 2:34 pm

The men actually come up with such lines themselves! And women sometimes fell for them ;-)

Interestingly, my impression is that prenups are more popular than in the West these days (of course many couples start from zero at a young age; not many legalise the relationship either). Perhaps because we can't afford the American or British model of a family, i.e. working husband and wife staying with children at home. Both have to work to support the family. The stereotypes, especially against Eastern European women, are strong though. It's quite obvious why.
Now, now, this is not about prejudice against any group, by region, age or anything else.  The prenup issue is simply about responsible financial management, To me , it is like having a will and a trustworthy financial adviser, and hiring a good law firm handle any real estate purchases or sales; it is part of being an adult. 

Something even better though - did you guys know that peacocks can fly?
flying-peacock.jpg
Last edited by trackstar on December 15th, 2020, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Rest assured, there would be a prenup even in Eastern Europe, with a trustworthy literate witness signifying their X's :-)
However, many people nowadays (myself included) wouldn't see the reason to get married in that case, or even move in together. I'm personally the most comfortable in love on distance. Just not too far.

trackstar

December 15th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Rest assured, there would be a prenup even in Eastern Europe, with a trustworthy literate witness signifying their X's :-)
However, many people nowadays (myself included) wouldn't see the reason to get married in that case, or even move in together. I'm personally the most comfortable in love on distance. Just not too far.
It doesn't matter to me. I was showing an example and commenting on cultural and legal phenomena. 

Let us know about the double boiler and the next Delphikake. That is actually more interesting than this! : )

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 15th, 2020, 3:59 pm

David Wheeler

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 21st, 2020, 2:56 pm

Coronavirus update: 'If you need to be right before you move, you will never win,' WHO's Dr Mike Ryan

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/video/4 ... -mike-ryan
David Wheeler