SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tw

Re: Classical music thread...

April 30th, 2019, 10:14 am

I can't see any burning tyres or people selling crack on the street corner so looks upmarket to me.
That's why I prefer ENO to ROH: Royal Opera House graphic designer, 37, is charged with murdering his girlfriend, 35, after her body was found at their upmarket London flat on Friday

Too much opera?? "Upmarket flat" in Whitechapel, east London - I lol'd
Last edited by tw on April 30th, 2019, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

April 30th, 2019, 10:51 am

Cuchulainn

April 30th, 2019, 11:06 am

Upmarket flats in Whitechapel, How times have changed. I suppose Brick Lane is next.

ISayMoo

April 30th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Indeed

The high prices are due to the proximity to The City, not due to high quality. Whitechapel was rebuilt quickly and cheaply after the Germans bombed it to the ground during WWII, and it shows.

katastrofa

May 1st, 2019, 7:05 pm

I can't see any burning tyres or people selling crack on the street corner so looks upmarket to me.
That's why I prefer ENO to ROH: Royal Opera House graphic designer, 37, is charged with murdering his girlfriend, 35, after her body was found at their upmarket London flat on Friday

Too much opera?? "Upmarket flat" in Whitechapel, east London - I lol'd
The photo must have been taken after 10 am, when East Londoners are already stoned - they need to get up in the evening to go out and stab someone. We stopped burning tires when Sadiq Khan introduced low emission zone.

East London - the only place in London where I feel like home... but, indeed, times are changing. More and more City boys come here to look for adventures and that's what happens: upmarket flats, middle-class crimes, strange guys in pubs (one guy asked me if I wanted a drink and when I asked him if his baldness was heritable, he called me an unpleasant word).

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2019, 10:16 pm

And Sweet and Spicey in Brick Lane is gone since 2014. I used  to hang out there.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/03/27/ ... eet-spicy/

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2019, 10:17 pm

And Omar's Sweet and Spicey in Brick Lane is gone since 2014. I used  to hang out there.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/03/27/ ... eet-spicy/

katastrofa

May 1st, 2019, 10:54 pm

Brick Lane is unhangingoutable these days (crowds of millennials, hipsters, tourists and City people). I'm based more to the east and now living even further in the most soul-less district of London, Isle of Dogs (no offence to dogs). Today my friend saw forensics investigating someone's body "sitting" on a bench!

bearish

May 2nd, 2019, 12:24 am

I seem to remember Brick Lane being a bit edgy, as far as dining out was concerned. But I think that was 1993.

ISayMoo

May 2nd, 2019, 10:14 am

London's crime rates were much higher in the 1990s than now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_ ... 0-2017.png

But the Tories are doing their best to bring back the Good Old Days.

Cuchulainn

May 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am

I seem to remember Brick Lane being a bit edgy, as far as dining out was concerned. But I think that was 1993.
Prince Charles recommended this one.

tw

May 2nd, 2019, 6:06 pm

In my (limited) experience east London always had an edge to it but I thought the places that felt really dangerous were south of the river. Peckham used to feel awful but the Damilola Taylor murder in the 2000s really was an eye opener in terms of what human beings would do to each other In the city. Now you have to give one months notice to get a restaurant table there.

Part of the deal I made with my wife for moving to London was that we would rent a house with a garden. Unfortunately that always seemed to require living in places where drug murders kept happening . Swings and roundabouts.
Brick Lane is unhangingoutable these days (crowds of millennials, hipsters, tourists and City people). I'm based more to the east and now living even further in the most soul-less district of London, Isle of Dogs (no offence to dogs). Today my friend saw forensics investigating someone's body "sitting" on a bench!

Cuchulainn

May 2nd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Brick Lane used to be a Jewish street until the 1950s with many little sewing shops. Then It became Bangla Town.

If you are worried .. tours to help get around in the East End.

Cuchulainn

May 2nd, 2019, 6:34 pm

The day Irish and Jewish joined forces against British fascists

ttps://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroa ... -1.3402286

katastrofa

May 2nd, 2019, 7:35 pm

It's not much better on this side of Thamesis:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... y-12552235
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47435863
Stabbings of gangsters and collateral damage have become a daily life.

Do you at least have a real garden or just some miserable concrete 20 ft disgrace to the word "garden"? Forgive my bluntness.

In my (limited) experience east London always had an edge to it but I thought the places that felt really dangerous were south of the river. Peckham used to feel awful but the Damilola Taylor murder in the 2000s really was an eye opener in terms of what human beings would do to each other In the city.  Now you have to give one months notice to get a restaurant table there.

Part of the deal I made with my wife for moving to London was that we would rent a house with a garden. Unfortunately that always seemed to require living in places where drug murders kept happening . Swings and roundabouts.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On