SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ISayMoo

Re: Classical music thread...

May 2nd, 2019, 11:23 pm

Brick Lane used to be a Jewish street until the 1950s with many little sewing shops. Then It became Bangla Town.

If you are worried .. tours to help get around in the East End.
You can still see Orthodox Jews riding on bicycles around Whitechapel and Limehouse sometimes, btw. Wearing a long black trench coat and a top hat doesn't make one look too dignified when seated on a Santander rental bike.

bearish

May 3rd, 2019, 1:04 am

In my (limited) experience east London always had an edge to it but I thought the places that felt really dangerous were south of the river. Peckham used to feel awful but the Damilola Taylor murder in the 2000s really was an eye opener in terms of what human beings would do to each other In the city.  Now you have to give one months notice to get a restaurant table there.

Part of the deal I made with my wife for moving to London was that we would rent a house with a garden. Unfortunately that always seemed to require living in places where drug murders kept happening . Swings and roundabouts.
Brick Lane is unhangingoutable these days (crowds of millennials, hipsters, tourists and City people). I'm based more to the east and now living even further in the most soul-less district of London, Isle of Dogs (no offence to dogs). Today my friend saw forensics investigating someone's body "sitting" on a bench!
A good friend of mine lives in Peckham Rye, and I have visited a number of times. A diverse neighborhood to be sure, but I've never felt too far out of place there. 

tw

May 3rd, 2019, 6:29 am

Brick Lane used to be a Jewish street until the 1950s with many little sewing shops. Then It became Bangla Town.

If you are worried .. tours to help get around in the East End.
That area has a fascinating history of immigration. Huguenots, Irish, Jewish, Bangladeshi.
I am not sure that the hipsters add much to the tapestry.

I used to work in Heron tower a few years back and was having s pint around there and a tourist group came around and furiously started photographing a snappy snaps shop. It turns out it was the site of some gruesome Victorian murder.

tw

May 3rd, 2019, 7:28 am

That is not blunt at all!

Yes, I stuck to the promise we would always live in a place with a garden, but they tended to be the
ones that go along with Victorian terraced house stock. Dark, overlooked and filled with ancient builders rubble.
Plus you get to play the Londoners game of when everyone sits out on sunny weekends, and you can clearly overhear
your neighbours' conversations but find the right mental state to completely tune them out.

It's not much better on this side of Thamesis:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... y-12552235
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47435863
Stabbings of gangsters and collateral damage have become a daily life.

Do you at least have a real garden or just some miserable concrete 20 ft disgrace to the word "garden"? Forgive my bluntness.

In my (limited) experience east London always had an edge to it but I thought the places that felt really dangerous were south of the river. Peckham used to feel awful but the Damilola Taylor murder in the 2000s really was an eye opener in terms of what human beings would do to each other In the city.  Now you have to give one months notice to get a restaurant table there.

Part of the deal I made with my wife for moving to London was that we would rent a house with a garden. Unfortunately that always seemed to require living in places where drug murders kept happening . Swings and roundabouts.
Brick Lane is unhangingoutable these days (crowds of millennials, hipsters, tourists and City people). I'm based more to the east and now living even further in the most soul-less district of London, Isle of Dogs (no offence to dogs). Today my friend saw forensics investigating someone's body "sitting" on a bench!

ISayMoo

May 3rd, 2019, 10:43 am

Does finding the right mental state involve lots of wine?

MarkBrezina

May 3rd, 2019, 2:14 pm

I would agree, Wine is very nice for a creative and insightful state of mind

Cuchulainn

May 3rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

I would agree, Wine is very nice for a creative and insightful state of mind

MarkBrezina

May 3rd, 2019, 3:09 pm

Uhhh! You guys just reminded me! I have a gin standing around and there's a party at my dorm tonight <3

katastrofa

May 3rd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Alright, folks! Child on board! Mind your language, no adult content!

MarkBrezina

May 3rd, 2019, 4:38 pm

Thank you :D but don't worry, I'll stay nice, I know you guys are about to step into the grave with all those wrinkles

Cuchulainn

May 3rd, 2019, 6:52 pm

bearish

May 3rd, 2019, 7:13 pm

Alright, folks! Child on board! Mind your language, no adult content!
You’re crimping my style!

katastrofa

May 4th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I hope your wife wasn't as unhappy in London as I was when I had to move here.

More East London news: Two women bodies found inside freezer in east London flat - "A man has been charged with two counts of preventing a lawful burial."

That is not blunt at all!

Yes, I  stuck to the promise we would always live in a place with a garden, but they tended to be the
ones that go along with Victorian terraced house stock. Dark, overlooked and filled with ancient builders rubble.
Plus you get to play the Londoners game of when everyone sits out on sunny weekends, and you can clearly overhear
your neighbours' conversations but find the right mental state to completely tune them out.

It's not much better on this side of Thamesis:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... y-12552235
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47435863
Stabbings of gangsters and collateral damage have become a daily life.

Do you at least have a real garden or just some miserable concrete 20 ft disgrace to the word "garden"? Forgive my bluntness.

bearish

May 5th, 2019, 1:21 am

Rather than "preventing a lawful burial", which seems like a rather minor nuisance complaint, how about "preventing continued life", aka homicide?

MarkBrezina

May 5th, 2019, 1:49 am

It just sounds like either the minor details are also horrid or the entirety is horrid
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On