Cuchulainn

Re: Who should take the blame?

June 5th, 2020, 1:14 pm

No problem, just watch the kommas.

Paul
Topic Author

June 5th, 2020, 3:17 pm

When my back-of-an-envelope, SIR- and machine learning-free predictions turn out to be correct---death rate slightly higher than the flu, but not orders of magnitude; NYC nearing herd immunity; virus very widespread in many countries; etc.---as increasingly seems likely, who will get the blame for this latest symptom of The Decade Of Mass Hysteria (trademark and reasonably priced book pending)?
  • Neil Ferguson
  • WHO
  • Tedros Adhanom
  • The Wuhan Bat Soup Gourmet Kitchen
On herd immunity, last I heard that Sweden is only 7% herd immune. Not sure about the other countries. No doubt someone knows.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that NYC (oops, almost wrote NYT) was/is herd immune?
I am way past caring, or looking at numbers, modelling, etc. The data we are being given is all over the place, and is probably wrong. There are/aren't second waves. Masks are good/bad. Hydrochlorowhatsit is a cure, then it makes things worse, now it's all retracted. I don't think there's a scientist who knows what they are doing.

Cuchulainn

June 5th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Yeah, it's a real roller-coaster.

My summer has been ruined, our son is converting our living room into a recording studio next week, people here are quibbling about WSJ and worse.
I miss the Jeremy Corbyn rants.

I bought this yesterday

https://media.knivesandtools.com/Exact1 ... 1-crkt.jpg

bearish

June 5th, 2020, 5:49 pm

My summer has been ruined, our son is converting our living room into a recording studio next week, people here are quibbling about WSJ and worse.

I bought this yesterday

Why do I suddenly have flashbacks to “The Shining”?

Cuchulainn

June 5th, 2020, 8:31 pm

I bought this yesterday

Why do I suddenly have flashbacks to “The Shining”?
You are not wrong. First, split wood for the winter. Then a stage version in the wilds of Donegal. Casting begins in September, rehearsals in October and premiere just before Halloween. Some of the actors will have speaking parts. I need an actor who fits through the window. I used Junior before but he is not suitable. He has outgrown his role.
I need to get out more.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On