Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

kr
Topic Author

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 3:06 pm

things that are driving me crazy right now:- Nextel PTT ...I mean, is this to satisfy the inner trucker in you? is it really supposed to be a fun replacement for CB radio?- polyphonic ringtones that don't sound like phones ringing ...could there be anything more distracting? these newer NEC phones don't even have a built-in vanilla ringer anymoreI don't think I have to list the other obvious one - you're sitting on the train, or in some public place, and right next to you is some idiot who's cycling through EVERY SINGLE RINGTONE SELECTION in order to achieve momentary optimality. Um, why don't you just turn up the volume a little more please SO THAT MY BLOOD BOILS AND I DECIDE TO GOUGE YOUR EYES OUT WITH MY HOUSEKEYS because then I'd have a justifiable insanity pleasorry, this small office has a new Nextel unit and two new polyrings.. gonna have to start keeping the door closed all the time

LondonPete

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 3:13 pm

Surely it's more annoying to listen to someone's coversation but fail to fully understand it because you lack half of the conversation?

Tripitaka

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 4:00 pm

i thought it was stupid that the new camera phones make a noise when you take a picture, but someone pointed out it's probably to stop people taking sneaky photos up girls skirts undetected.I have a mate who reckons that once a day eveybody in the country should be allowed to punch one person who's acting like a twat, provided that you can prove they were being a twat.i think that would stop people from downloading the latest attomic kitten ringtone pretty quickly

James

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 4:39 pm

"SO THAT MY BLOOD BOILS AND I DECIDE TO GOUGE YOUR EYES OUT WITH MY HOUSEKEYS"Err. sounds like the positions are fragile today, eh?"Surely it's more annoying to listen to someone's coversation but fail to fully understand it because you lack half of the conversation?"I've lived in Chicago, Boston, NYC, Paris, WashDC, but never, never, have I heard such 'intimate' telephone conversations on public transport as in London.I once unavoidably listened to a chubby Pakistani-Brit girl detail her entire sexual history with one of her blokes to a friend for an excruciating 0.5 hour.Thought the little old lady pensioner next to me would seize up and die.Meanwhile, I am trying to progam my ringtone to be Van Halen's "Jump" without much success.

kr
Topic Author

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 8:54 pm

so James, you're saying beckham didn't just use SMS?but VH "Jump", all I can say is: exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcelllllennt!!!!!!and yes! you've guessed correctly! all those gains I've made on being short the long bond are little compensation for getting smashed on my shares of TNP, off 10% since yesterday on absolutely zippo news.

LongTheta

cellphone rant

April 29th, 2004, 10:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: krand yes! you've guessed correctly! all those gains I've made on being short the long bond are little compensation for getting smashed on my shares of TNP, off 10% since yesterday on absolutely zippo news.It's amazing how many a roadrage incident can be traced back to a conversation on breakfast that did it go well Someone just told me the other day, next time X goes out of his way to be abusive ask him if he wants to talk about something. Quite a bit of our reactions reflect on us rather than on our surroundings. But, back to what kr was saying, I used to think of my commuting time (which is extensive) as work time. It was time to sit totally without interruption, in a background of neutral railroad noise, and catch up on reading material. Then there came the "personal" headphones that put a hole into your eardrums from the other side of the carriage. Then there came the cell phones. I typically sit next to someone killing time on the train phoning her girlfriends. They seem to think that it's not cool to put their voices down. After all, it's public transport. On the other hand, it's considered bad manners (on my part) to comment on the conversation. I don't see why, she's sitting right in front of me, talking at "living room" voice, and I can help, I really can
Last edited by LongTheta on April 29th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

Re: cellphone rant

July 19th, 2021, 10:40 am

Israeli Firm’s Spyware Found on Phones Worldwide, Post Says

I'm not sure their techniques are more powerful and smarter than wife's, though.

Cuchulainn

Re: cellphone rant

July 19th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Connie has the last word
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMlALAaEwfA

aka Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero