Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

MaTT
Topic Author

Quants in POLAND

November 12th, 2003, 1:42 pm

Hi,If you are interested in quant finance topics, join us (me, gatarek, Dunbar) Thursday, 13th November, 2003 at pub Antalek (6pm) ul. Wolnosc 2ABest Regards,MaTT

ppauper

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 8:41 am

Poles on loo-watch ahead of Euro 2012

trackstar

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 4:47 pm

WarsawAs a counterpoint to ppauper's scatological news fetish.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 5:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarAs a counterpoint to ppauper's scatological news fetish.guess how old are these buildings

trackstar

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 5:14 pm

Well, as you surely know, Warsaw was quite destroyed during WWII, but the original Old Town was established at the end of the 13th century around the Royal Castle, seat of the Mazovian dukes, according to one of my many travel guides.Unlike Brussels, the Poles did not go for the concrete jungle and preserved the old town in this particular area.However, I have not been to Warsaw myself, so I am relying on books and the Internet for images.I have been to Prague though and love the old town square there.Warsaw, January 1945 Also a modern view now:
Last edited by trackstar on November 1st, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 5:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarHowever, I have not been to Warsaw myself, so I am relying on books and the Internet for images.2 weeks stay in Warsaw left we with memories of screaming feelings of loneliness, coldness and detachment

trackstar

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 5:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarHowever, I have not been to Warsaw myself, so I am relying on books and the Internet for images.2 weeks stay in Warsaw left we with memories of screaming feelings of loneliness, coldness and detachmentSo I appreciate that sentiment when travelling. Bulgaria was a challenge for me by European standards and I have tasted *extreme* isolation in Asia several times as well.But you find ways to deal. Museums usually work for me. And absorption into history.Some examples:In Japan, I felt very good in Kyoto - so many temples, Ryoan-Ji rock garden, and tea houses.In Singapore - Raffles was right out of the British Empire with fabulous old world civility and the shopping is terrific. Also great food - I ate huge plates of Nasi Goreng every night when I could not sleep. Even got used to the tiny crunchy fish croutons. !If I had stayed longer, I would have attended a cricket match.Singapore Cricket Club. Club established 1852; present building 1884, extended 1907; wings 1922. The Padang, Connaught Drive, Singapore. Photo credit: George P. LandowSingapore Cricket Club Link provided per photographer's Terms of Use agreement.
Last edited by trackstar on November 1st, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBut you find ways to deal. Museums usually work for me. And absorption into history.museums are the worst. there's really no point in visiting a museum alone. not being able to share emotions with someone ruins it all.temples are good. you're supposed to be alone anyways

trackstar

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 8:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBut you find ways to deal. Museums usually work for me. And absorption into history.museums are the worst. there's really no point in visiting a museum alone. not being able to share emotions with someone ruins it all.temples are good. you're supposed to be alone anywaysI think we have different frames of reference in our lives. I am pretty quiet in person, so I would not be so keen on pouring all my emotions onto someone else in museum settings and so forth. . Sure its nice to have another pair of eyes and a second inquisitive mind along though.For me, significant reasons for taking on a traveling companion are logistics and security. I have survived without harm on many adventures, but I am uneasy about city subways at night and taxi cabs any time. Driving alone can also be challenging when you are going from countryside to city or across national borders. Nice to have a multilingual co-pilot on such occasions. ***Best moments: long train rides through gorgeous landscape with good food, a little bits of conversation and a lot of quiet looking out the window or writing in my little Moleskine journal. Critical Success Factors for harmonious co-existence in a state of travel: TOLERANCE of late planes, missed trains, wrong turns, bathroom breaks, lost items, hunger pangs (my own worst personal weakness), and wild animal attacks.

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 8:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar hunger pangs (my own worst personal weakness),if you have a male companion make sure his stomach's always full. at en earliest sign of empty stomach, rush to the nearest eatery. this will guarantee harmonious coexistence

Traden4Alpha

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar hunger pangs (my own worst personal weakness),if you have a male companion make sure his stomach's always full. at en earliest sign of empty stomach, rush to the nearest eatery. this will guarantee harmonious coexistenceThis is why the first task in a new country is to find the nearest store or bakery, buy one of each of the local snacks/pastries, find the ones you like, and then always have a stash of them on hand.Norway had tetrahedrons of pudding, Australia had Tim Tams, Scotland had chocolate limes, Thailand had durian taffy, Iceland had dried fish, Japan had Pocky Chocolate, etc.Oh, and absolutely never ever eat anything that you can in your home country! (That's getting harder to do with globalization.)

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaOh, and absolutely never ever eat anything that you can in your home country! (That's getting harder to do with globalization.)no, that's insane. how can we survive without GMO food?

Traden4Alpha

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 9:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaOh, and absolutely never ever eat anything that you can in your home country! (That's getting harder to do with globalization.)no, that's insane. how can we survive without GMO food?What do you mean? GMO is everywhere and in everything! Between sloppy farm product buyers and food makers that mix stuff together and the general drift of GMO genes across farms, I doubt most food are GMO free unless the food maker spends a metric buttload of cash on careful testing of everything ounce of ingredients. But, just to be on the safe side, I bring my own little bottle of GMO extract. Moreover, this extract includes high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, nitrites, sulfites, and every artificial food colour known to man. With it, I can turn even the most vegan, organic, lactose-free, gluten-free, hypoallergenic, free-range tantric tofu into a frankenfood that is guaranteed to cause cancer before the dessert arrives!

quantmeh

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 9:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha free-range tantric tofudo you make sure that it contains soya?

trackstar

Quants in POLAND

November 2nd, 2009, 10:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha free-range tantric tofudo you make sure that it contains soya?Don't know about soya content, but it can certainly be pesticide-free.It is very good to take your tantric tofu with a little Spanish Fly.