Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags
Topic Author

Art de vivre in the World after

May 4th, 2022, 8:37 am

Say you're at the restaurant with your date ; you're a guy and she's a lady. The waiter comes back to your table with the bottle of wine you ordered and quite naturally turns to you (the male), showing you the bottle and pouring a little wine in your glass for sampling. This is 2022, what is an appropriate (== wins every time) reaction?

Marsden

Re: Art de vivre in the World after

May 4th, 2022, 11:16 am

Do you know wine?

Yes: Do you know wine better than your date?
Yes: Sample wine, make comment if appropriate, ask waiter to pour your date a sample and ask what she thinks.
No or unknown: See below.

No: Say "<Your date's name> ("probably," if you don't know) knows wine better than me. Could you pour her a sample?"

If she's really mousy, she might not like that you didn't "take charge" ... but if she's really mousy, do you care what she thinks?

Anyway, that's what I'd do. Note that I don't know wine, so I'd always go with the latter route.

trackstar

May 4th, 2022, 8:10 pm

In support of the new thread - two quizzes!

A special one for Paul and an easier one for everyone else.  : D

Please identify the items in these place settings and provide some simple rules for navigation.
Attachments
Dining-Etiquette-Royal.jpg
Thurston-Place-Setting.jpg

Paul

May 5th, 2022, 6:16 am

A random selection of mismatched cutlery etc., perhaps from a garage sale? Including snail/lobster fork, and, my favourite, the marrow spoon. 

trackstar

May 5th, 2022, 12:25 pm

A random selection of mismatched cutlery etc., perhaps from a garage sale? Including snail/lobster fork, and, my favourite, the marrow spoon. 
Good to have that one identified! I have indeed been buying some lightly used stuff, but mainly things for my studio, like pottery wheels and most recently a 4-harness loom. 

Now I can work on making Tartans among other things - traditional patterns and some new ones that I will design.  (Of course, I will not call mine "Tartans" - like the term "Champagne" that designation is reserved and protected!)
4 harness loom.jpg
4 harness loom.jpg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The Scottish Register of Tartans

Enjoy the spring, people, and good luck with your social etiquette. ; )

Marsden

May 5th, 2022, 12:47 pm

In support of the new thread - two quizzes!

A special one for Paul and an easier one for everyone else.  : D

Please identify the items in these place settings and provide some simple rules for navigation.
I believe the fifth item from the plate on the right in the first pic and the second item from the plate on the right in the second pic are fish knives.

That's all I've got.

katastrofa

May 5th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Whaa? I always choose my own pint!