SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar
Topic Author

Advance Planning for Covid Redux: What We Had, What We Needed

June 2nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

It's not over yet, anywhere, but it does seem to be diminished for now, in many places.  Will Covid come back this summer or fall?  TBD.

But now we have time and knowledge to prepare better in advance.

For fun: What did you have and what did you wish you had for the first round? What would you add to it if there may be a deeper, longer pandemic in the future.

Can be serious, can be bourgeois, can be subversive.  No PC answers needed (like "world peace" or "vaccines for everyone"). You don't really mean it.

trackstar
Topic Author

Re: Advance Planning for Covid Redux: What We Had, What We Needed

June 2nd, 2020, 12:37 pm

For me:

What I had: water, batteries, flashlights/lanterns, rice, frozen vegetables, T-paper (hehe), vinyl gloves and homemade masks, and a back-up supply of gas for my car, in case there were problems with gas stations.  (Don't light a match in my gardening shed right now.) : Q

What I wish I had: a cappuccino machine and an indoor vegetable garden - I will actually be converting a three-season porch into a greenhouse/solarium this summer.

bearish

June 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Based on the level of drama in the household, I’d say we were most lacking in haircutting lessons. And equipment, but that was more easily remedied. We’ve otherwise had most things available within walking distance or via quick delivery.

trackstar
Topic Author

June 2nd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Taking down some lighter content in observation of All Lives Matter.
Last edited by trackstar on June 2nd, 2020, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

June 2nd, 2020, 4:10 pm

Last edited by trackstar on June 2nd, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

June 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm

Did you get to use the CB radio, trackstar? In can actually be a survival skill for the future.

At the risk of being put in one bag with fans of Andrew Wakefield, thanks but no thanks for vaccines - at least as long as the antibody enhanced reactions to mutated/recombined versions of this virus seem likely. I think this kind of viruses can only be managed by letting them settle the population - metaphorically speaking, they will evolve into a more friendly form for their own sake (like common flu).

Cuchulainn

June 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

Just checking that you were using 'redux' postpositively. At ease
so, a 2nd wave?

Did You Know?

In Latin, redux (from the verb reducere, meaning "to lead back") can mean "brought back" or "bringing back." The Romans used redux as an epithet for the Goddess Fortuna with its "bringing back" meaning; Fortuna Redux was "one who brings another safely home." But it was the "brought back" meaning that made its way into English. Redux belongs to a small class of English adjectives that are always used postpositively-that is, they always follow the words they modify. Redux has a history of showing up in titles of English works, such as John Dryden’s Astraea Redux (a poem "on the happy restoration and return of his sacred majesty, Charles the Second"), Anthony Trollope’s Phineas Redux, and John Updike’s Rabbit Redux.

trackstar
Topic Author

June 2nd, 2020, 11:48 pm

Did you get to use the CB radio, trackstar? In can actually be a survival skill for the future.

At the risk of being put in one bag with fans of Andrew Wakefield, thanks but no thanks for vaccines - at least as long as the antibody enhanced reactions to mutated/recombined versions of this virus seem likely. I think this kind of viruses can only be managed by letting them settle the population - metaphorically speaking, they will evolve into a more friendly form for their own sake (like common flu).
Haha - you have a good memory!  Yes, I did use that radio some, but obviously this never turned into a real Zombie Apocalypse and my gas station concerns were also unwarranted. In fact, it is still very low priced - around $2 a gallon and there was no interruption in that supply chain.

On the evolution of the virus, I agree on vaccines - none for me either and I will take my chances.  

Of course, I will take care around other people - continue to wear my mask and I'm going very light on travel until the results of phased opening of various regional economies becomes clear.  

However, I may take a drive out to Amherst soon - it is a big college town in the western part of the state and filled with flowering trees of all varieties this time of year. I can do "curbside takeout" from my favorite Inn/restaurant there and take pictures along the long rural roads that go from town to town.

(I have many photos of flowers and trees from my excursions over the years, but why not get a few more!)

katastrofa

June 3rd, 2020, 12:01 am

I went Dominic Cummings today - except I couldn't rent a car, so I can't tell if my myopia has worsened. I walked 4 miles to stretch my bones (I think I still have them under the whole flab) on the grass in Greenwich Park, listen to some French guy teaching his female friends basic facts of life (e.g. that London cannot be like Sweden because of EE immigrants), and back in the hot sun. Thank goodness I had enough vegan icecream in the freezer to compensate for all the lost calories...

trackstar
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2020, 12:07 am

LOL.  It will melt right off - no worries. : )

Nice walking in London though.  I don't remember f I told the story here, but one of my last trips there, I walked from the British Museum to the Victoria and Albert by way of Hyde Park and had planned to take the Tube back to the BM area after seeing everything in the V&A.

However, this was after that stabbing incident on the bridge and many Tube stations got shut down.  So, I had to walk most of the way back and finally took a bus because it was getting quite dark.

I don't know how many miles that was, but I had a great dinner that night!

trackstar
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2020, 12:20 am

On the Advance Planning theme, absolutely non-essential, but for ambiance and the pleasure of watching things grow, I am deciding on some hedges and ornamental trees here.  One of my favorites: lilacs.  
Spaced just right, they will grow into a very nice floral fence or a corridor.  These pictures are from Martha Stewart's blog.  She offers good gardening advice - both design and maintenance. But of course she hires men to do the heavy work. I will dig all of the holes for my lilacs myself. : D

ImageImage

katastrofa

June 27th, 2020, 10:50 am

Llama antibody engineered to block coronavirus
Based on antibodies isolated from llamas, researchers engineered an antibody that prevented SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, from entering cells in laboratory experiments.

Not sure this research will save the jumans, but at least we know what happened to ppauper.

Cuchulainn

June 27th, 2020, 11:29 am

He was fond of llamas, talked about them the whole time here.

bearish

June 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I still think he was the victim of a traffic accident in NZ.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On