Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

leptoq
Topic Author

My nomination for the "Quant of the year"

September 23rd, 2021, 9:59 pm

bearish

Re: My nomination for the "Quant of the year"

September 23rd, 2021, 11:21 pm

I think you need to add a little bit of motivation for your nomination. Would you consider his actions to be more impressive than, say, investing other people’s money in Bitcoin? IPO’ing a DeFin company? Or armed robbery?

Paul

September 24th, 2021, 2:28 am

Following on, I’d add that “getting away with it” should be a requirement.

tags

September 24th, 2021, 7:22 am

If Polevikov saw a pending order to buy the securities of a particular company, he would also buy

Is this all the advanced technical/modeling/pricing/mathematical knowledge "quantitative analysts" are endowed with these days?
This seems closer to the "discretionary trading" world aka scam I know where traders have "market intuition"   lol

bearish

September 24th, 2021, 12:31 pm

I think you need to draw a distinction between professional and private activities. As far as I’m concerned he is an “alleged quant” professionally, whereas his PA trading is pretty trivial front running. There is a front page story in the US edition of the FT today about a portfolio manager in Frankfurt who did the same sort of thing, executed via derivatives that he traded from his office computer, seconds before putting in his institutional sized orders for Union. Once he has served his prison time, he should probably be confined to a mental health institution, just to protect him from himself.

leptoq
Topic Author

September 26th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Following on, I’d add that “getting away with it” should be a requirement.
"Getting away with it" should be of course the most important part of utility function for these kinds of things. He managed to fly below the radar for many years though, despite the lack of any sophistication in this whole scheme.