SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tosh137
Topic Author

What's a good global political publication to subscribe to?

August 30th, 2004, 1:57 am

Noam Chomsky says read Le Monde diplomatique but he writes there...Any suggestions on this or anything else.Politics with a heavy dose of finance would be best
Last edited by tosh137 on August 29th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kc11415

August 30th, 2004, 2:39 am

Myself, I like The Economist but some here will claim it as too left leaning.However, if you really want to understand politics, then at your local bookstore you must pick up an issue of:Campaigns & Elections Magazinehttp://www.campaignline.com/Then you'll realize what a huge business is politics.What most folks don't realize is that US politics is managed pretty much the same as most major league sports, with only 2 franchise teams. The state & local level serve as farm teams.Go find a copy of the movie "Bullworth"Then go to your local bookstore and grab a copy of the best seller:The 48 Laws of Power , by Robert Greene ISBN: 0140280197to understand the real philosophy shared by elected politicians of both parties.Heck, just read the Table Of Contents on Amazon.com, as that has a 1 paragraph summary for each chapter listing.

unquantifiable

August 30th, 2004, 9:34 am

i'd go with the economist too.i do recollect reading idea global's fixed income today (at an earlier employer) which carried some political snippets.btw, kc, primary colors (john travolta) is an interesting portrayal of how US presidential campaigns are run.cheers.

mikebell

August 30th, 2004, 1:56 pm

The Economist left leaning?! As for that book, it's crap. It's so big and so full of nonsense that I doubt anyone has actually managed to read it cover to cover.I only subscribe to Economist, WSJ (for daily news) and NR.... and I have trouble finding time to read all of the articles I'm interested in.

mdubuque

August 30th, 2004, 9:48 pm

The Financial Times of London. An excellent counterpoint to the Economist; they opposed the premature attack on Iraq from the beginning and their financial reporting is first-rate. Far more of a progressive tone than the Economist.New Perspectives Quarterly. Articles by Ariel Sharon, Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Netanyahu, Henry Kissinger, Gaidar, Yavlinsky, Peres, Musharaf, Castro, Chavez, Cheney, Carlos Fuentes, Marquez, Yassir Arafat, Lee Kuan Eu (sp?), Deng Xiao Peng, Fukuyama, Huntington, Paul Wolfowitz, Zbig Brzezinski, Anthony Zinni, Bill Clinton, Arundhati Roy, Noam Chomsky, Madeline Albright, Condolezza Rice, Malathir, Lula, Laura Tyson, Kirchner, etc. Each issue is devoted to a single topic.The most unbelievably diverse and eclectic publication I know. Writers from every conceivable part of the political spectrum. Check them out at: http://www.digitalnpq.org/Also, the Hindustan TimesMatthew
Last edited by mdubuque on August 29th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exotiq

September 1st, 2004, 9:11 pm

What I find most of these missing is hard-core statistical analyses of issues, proposals, events, and possible outcomes. But then it seems that politics as we have known it depends on numerical illiteracy...

mdubuque

September 2nd, 2004, 1:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: exotiqWhat I find most of these missing is hard-core statistical analyses of issues, proposals, events, and possible outcomes. But then it seems that politics as we have known it depends on numerical illiteracy...I also subscribe to the Economic Review published by the Kansas City branch of the Federal Reserve (a surprisingly influential branch) which brings a pretty solid quantitative bent to quite a few different political issues of the day, with a progressive political viewpoint corresponding more closely to the FT than to the Economist. Check out their back issues at:http://www.kc.frb.org/PUBLICAT/ECONREV/ermain.htmAlso, I read the Economic Review published monthly by the Cleveland branch of the Federal Reserve which always has some political content. One of the things I like about this particular publication is that they have some very good graphics to supplement their presentations. They have a more conservative take on current affairs.These publications are both outstanding and free of charge. You can put yourself on the subscription list by accessing their individual web sites online.I've also subscribed to the Richmond, Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas and New York (but never St. Louis!) publications in the past, but I definitely prefer the Kansas City and Cleveland publications. Kansas City is incredible in everything they put out and there's lots of political content there. Gordon Sellon and Craig Hakkio have assembled quite a remarkable group of mathematicians/economists that produced the likes of Wayne Angell, among others.Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on September 1st, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On