Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

pusher
Topic Author

Inflation question

November 10th, 2004, 1:28 pm

Hey,In today's WSJ: Pg C4, right hand article:1. The TIPS and treasury (10-yr sector) have a large spread and is *increasing*. Implying that there's gonna be some inflation in the future.2. Also, the diff between 2 yr and 10 yr yields is *decreasing*. WSJ says 2. means that traders "don't care much about inflation".Isn't there a contradiction here?

mdubuque

Inflation question

November 11th, 2004, 9:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: pusherHey,In today's WSJ: Pg C4, right hand article:1. The TIPS and treasury (10-yr sector) have a large spread and is *increasing*. Implying that there's gonna be some inflation in the future.2. Also, the diff between 2 yr and 10 yr yields is *decreasing*. WSJ says 2. means that traders "don't care much about inflation".Isn't there a contradiction here?Personally, I don't read the WSJ anymore; I have found them generally clueless about interest rates for decades. And it is common to find explicit contradictions on the same page re: interest rates and bonds. I actually had someone in the top 5 of senior management at the New York Fed in stitches not too long ago with my parody of WSJ interest rate drivel. They are clueless.I highly recommend the Financial Times of London; you will find far fewer outright contradictions on the same page and a far more coherent analysis of the capital markets than anything the WSJ can offer.Matthew

tags

Re: Inflation question

May 7th, 2022, 11:57 am

bearish

May 8th, 2022, 2:15 am

That’s a bit high-brow and intellectual for the Fox News crowd, but whatever.

tags

August 10th, 2022, 10:01 pm

bearish

August 10th, 2022, 11:26 pm

I haven’t actually watched Cramer for twenty years, but I don’t think I’ve been missing much. His ratio of loud “entertainment” to content is close to the singularity.

Paul

August 11th, 2022, 9:49 am

He and the FT are both noise. 

Offhand, I can't think of any positive indicators. I just see what The Economist, Channel 4, Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, and a few others, are saying and they are invariably wrong. (To non-UK readers, YA-B is worth watching occasionally. I assume she's a parody, no real person can signal their virtue to that extent.)

katastrofa

August 11th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is a British journalist and author, who describes herself as "a leftie liberal, anti-racist, feminist, Muslim...person".
She needs to add transgender, lesbian and black if she doesn't want to drop out of her comfort zone.

bearish

August 11th, 2022, 10:16 pm

Well, a little research suggests that she considers herself to be “of colour”, but probably not a member of the L or T crowd on account of being married to a (white) man and the mother of his daughter.

Gamal

August 12th, 2022, 7:42 am

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is a British journalist and author, who describes herself as "a leftie liberal, anti-racist, feminist, Muslim...person".
She needs to add transgender, lesbian and black if she doesn't want to drop out of her comfort zone.
Wrong. If she/he/ye/ze/be/... etc. is transgender, she/he/ye/ze/be cannot be lesbian, she/he/ye/ze/be can only gay. She/he/ye/ze/be can be lesbian only being double transgender. And she/he/ye/ze/be cannot be Muslim and liberal at the same time.

Paul

August 12th, 2022, 9:08 am

"...of colour..."

I am currently #deaa9c.