SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mdubuque

what job category in finance do you think ensures the best quality of life?

October 16th, 2004, 10:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AaronTo bring this back to earth a little, I think there is a hidden assumption in the question: that you pick one job category.Samudra-This advice is quite good, but more much importantly it appreciates over time. It fits very well with trends in the workplace we can't control.Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on October 16th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YngQuantStudent

October 17th, 2004, 5:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerGirls and guys should not get confused. Girls are thermometers, and they are designed to be less interested in sex if the paint is peeling, or if there are bombs dropping or something. In other words, girls are designed to be malcontent or to be content doing nothing, just observing and judging. For girls, quality of life means whether the environment is secure for either raising children, or for being treated like a child themselves. But a guy can be happy tooling around with engines or arguing or something, or pursuing a goal.QuoteWOW!!!! Damn and here I've been pursuing a goal, when I should have just been observing and judging.

farmer

October 17th, 2004, 12:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentWOW!!!! Damn and here I've been pursuing a goal, when I should have just been observing and judging.Oh boy, a girl goes to college. Can we get some applause here, maybe a nobel prize?Come back in 20 years, if you really have something to tell us about.

YngQuantStudent

October 17th, 2004, 3:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentWOW!!!! Damn and here I've been pursuing a goal, when I should have just been observing and judging.Oh boy, a girl goes to college. Can we get some applause here, maybe a nobel prize?Come back in 20 years, if you really have something to tell us about.Luckily this is not the way the majority of men feel. You're just showing your ignorance by voicing this opinion.

zerdna

October 17th, 2004, 4:33 pm

let me ask another question. "what color of underwear ensures the best quality of life?" You have to go for things that matter for you, not for what other people think. That's what ensures quality of your life. Why does it matter for you what Mob, or Aaron, or zerdna think, that is my question. If Aaron tells you that brunettes with big boobs are hotter than anything, would you automatically go for them? What if you like blondes with big asses? I think it was in "three musketeers" that someone says that people ask advice to not to follow it. The best thing you could do with all our advice is read it at the smallest room of your house, and then put it behind you, if you know what i mean.
Last edited by zerdna on October 16th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

October 17th, 2004, 4:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentLuckily this is not the way the majority of men feel.You mean the majority of men feel more polite? Because people don't always say what they think.QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentYou're just showing your ignorance by voicing this opinion.Ignorance is not a feeling. My feeling is that I would like to set up every girl on the planet in a Candyland, where their every dream is realized. My empirical observations are that sharp girls drop out of the workforce. And the reason is because the way most women feel. Most women have a double standard between men and women. They would make best friends with a girl who is unemployed and shows up at the grocery store wearing sweatpants at 10:00 in the morning. But they would look down their noses on a man who did the same, and certainly would not marry him. A guy will marry a girl whether she uses her degree in a job or not, or whether she has a degree or not.QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaWhy does it matter for you what Mob, or Aaron, or zerdna think, that is my question.For a number of girls who enter the workforce, that is all that matters. They want to prove they can do it, it's all about status or peer approval. And they are sent to die like little soldiers, on behalf of the bitter ugly women - a.k.a. feminists - who came before them. Then when they start to approach age 30 they realize that the world is evil, and all those encouraging women whose dreams and ideas for young girls they acted out like following a script, have nothing to offer them in return. Here's a tip, YngQuantStudent: Nobody but a tiny handful of people cares, or has time to care, whether girls succeed in math class or not. They just want the wax on their cars to shine, or the pricing model to work. If you are doing what you are doing on behalf of spectators, you should at least go into sports or acting or someplace where the cheering spectators actually pay you.

ppauper

October 17th, 2004, 5:15 pm

Last edited by ppauper on January 26th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque

October 17th, 2004, 6:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerLuckily this is not the way the majority of men feel. You're just showing your ignorance by voicing this opinion.It's not just ignorance. It's also an example of misogyny. This guy's a real miscreant. He views his written snotballs of blind rage at the world as a somehow being a sign of intelligence, compassion and wit.Remember, this is the guy who said in this forum just last month that he has 6 billion enemies.Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on October 16th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

October 17th, 2004, 9:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueIt's not just ignorance.Consider 10 guys and 10 girls with identical educations and starting positions. Will, or will not, a higher percentage of the girls have dropped out of the workforce 10 years later?QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueIt's also an example of misogyny.If I were a misogynist - which I probably am - I would take pleasure in seeing girls enslaved as miserable worker ants alongside Samudra. Now you claim to like Latina girls. But if you really are such a gift to them, what evidence do you have to prove this? What have you ever done for girls, one or many? Could you give me the initials of five girls who are very thankful for what you have done for them? I don't like girls or dogs, and I wish I didn't have responsibilities toward both.QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueThis guy's a real miscreant.Miscreant? That's mild, I'm a psycho spree killer. But even worse, I'm as unpredictable and unrestrained as the wind, on other days volunteering at the hospital to tell jokes to young people with terminal illnesses. QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueHe views his written snotballs of blind rage at the world as a somehow being a sign of intelligence, compassion and wit.That sounds like an egotist. I'm evil, and therefore I don't have too much to boast about. I merely point out that what you imagine is compassion is simply vanity. And I think corny or boorish would be a better characterization of my wit.QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueRemember, this is the guy who said in this forum just last month that he has 6 billion enemies.Most people have six people they care about - six people whose misfortune would keep them up at night - and six billion people they don't care about, who are just pictures in magazines. If the people of the United States are so good to you, then why do you wish to run off and hide in some jungle lean-to in the Caribbean when you retire? Do you consider the Northerners to all be evil, blue-eyed devils? If they are so good, then why reject and abandon them? How many friends do you plan on taking with you to your little refuge?

YngQuantStudent

October 17th, 2004, 10:34 pm

farmerI can't wait until we meet face to face and I'm your boss. (btw how many times have your propositions been refused?)

farmer

October 17th, 2004, 10:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudentI can't wait until we meet face to face and I'm your boss.That's an odd reason to pursue a career. What, was your big sister mean to you? In any case, if you get that position in fixed income at CitiGroup, I'd love for you to be my boss! Whatever you need done just say it, I'm your guy.QuoteOriginally posted by: YngQuantStudent(btw how many times have your propositions been refused?)If you're talking about sex, you've got me confused with other participants in the thread. I'm not a big pursuer of girls. Just about every girl I've had sex with has been a result of some random accident, like her car breaking down, or her being locked out of her apartment. In fact, I've only ever pursued girls whom I planned on being turned down by, and in such a way that I was confident they would. They get that look in their eye, or start sticking their ass in your face, sometimes you have to snap it off with a crass suggestion. Would you feel better if a guy said "Let's just be friends," or if a guy said something really rude? When girls spend two hours picking out clothes, sometimes it's nice to leave them with their self esteem!

zerdna

October 17th, 2004, 11:38 pm

QuoteIt's not just ignorance. It's also an example of misogyny. This guy's a real miscreant. He views his written snotballs of blind rage at the world as a somehow being a sign of intelligence, compassion and wit.Remember, this is the guy who said in this forum just last month that he has 6 billion enemies.Matthew Gee, Matthew, are you married for ten years, have a kid and don't go out? The girl already wants to dominate himQuoteI can't wait until we meet face to face and I'm your boss. and is asking if he is singleQuote(btw how many times have your propositions been refused?) See what speaking your mind does to women? You should try it.

YngQuantStudent

October 18th, 2004, 1:52 am

Wow! I didn't realize this forum was so filled with sexist men. If that is how you all feel maybe you should speak with the owner and keep all women out. I thought this was a place where we could all relate on our common interested (quantitative finance) regardless of our sex. If being a man is a prerequisuite for this site I wish I would have known sooner. I am really insulted, and have lost alot of respect for some of the participates of this forum.

zerdna

October 18th, 2004, 2:53 am

QuoteI am really insulted, and have lost alot of respect for some of the participates of this forum. Sic transit gloria mundi...Yng, can i do something to change your opinion of this forum? Martini at Tao tomorrow maybe? I could hold your hand and talk in French poetry only about quant finance, our common interest. Don't pay any attention to this rude bastard farmer, the rest of us are not sexists, we are educated, sophisticated, intelligent, young, tall, dark, and handsome financiers who like Beethoven, long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, and would be exstatic to have you as a boss. Well, some probably might be, at least for some time. Just pleeease, love us, don't hate us...

unquantifiable

October 18th, 2004, 3:34 am

another very interesting topic (relevant to all our lives) going to the dogs. can we please focus on what the thread originally meant to discuss?yng, i think it would be really help if you initiated a separate thread... i'll leave it to you what to name it...but please please do...rgds
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On