SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

LongTheta

Does Mrs. Sonia Gandhi have the moral right to be the Indian PM?

May 17th, 2004, 11:05 pm

My expectation is that Sonia G will be no more than a figurehead, and that the political establishment within her party that will be in charge of decision making. At least that's my impression.
Last edited by LongTheta on May 17th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unquantifiable
Topic Author

May 18th, 2004, 6:17 am

Alas…I should have distanced myself from the stuff that I agree with and stuff I don’t in the first instance. That would have surely saved some of my fellow Wilmotters from the aggravation. Apologies.I don’t have any qualms about her background, where she came from, what she did for a living or anything of that sort.I’m reserving further comment on this issue and sincerely feel that this thread should be closed.

DominicConnor

May 18th, 2004, 7:40 am

Personally, I think the way we hire governments is crap.Democracy seems the least bad way of choosing, but, we can do better than this.People criticise Sonia Gandhi for her lack of experience. However, sooner or later you have to change managment team.The way we do it currently throws away experience as well. Not a function of democraciy though, since primitive state have a tendency to shoot former governments.Why not put together teams of people to run countries, the same way you hire people to run a firm ?There are any number of ex-leaders with useful experience who are bored, and would like a challenge.Why not put Steve Ballmer in charge of the Indian drive for IT ?Can go two ways as well. Get a junior Indian trade minister and put him in EU trade arguments with the USA. He'd take back valuable experience.

DominicConnor

May 18th, 2004, 7:49 am

Personally, I think the way we hire governments is crap.Democracy seems the least bad way of choosing teams, but, we need better teams.People criticise Sonia Gandhi for her lack of experience. However, sooner or later you have to change managment team.The way we do it currently throws away experience as well. Not a function of democracy though, since primitive state have a tendency to shoot former governments.Why not put together teams of people to run countries, the same way you hire people to run a firm ?There are any number of ex-leaders with useful experience who are bored, and would like a challenge.Why not put Steve Ballmer in charge of the Indian drive for IT ?Can go two ways as well. Get a junior Indian trade minister and put him in EU trade arguments with the USA. He'd take back valuable experience.

James

May 18th, 2004, 8:49 am

"I guess Anna Nicole Smith is an idol in your native Ireland. I'm sure even you are smart enough to realise that there's a difference between working your way up is not the same as marrying into wealth/ power."Uhhh. ANS married wealth, but not power. And she has mismanaged what she had ever since. Don't equate 'appears on television' with 'smart' 'success' or 'good manager.'Mrs. Ghandi, on the other hand, did marry wealth and power, and appears to have very ably managed both ever since.The comparison with ANS is ill posed.

LongTheta

May 18th, 2004, 9:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: JamesANS married wealth, but not power. And she has mismanaged what she had ever since. Don't equate 'appears on television' with 'smart' 'success' or 'good manager.'Do you have any further information about this, James? I thought she made a couple of artsy films. (LT steering the discussion into a fruitful direction).

James

May 18th, 2004, 9:27 am

I think ANS is destined to star in John Waters films.

Archimedean

May 18th, 2004, 12:05 pm

Sonia Gandhi has declined to become the PM of India. Former Finance Minsiter(Faher of Ecnomic Reforms) is tipped to become the next PM.

balrog

May 18th, 2004, 3:54 pm

Thank the lord, she's done the right thing - my respect for her has gone up hundred-fold...hey. maybe she'd make a good PM

James

May 18th, 2004, 4:02 pm

"You go, girl"

ppauper

May 18th, 2004, 5:42 pm

Last edited by ppauper on December 14th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerdna

May 18th, 2004, 5:55 pm

Guys, please stop putting down ANS. Forget about hiring Balmer to run India. ANS is a healthy american woman -- she could make a good president for the new Iraq for example. She is not destructable easily, unless they use ballistic missiles, and in general i think promotes values of the western civilization quite well. Ppauper, if this guy with red ring pulls the trigger, i'll have to say that this is natural selection at work. To have rings like that is a crime.
Last edited by zerdna on May 17th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

May 18th, 2004, 6:02 pm

Last edited by ppauper on December 14th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheInvestmentBiker

May 18th, 2004, 6:08 pm

Good riddance....... Its all melodrama.A lot of people in India are celebrating as well.Besides the article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _elections )which accompanies the photograph is one of the most biased & uninformed I have seen.'Singh, a softspoken Sikh known for his penchant for light blue turbans, would be the first member of an Indian religious minority to be prime minister. Sikhism, a religion founded about 1500 by Guru Nanak, rejects the caste system and idolatry. While all of India's prime ministers have been Hindus, most — like Singh — were also staunch secularists.'I dont understand why it is harping on the secular & minority tag, totally unnecessary & misleading. I dont know why the international media keep calling the BJP Hindu Nationalist? Just as an example Muslims (in general) in India are far better off than in most Islamic states.'Manmohan Singh, a Sikh and the architect of India's economic liberalization program during the last Congress party-led government from 1991 to 1996. ' Total CRAP - The World Bank put a gun to Indias head to push for these reforms. India was going to run out of forex in under a week and the forex loans were subject to the reforms condition. The congress didnt want to do it, they didnt like to do but now since those moves have paid off they want to take credit.

TheInvestmentBiker

May 18th, 2004, 6:12 pm

BTW The stock market had its biggest single day rise in 12 years when the heard the good news today that Sonia wont be PM.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On