Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags

Amusing Quotes

January 17th, 2015, 11:18 am

Discussing a trip to Madrid with and Iberia employee at the Geneva airport.The employee to me: "There is a lot of Spanish people there, you know."

Cuchulainn

Amusing Quotes

February 14th, 2016, 2:45 pm

"◾Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church. Please use large double door at the side entrance."

ExSan

Amusing Quotes

February 14th, 2016, 3:09 pm

°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

ppauper

Amusing Quotes

March 26th, 2016, 3:18 pm

"Well let me be clear: Donald Trump may be a rat, but I have no desire to copulate with him," Cruz said, bizarrely implying he is attracted to rodents.

Cuchulainn

Amusing Quotes

April 1st, 2016, 5:55 pm

Quote "My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger."
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 31st, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outrun

Re: Amusing Quotes

August 26th, 2016, 10:33 pm

spec.gamma

is the discount rate. When it is zero, the agent will be maximally greedy and won't plan ahead at all. It will grab all the reward it can get right away. For example, children that fail the marshmallow experiment have a very low gamma.

katastrofa

August 27th, 2016, 1:19 am

spec.gamma

is the discount rate. When it is zero, the agent will be maximally greedy and won't plan ahead at all. It will grab all the reward it can get right away. For example, children that fail the marshmallow experiment have a very low gamma.
That's probably one of the most idiotic experiments in the history of psychology. I cannot count all kinds of biases it is prone to, and it confirms nothing but those biases.

Traden4Alpha

August 27th, 2016, 1:59 am

spec.gamma

That's probably one of the most idiotic experiments in the history of psychology. I cannot count all kinds of biases it is prone to, and it confirms nothing but those biases.
It sounds like someone could not wait to eat that marshmallow...

katastrofa

August 27th, 2016, 2:55 am

Doesn't look edible to me. Have you ever tried it?

outrun

August 27th, 2016, 7:41 am

Yes, I agree, a very bad experiment,... Or something that has a natural growth rate? I can give my kids a basil plant (they love basil, very hard to keep). They'll eat off leafs,.. but how many?! At some point the plant is going to die.

Traden4Alpha

August 27th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Yes, I agree, a very bad experiment,... Or something that has a natural growth rate? I can give my kids a basil plant (they love basil, very hard to keep). They'll eat off leafs,.. but how many?! At some point the plant is going to die.
LOL! That sounds like an excellent science fair experiment: get 25 basil plants (5x5 array) and eat 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 leaves per day from each plant in row i. Measure the "health" of the plant over time and the total number (and size) of leaves one got to eat.

Cuchulainn

August 27th, 2016, 3:25 pm

spec.gamma

It is also one of the most famous one to boot! BTW it is called the OREO experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXYkuJ6SyU
Walter Mischel conducted the experiment to determine if there was a connection between self-control and cognitive aptitude. Immediate gratification or not?
Daniel Kahneman calls it System 1 thinking.

Why do you think it is a stupid experiment?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 27th, 2016, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

August 27th, 2016, 3:26 pm

LOL!  That sounds like an excellent science fair experiment: get 25 basil plants (5x5 array) and eat 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 leaves per day from each plant in row i.  Measure the "health" of the plant over time and the total number (and size) of leaves one got to eat.
My cats always ruin my basil too... BTW, are outrun, Paul and Cuchulainn the only fathers in this forum or just the only ones who like (talking about) their children?
Last edited by katastrofa on August 28th, 2016, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

August 27th, 2016, 3:31 pm

LOL!  That sounds like an excellent science fair experiment: get 25 basil plants (5x5 array) and eat 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 leaves per day from each plant in row i.  Measure the "health" of the plant over time and the total number (and size) of leaves one got to eat.
My cats always ruin my basil too... BTW, are outrun, Paul and Cuchulainn the only fathers in this forum or just the only ones who like (talking about) them?
Don't get me started about my grandchildren..

katastrofa

August 27th, 2016, 3:47 pm

It is also one of the most famous one to boot! BTW it is called the OREO experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXYkuJ6SyU
Walter Mischel conducted the experiment to determine if there was a connection between self-control and cognitive aptitude. Immediate gratification or not?
Daniel Kahneman calls it System 1 thinking.

Why do you think it is a stupid experiment?
Because of the biases - the same ones those kids will be subject to later in their life. Hence, the correlation might be built on confounders. The first improvement I would introduce to the experiment would be recording the instructions for children so that the adult doesn't interact with them in person.
Regarding the connection between self-control and cognitive aptitude, taking any tests requires patience and stamina, and these are further determined by individual utility functions... There are simply too many psychological and other factors involved to draw firm conclusions.
Last edited by katastrofa on August 27th, 2016, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.