Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

greghm
Topic Author

Who plays guitar there ?

March 10th, 2004, 6:21 pm

I have been on this site for months and months and I see many people who plays guitar there like - Chiral 3 (who must be the real shredder)- Nerotulip (Jazzy)- Clarionany other ?
Last edited by greghm on March 9th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotone

Who plays guitar there ?

March 10th, 2004, 6:54 pm

Hi,I play guitar (at a beginner level)

chiral3

Who plays guitar there ?

March 10th, 2004, 7:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: greghmI have been on this site for months and months and I see many people who plays guitar there like - Chiral 3 (who must be the real shredder)- Nerotulip (Jazzy)- Clarionany other ?Actually, I haven't been playing too much neoclassical lately. I put 13 gauge strings on my rhythm guitar (the strings are that thick) and have been playing harmonized jazz and blues through a clean channel. Also I have been playing alot of acoustic. I have been listening to alot of Tommy Emmanuel lately. He is one of the best modern acoustic players I have heard. Actually I think he may be the best. He has his own style, not to rigid and schooled, but difficult.

robertral

Who plays guitar there ?

March 10th, 2004, 8:47 pm

I used to play Pantera, Mega Death etc through a guitar processor and massive amp. I was a real metal head with my Les Paul guitar. Stopped playing tho.Rock and roll

opmtrader

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 1:24 am

I love playing my acoustic and singing, mostly when no one is around. I've played at parties and open mics with my brother though. I'd dig playing in a bar one day once I hone the craft a little more. I don't practice enough and I only seem to play in fits and starts which doesn't lend itself to progressing. I wish I could wail like some of you guys on the board. A crazy solo is impressive. Rock on.You guys know about olga? Its a archive of tabbed songs which seems to go on and off the net every once and a while due to limited funding. Great place for free tabs when its up.

chiral3

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 1:40 am

OLGA is ok, but the best, the absolute best, is www.powertabs.netDownload the softwate, it is free, and have fun. The software, outside of the midi tabs, is pretty robust on its own. Edit: Greg showed e this 6 months ago
Last edited by chiral3 on March 10th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arroway

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 1:48 am

Any of you guys see the movie "School of Rock"? Just rented it tonight, and it made me think of this thread. Very cool movie...
Last edited by Arroway on March 10th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spongebob

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 8:24 am

...been playing since I was eleven. Fave gear, Steinberger L-Series with Transtrem and Seymour Duncans through a Mesa Dual Rectifier (the original version) amp.Although started out as a Classical player, it didn't take long before I picked up an electric and started playing Jazz, Rock and Blues.Too many influences in so many styles. However, the two that have had the most profound effect on my playing would be Allan Holdsworth and Scott Henderson. Both are simply amazing. Also really dig Eric Johnson and Mike Landau.And to get ideas from a different perspective, I listen to Sax players like John Coltrane and Michael Brecker.

clarion

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 3:12 pm

"Mesa Dual Rectifier"used to own a dual a while back, did not like it too much as way too mid-rangy for me... still think the best boogies are the DC series.. just bought a studio DC2.+ a mesa 100W extension cab... this little schmuck is 20W but it sounds like a 60W!! i've owned 10 different amps over the last 15yrs and boogies definitely take the prize... also managed to pick up a prs custom 10 (w/ birdies and all) for under 600 quid!! strat and a les paul in one!!

chiral3

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 3:21 pm

mesa's are great. However, they are my second favorite. I am a Marshall guy. I never got into PRS or Les Paul, but I can see how people really like them.

greghm
Topic Author

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 3:28 pm

- anyone knows Hugues & Kettner ? is it too metal oriented ?- School of Rock, I have not seen, it but plan to see it in DivX, there seems to be too much moral in that movie... the Soundtrack is cool!- What are the costs of Mesa Boogie ? the most expensive ?

clarion

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 3:39 pm

"- anyone knows Hugues & Kettner ? is it too metal oriented ?"they are alright, better on the bass side though..- School of Rock, I have not seen, it but plan to see it in DivX, there seems to be too much moral in that movie... the Soundtrack is cool!its a kiddie movie, though i do like the soundtrack.. i think if tenacious d were to attempt serious lyrics they'd do really well..- What are the costs of Mesa Boogie ? the most expensive ?triaxis or tri-rectifiers go for as much as £1.5k+.. you can get a good second hand studio 22 or a DC for £400-500..

chiral3

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 3:42 pm

The question with amps and cost are always tube vs. solid state. True, tubes have a great warm sound, and it is easy to spend USD2500 - USD10000 on them. However, solid state valve simulators have gone a long way. You can get a 4x12"X100W solid state that sounds very much like a tube.

clarion

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 4:10 pm

"You can get a 4x12"X100W solid state that sounds very much like a tube. "I dont think you can ever reproduce the tube sounds (as you pointed out, the "warmness" sounds kinda synthetic to me on a solid); then again this is the big tube vs solid stae agruement that no one side will ever give in to..more importantly, its really your fingers that make your signature sound anyway... one exaple i like to use is zakk wylde - no other dude can make a marshall/les paul combo sound like that without using any processors...

greghm
Topic Author

Who plays guitar there ?

March 11th, 2004, 5:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: clarion"You can get a 4x12"X100W solid state that sounds very much like a tube. "I dont think you can ever reproduce the tube sounds (as you pointed out, the "warmness" sounds kinda synthetic to me on a solid); then again this is the big tube vs solid stae agruement that no one side will ever give in to..more importantly, its really your fingers that make your signature sound anyway... one exaple i like to use is zakk wylde - no other dude can make a marshall/les paul combo sound like that without using any processors...Tube is the rulebut Zakk W plays straight thru ? without effects ?