Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

Re: Advance Planning for Covid Redux: What We Had, What We Needed

January 6th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Covid: WHO team investigating virus origins denied entry to China
06 January 2021 China BBC News

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55555466

If it did come from the Wuhan lab, how would that change the formulation and game plan for vaccines?

Not a conspiracy theory; one of the citizen reporters who covered the early days there last year was sentenced to four years in prison last week also.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/29/95125865 ... s-in-wuhan

Plus there is now the South African strain; like UK more transmissible but this one may also be antibody resistant:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/south-a ... -know.html

No raves and no ski resorts for me today!

Cuchulainn

January 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm

We can cancel 2021. 

trackstar
Topic Author

January 6th, 2021, 3:30 pm

We can cancel 2021. 
Not yet!  If you look at the beginning of this thread - what I had - a good level of essential supplies.  
What I needed: 1) espresso machine (check!) and 2) indoor vegetable garden (in progress!).  
This is going to be a long-term effort, no matter what happens with Covid.

trackstar
Topic Author

January 29th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Good news: if you are in NYC, you can plan in advance for Valentine's Day!

New York City restaurants could reopen indoor dining starting on Valentine’s Day, Cuomo says - CNBC Jan 29

"New York City restaurants will be allowed to reopen for indoor dining at limited capacity beginning on Feb. 14 as long as Covid-19 cases continue to remain stable, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Friday."

Seems like a fun idea to me - kind of like playing roulette and craps at the same time.

Let's make sure that the British, South African, Brazilian, and other Co-variants can really thrive here!

bearish

January 30th, 2021, 1:57 am

Of course, I am in NYC, but I may still lean toward cooking on Valentine’s Day. I was thinking about fleshing out your gambling allusions a bit, but the language of craps is just too rich to describe the possible dating scenarios without getting myself in trouble. It’s almost as bad as golf.

trackstar
Topic Author

January 30th, 2021, 2:51 am

Haha - good for a laugh even without elaboration!

Here is my ideal for Valentine's Day:
Chocolate-Mousse.jpg
with a little Cointreau infusion.

On Covid, given the 2-14 day incubation period, It's been 23 days since the DC protests, but it will be hard to discern the impact. Was it a super spreader event or not? 

Anyway I am staying close to home, double masking now, etc., but I don't see how it will subside, even with the current vaccines, when it is such a clever and adaptive little virus.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 9th, 2021, 11:19 pm

On a serious note (for a moment!):

I am doing some research on the various vaccines available and will be watching over time at reports of initial symptoms, prevalence, patterns, demographics, and any longer term, potentially hidden effects that may emerge. Not being paranoid, just want to be informed.

So, if any of you are also keeping an eye on vaccination information from decent sources, would be interested to know and share.

As with the whole life history of the pandemic, there will probably be (wildly?) conflicting views, but will just sift through it all.

I hope that the whole world does not take its collective masks off too soon. 

Why not just enjoy the new fashion accoutrement, even with your little jab (or jab1 jab2). 

I like my masks! (double layered for color-coordinated effects!)

Thanks for any wise ideas and thanks also for flak, criticism, etc. You are all far more than 6 feet away from me, so I don't have any problems with you at all. : D

bearish

March 10th, 2021, 1:36 am

I’m about midway between Pfizer shots one and two. Some shoulder tenderness for a day and a highly unusual loss of appetite for a few hours, but that’s about it. Looking forward to a “fully vaccinated” status, even if I think I should harbor some natural immunity to begin with.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 10th, 2021, 2:35 am

Good to know you are (almost) all set and thanks for the observations.

I'm not in a hurry on this and there are many people who are, so I'll wait it out for a bit.

But good to gather info in the meantime - both first hand/anecdotes and also published papers.

katastrofa

March 10th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Not sure how Linkedin links work, but I hope you can see the nice graphics:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mahmoud- ... 10625-0-o_

Alan

March 10th, 2021, 8:07 pm

On a serious note (for a moment!):

I am doing some research on the various vaccines available and will be watching over time at reports of initial symptoms, prevalence, patterns, demographics, and any longer term, potentially hidden effects that may emerge. Not being paranoid, just want to be informed.

So, if any of you are also keeping an eye on vaccination information from decent sources, would be interested to know and share.

Anecdotally, but from multiple friends:

Pfizer: both shots, no symptoms beyond muscle soreness
Moderna: ditto for the first shot, but after the second: fever and chills. Take a Nyquil and sleep it off.

I've taken first Moderna, but will report if the second one holds to this pattern. 

trackstar
Topic Author

March 10th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Thanks Alan and katastrofa for the comments and link. Will be reading more on the weekend and if anything interesting pops up, I'll post it here.

For fun, I am also researching cars online these days - maybe will buy a new SUV in the next few weeks or so. 

I love to drive, as some of you know, and in terms of "post-covid" (?) recreation fantasies, that's about as good as it gets around here. 

An odometer near 0, a long open road (all the way to Canada - haha!), and springtime ahead. : )

katastrofa

March 10th, 2021, 11:43 pm

Last time I checked AstraZeneca was restricted to younger people because of the apparent lack of sufficient clinical tests in the old ones. When I looked for the data, it seemed they were equally tested.
Anyway, the nomen omen silver lining of being older is that you get the jab. I'll probably never qualify. Too much hassle fixing it.

trackstar
Topic Author

March 11th, 2021, 12:14 am

carmendo.jpg
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age. : )
- Victor Hugo

katastrofa

March 11th, 2021, 1:02 am

I find it nonsensical that the whole vaccination program starts from the oldest and vulnerable, and leaves the fittest (and the "recklessest") for the end. The former isolate anyway, the latter - quite the opposite: from what I observe, the dominating attitude is an almost complete irreverence of the risks and safety rules, which creates pressure on those more cautious and considerate.
The govs don't help. They close and reopen businesses on a whim, only to confirm for the n-th time that a new outbreak will happen, and close again. This gives the virus enough opportunity to thrive and evolve into new forms whom we give exotic names (although just as likely to have hutched locally); soon the vaccines may become obsolete and we're back to square one.