July 13th, 2004, 1:29 pm

unquantifiable

A fool and his money..........

July 14th, 2004, 3:40 am

Dead link, my friend...

adas

July 14th, 2004, 4:39 am

A fool and his money are soon partying.What site could I possibly be referring to?

longshort

July 14th, 2004, 7:12 am

What do you mean by that adas?And btw where are now those portfolios that those fools managed?

player
Topic Author

July 14th, 2004, 8:56 am

I cant beleive the website seem to have been pulled ..anyway the article discussed the following:Im sure anyone who has had a hotmail account has been sent at one time a email orignating from nigeria saying blah,..blah,... we need x amount of money from you to get hold of £X million pounds which we will then give you a share off. Many a person has been conned out this scam....However someone decided to play them at their own game....When they recieved this email they sent one back saying they cant give money to people who arent a member of their sect...They got a response saying the scam artist would like to join this sect....In turn they sent out a response saying if you give us £X amount of money in a cheque this will confirm to us that you are a member of the sect....the fool/scam artist was roped in an ended up paying a cheque to join a non-existent sect in the hope of obtaining the money later on.....Next time I recieve such email..I going to try it

daveangel

July 14th, 2004, 9:52 am

i often wind these guys up and ask them for 75% ... that soon puts them off. I will try to scam them if I can.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Mac99

July 14th, 2004, 12:57 pm

http://www.419eater.com/ read the church of the painted breast.

daveangel

July 15th, 2004, 6:19 pm

And why is it never "A fool and HER money" ????
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

adas

July 20th, 2004, 5:38 am

QuoteWhat do you mean by that adas?That's the signature at the bottom of E-mail's sent by The Motley Fool.com The quote is "a fool and his money are soon parted." These guys have changed it to "a fool and his money are soon partying", referring to themselves: The Motley Fools.QuoteNext time I recieve such email..I going to try it That makes 2 of us. What astounds me is how do people fall for these E-mails. I mean, you are asked to procure passports, visas and often a few thousand dollars for these people.. Who can do that? Mobsters? It took me 2 months to organize my student visa.QuoteAnd why is it never "A fool and HER money" ???? They probably spent all their money.

otorne

July 20th, 2004, 8:01 am

I've heard that if you reply to that type of email they note your address as being active and then you're premium game for spamming. I get emails from these so-called nigerians (and some claiming to come from UAE etc) every other day. Actually some of them are quite entertaining. I've also won the odd $1m from South African lotteries.

ppauper

July 26th, 2004, 1:13 pm

Last edited by ppauper on December 18th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

July 26th, 2004, 1:48 pm

My money went to nigeria, and all I got was a lousy T ShirtLawyers are by far the largest group to fall for this sort of scam.So prevalent is this type of fraud, that the Nigerian state bank has placed adverts telling foreigners not to be so dumb..Personally, I feel that if you exceed this threshold of stupidity then your money will be gone soon, and all you are varying is which scam gets you first.I recall the story of one bloke who contacted the FBI about an Email from Nigeria."Is it legit ?" he asked."No." said the FBI."Are you sure ?""Yes sir, we're sure, we're the FBI, if we say its a scam, its a scam".As I recall he went to Nigeria, lost all the money, and they kidnapped him as well in an attempt to get more. Sad
Last edited by DominicConnor on July 25th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

July 26th, 2004, 2:05 pm

DEAR SIRI AM PAUL WILMOTT. I HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK THAT WILL TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE YOUR FORTUNE BY THE FINANCIAL MARKETS.I HAVE A DOCTORATE AND A PHD FROM THE ANCIENT CITY OF OXFORD, AND I HAVE WORKED THERE. DUE TO THE ACTIONS OF THE BLAIR GOVERNMENT IN IRAQ I HAVE A LARGE QUANTITY OF BOOKS WHICH I HOPE YOU AS AN HONOURABLE MAN WILL ASSIST ME IN EXCHANGING FOR MONEY. THE BOOKS CONTAIN MANY SECRETS AND WRITINGS IN MYSTIC SYMBOLS, WHICH I WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU. I HAVE A SECRET OFFICE IN LONDON ENGLAND, WHERE I SAY THINGS TO PEOPLE, BUT THEIR NAMES ARE SECRET, EVEN TO THEMSELVES. FOR ONLY 10,000 OF YOUR ENGLISH POUNDS I WILL GIVE YOU A COPY OF MY SECRET BOOK, AND EXPLAIN THE WRITINGS. I WILL BE HELPED BY MY AGENT, A MAN WHO IS SOMETIMES CALLED RIAZ. HE HAS THE POWER TO DECLARE ANY PLACE IN LONDON TO BE A LAPDANCING CLUB. MY BOOK IS IN TWO PARTS. SOME SAY THERE IS A THIRD, BUT THEY ARE FOOLS AND DOGS, SOME ARE NOT EVEN FOOLS, BUT DOGS THEY ARE. YOU MUST KEEP MY SECRETS. THERE ARE THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW WHAT I WILL TELL YOU. THEY ARE DOGS, AND DANGEROUS ONES. THEY WRITE BOOKS THAT ONLY COME IN ONE PART. AS A WISE MAN YOU WILL KNOW THAT ALL BOOKS OF WISDOM COME IN TWO PARTS. TO GAIN THIS WISDOM YOU MUST HAVE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. WE POUR SCORN UPON THOSE WITHOUT THIS, AND THEY ARE DOGS. THEY CANNOT ENTER OUR DOMAIN, OR SHARE IN THE WISDOM OF THE ONE NO ONE CALLS DCFC, OR THE ONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF MIKEBELL. WE DO NOT ACCEPT AMERICAN EXPRESS, FOR THEY ARE DOGS, BUT YOUR YANKEE DOLLARS IN CASH, OR PRINCESS DIANAS FRAGRANT POUNDS.PLEASE REPLY TODAY.YOUR SINCERELY PAUL WILMOTTCHIEF QUANTITATIVE ANALYSYTRUST BANK OF NIGERIA
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On