SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Marsden

Opera recommendations?

February 3rd, 2004, 8:32 pm

Maybe you didn't notice that you have to add a point to each of your political dimension scores for eating the flesh of cruelly murdered animals, Pedro.Sometimes lentil soup is what I want, regardless of the other choices. A windy day doesn't hurt, though.

Arroway

Opera recommendations?

February 3rd, 2004, 9:20 pm

James, you can't like opera AND the Dead Milkmen, can you?I've never seen that rule in writing, but it seems like a good one.

James

Opera recommendations?

February 3rd, 2004, 10:47 pm

Ahhhh Arroway....All I can say, in reference to your icon, is that Sid once looked so old. And now he looks astonishingly young. And now I listen to more jazz than failed renditions of the Modern Lovers's "Roadrunner", ....and it is many years since January 6, 1978, in Memphis, Tennessee.And some-a those zaftig sopranos kinda make the bundle seek tangency, if ya know what I mean.Aprille Milo, grrrowww!

LongTheta

Opera recommendations?

February 3rd, 2004, 11:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenMs. Upshaw seems not to have recorded "O Mio Babbino Caro" according to her discography. Perhaps my simple question was too confusing for some to understand.It was a name that came up in a google search, Marsden. Be nice

Arroway

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 2:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: JamesAhhhh Arroway....And now I listen to more jazz than failed renditions of the Modern Lovers's "Roadrunner", ....Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Mr. Vicious' death.And yeah, the Sex Pistols cover of "Roadrunner" is about the funniest thing I've ever heard. The band is playing and Johnny is just going "I don't know the words, and screaming random nonsense. Then he starts singing OTHER songs. Every time I hear it cracks me up!"Do we know any other songs that we could play?"
Last edited by Arroway on February 3rd, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 3:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LongThetaQuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenMs. Upshaw seems not to have recorded "O Mio Babbino Caro" according to her discography. Perhaps my simple question was too confusing for some to understand.It was a name that came up in a google search, Marsden. Be nice Marsden's question concerned the aesthetic appeal of Ms Tekanawa's voice; I find Dawn Upshaw's soprano voicedifferent, although not necessarily superior. Unlike Kiri Tekanawa, Dawn Upshaw has crossed over into non-operaticvenues and not been savaged by the critics the way that Tekanawa has. Upshaw has worked with Polish and Finnishavant-garde composers, for example. Unfortunately, many moderns assume that only Western European countriesconstitute the culture of the West, forgetting about the former Eastern Bloc countries and the Nordic and Icelandic peoples.

Hamilton

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 3:24 am

Munkar and Nakir ?Salah?rakah?

Hamilton

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 3:34 am

And lets not forget Summa Contra Gentiles

Nonius

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 3:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenMaybe you didn't notice that you have to add a point to each of your political dimension scores for eating the flesh of cruelly murdered animals, Pedro.Sometimes lentil soup is what I want, regardless of the other choices. A windy day doesn't hurt, though.yes, I did think about that, muhahahahaha, I'm actually (7,7), muhahahahaha.....
Last edited by Nonius on February 3rd, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 5:53 am

"What do people who really know opera (as I do not) and who do not have tin ears (as I do) think about my conclusion? Is there a better version?"There is a critic I like that fits into this catagory. In addition to having the ear, he then explains why, qualitatively, and then points out preferences. His name is Jay Nordlinger. Look for his byline in National Review, The Nation, Opera News, New Yorker, and a few other places. His books I think are sadly out of print.And now for a first approximation for Opera Geekdom: if a shallow spotlight appears stage left about 2 minutes before curtin time, you can bet the producer is about to announce: "Ladies and gentleman, I have been asked by Ms. XXXX XXXX to inform you that she apologizes this evening for a slight indisposition." Translation? "She ain't gonna hit that F above high C tonight fellas, and you can forget about sustain. Thanks for your $250 bucks."

Nonius

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 6:01 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: James"What do people who really know opera (as I do not) and who do not have tin ears (as I do) think about my conclusion? Is there a better version?"There is a critic I like that fits into this catagory. In addition to having the ear, he then explains why, qualitatively, and then points out preferences. His name is Jay Nordlinger. Look for his byline in National Review, The Nation, Opera News, New Yorker, and a few other places. His books I think are sadly out of print.And now for a first approximation for Opera Geekdom: if a shallow spotlight appears stage left about 2 minutes before curtin time, you can bet the producer is about to announce: "Ladies and gentleman, I have been asked by Ms. XXXX XXXX to inform you that she apologizes this evening for a slight indisposition." Translation? "She ain't gonna hit that F above high C tonight fellas, and you can forget about sustain. Thanks for your $250 bucks."My experience in Paris is that it is simply announced over a loudspeaker in a very nonchalant fashion, sort of like, sorry, no fries but we do have some basmati rice to go with that steak.

James

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 7:20 am

"My experience in Paris is that it is simply announced over a loudspeaker in a very nonchalant fashion, sort of like, sorry, no fries but we do have some basmati rice to go with that steak."You can afford to go to the Opera in Paris?Please interview me for a job, kind sir. Your firm has all the a$$et$ I am looking for.

Nonius

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 7:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: James"My experience in Paris is that it is simply announced over a loudspeaker in a very nonchalant fashion, sort of like, sorry, no fries but we do have some basmati rice to go with that steak."You can afford to go to the Opera in Paris?Please interview me for a job, kind sir. Your firm has all the a$$et$ I am looking for.I'm surprised by your question, since it ostensibly comes from a man who is driven to work in a "car".

Nonius

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 7:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: NoniusQuoteOriginally posted by: James"My experience in Paris is that it is simply announced over a loudspeaker in a very nonchalant fashion, sort of like, sorry, no fries but we do have some basmati rice to go with that steak."You can afford to go to the Opera in Paris?Please interview me for a job, kind sir. Your firm has all the a$$et$ I am looking for.I'm surprised by your question, since it ostensibly comes from a man who is driven to work in a "car".by the way James, you are old enough to remember a book about "class" that came out in the early eighties.classy people say "car", "driver", "house", "boat".middle class people say "limousine", "chauffeur", "home", "yacht".low class people say "limo", hmmm, don't know what they'd call the rest.

gjlipman

Opera recommendations?

February 4th, 2004, 12:25 pm

Quote"see Lulu....it is like a hit of Acid, or the Tales of Kaufmann maybe I am mispelling."I saw an excellent production of Lulu last year. And also one of Salome. If I ever see a girl in a red dress, I run!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On