Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

mikebell
Topic Author

California: Here comes Ahnoooold!

October 8th, 2003, 2:37 am

Looks like Arnold's a winner. Gray Davis' dirty tricks didn't work out as he expected.--SOURCES: ARNOLD PREPARES ACCEPTANCE SPEECH... EXIT POLLS SHOW LANDSLIDE: RECALL, SCHWARZENEGGER POISED FOR EASY WIN LATEST EXIT POLLS SHOW 59% VOTE 'YES' FOR RECALL, TOP CAMPAIGN AND MEDIA SOURCES TELL DRUDGE REPORT, 51% FOR SCHWARZENEGGER, 30% FOR BUSTAMANTE, 13% MCCLINTOCK... DEVELOPING...

Hamilton

October 8th, 2003, 3:19 am

Writers at Letterman, Leno et al will be very pleased.

Rouletabille2

October 8th, 2003, 7:37 am

I voted for Arnold & Willy Schwarzeneger

kr

October 8th, 2003, 12:42 pm

I bet $5 on the Terminator something like 3 months ago, under the condition that I'd lose if the recall were cancelled...

chiral3

October 8th, 2003, 12:46 pm

I still seek solice in that oscar wilde quote that goes something like: if you put hinges on the california border, and turned the rest of the country ouward until it was perpendicular to the state, and then jiggled ever so slightly until all the nuts fell down and populated......

Beavis

October 8th, 2003, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: chiral3I still seek solice in that oscar wilde quote that goes something like: if you put hinges on the california border, and turned the rest of the country ouward until it was perpendicular to the state, and then jiggled ever so slightly until all the nuts fell down and populated......That's a pretty dumb thing to say considering California has an economy bigger than every other fuckin country besides the US, UK, Germany, and France. Pathetic almost. Maybe the rest of the world should pull their heads out of their asses.

chiral3

October 8th, 2003, 12:54 pm

I find it funny that you can be elected to an office with nothing but an acting career and a Kennedy connection on your resume. Funny things like that happen in California.

kr

October 8th, 2003, 1:12 pm

the gipper didn't even have a kennedy connection...maybe if The Buff goes for the presidency we can have 12% interest rates again, wouldn't that be fun

chiral3

October 8th, 2003, 1:14 pm

what's the "gipper". me no get

kr

October 8th, 2003, 1:17 pm

ronald "we begin bombing the soviets" reagan

MobPsycho

October 8th, 2003, 1:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: krthe gipper didn't even have a kennedy connection...maybe if The Buff goes for the presidency we can have 12% interest rates again, wouldn't that be funI'm trying to understand statistical dependence in kr world.ummmmm...I give up MP

MobPsycho

October 8th, 2003, 1:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: krronald "we begin bombing the soviets" reaganAgain, I'm baffled.Did we bomb the Soviets when I was a kid?MP

zerdna

October 8th, 2003, 1:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: chiral3I find it funny that you can be elected to an office with nothing but an acting career and a Kennedy connection on your resume. Funny things like that happen in California.It's not a california thing, it is just seen most clearly in california. It is american trend in politics, maybe global even. To be a successful politician in the US you need to look good and talk well. In the case of arnold the second requirement wasn't even required. Take a look at senior politicians in US - candidates to the president, governors, senators and ask yourself a question, "How many bald guys are among them?" I know none, although at their age most should be. Means most of them wear toupes and hairplugs. TV is the shaper of the opinion and the politician's popularity now. Look how actors and people of words became the "rulers of thought". I mean, through centuries, profession of an actor was one of the most despised ones -- they don't do anything useful and don't attempt to. Today, successful actor's opinion on Iraq, general relativity, or desirable social structure is repeated million times and discussed just because he looks and sounds good on TV. This is a model for any aspiring politician. Who actually asked opinion of some Nobel prize winner in physics, a brilliant enginieer, inventor, entreprenuer, brain surgeon? People who think and do are inconsequential. What matters are people who "look" and "make sounds" nicely.

chiral3

October 8th, 2003, 1:21 pm

If you are objective, this is strange. Granted, it has happened many times: sonny, reagan. This is akin to NY getting LL Cool J, or Kenuck getting Kenny Rogers. The line between celeb and politician is getting thin. I'll grant those with raised eyebrows that the two jobs require many of the same skills, and that Arnold will appoint those to advise on thing which he probably doesn't understand: education, monetary policy, tax law, energy, Luddism,..... The fact is that he is an action movie guy. At least Ventura has a military history and came off informed. I just wonder if this is the newest thing - like getting knighted was in the 90's. Here is some logic:If you took the same Arnold, but stripped him off his movie accomplishments, would he have been elected? Absolutely not. Well, if he is hired for the job with movie credentials, but not considered at all with out them, then does that not logically imply that he was hired as a famous actor and not as a politician?
Last edited by chiral3 on October 7th, 2003, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kr

October 8th, 2003, 1:30 pm

I read that in the Philippines they use hit media stars to push political agendas - by using a pop star to project a political idea, it becomes popularly accepted. Unfortunately, this strategy is about to backfire as the standing president is about to be replaced by a pop star guy with ties to Estrada - i.e. the previous leader who was thrown out.MP, it's just that I couldn't remember the 'speech' correctly... now that I think about it, I think it was "We begin bombing Russia in five minutes" or something closer to that. As for the correlation, I'm just saying that the gip was prez during a period of unusually high interest rates. I'm not qualified to argue whether he was responsible for them or not, but I'm sure there are well-read economists out there who would say something like that. Come on, don't you remember? Or are you just advertising that you are a pro-Reagan guy?