tw

Re: recommendation to Ukraine: it's called "the electoral college"

April 14th, 2019, 10:08 am

polyphonyproject  

Better than le mystere des voix bulgares

katastrofa

April 14th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Sweet! In the Odessa region, which wasn't covered by this project according to the map, the rhythms were more Balkan / oriental and mostly instrumental (melting pot of the world - just like the people living there). That's where the klezmer music originated - and later managed to escape the Holocaust to America/Hollywood:
There was a nice Ukrainian music festival in London last summer. If you like such regional curiosities, I'll let you know if they organise it again.

katastrofa

April 20th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Putin’s big Ukraine win

The guy behind Zelenskiy:
[...] Ihor Kolomoisky, one of Ukraine’s most powerful oligarchs, whose assets range from banking to media.
He’s also a declared enemy of Poroshenko, who removed Kolomoisky as a regional governor and stripped him of his control of a major bank. The government accused the oligarch of embezzling billions from PrivatBank, which required a rescue that ran into the billions.
Kolomoisky, who has lived in exile in Israel since 2016, fearing prosecution at home, backs Zelenskiy. If his candidate wins, Kolomoisky is widely expected to come back.
Ukraine’s judiciary appears to be already preparing for his return. On Thursday, a court ruled that the government seizure of PrivatBank in 2016 was illegal.
“That means I won,” a triumphant Kolomoisky told Reuters upon hearing of the ruling.

katastrofa

September 6th, 2019, 8:22 pm

New gastro-route to open in Bessarabia, where wild katastrofas are...
"Винний наркотик", бринза і баранина. Яким буде перший гастромаршрут Бессарабією

Not very vegan as you can in the photos in the article, but I've just baked a vegan Bambinella peach cheesecake :-D

katastrofa

September 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm

katastrofa

September 30th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Not that I think anyone here's interested, but it's live on yt now ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLVupK6KhQ

bearish

September 30th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I did watch it. Admittedly delayed, and as part of a multitasking exercise, but I think I learnt a few things. Not quite as graphic as the lesson from Cuch’s headless chicken video, but much more civilized than last night’s US presidential “debate”. If they got to your question, I missed it.

katastrofa

September 30th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Cool! My question was quite trivial and not selected - I'm a bit obsessed with petroleum politics and wondered whether the speaker had something to say about it :-)

The main takeaways for me: the question what it takes for the Russian imperialist mentality to wear off (and how long it can live on in denial - vide the UK), and the theory that building a democratic Europe for the people is the way to attract young Russians to the democratic ideals and win them over from Putin.

As for you, Prof Yekelchuk suggested taking lesson from Ukraine on organising a putsch :-)

katastrofa

November 13th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Return of *the* state in Ukraine
Covid pass required in public transport, restaurants, shoppinh centres, ...
It you add to that the forgotten war in the east, air travel closed between Kyiv and Moscow, Internet censhorship, etc. feels like we're back in USSR.
Norway is planning to re-introduce lockdown restrictions, in particular for non-vaccinated. That's right after a short period of the total freedom which resulted in spiking infection rates... Either it was their plan or they are dumber than I can comprehend.

katastrofa

December 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Крім того, Росія пропонує відмовитись "від ведення будь-якої військової діяльності на території України, а також інших держав Східної Європи, Закавказзя та Центральної Азії".

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2021/12/17/7317753/

That’s a grand promise, or even imperial! :-))

katastrofa

February 15th, 2022, 3:22 pm

From latest Ikea collection:
putin_table.jpg