SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: World Competitiveness Rankings

April 13th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I have taught a similar number of math finance master's students over the last decade, too, and they have generally been pretty disappointing, but mostly Chinese. So we really can't blame them on the "educational system in the West."

As for my own schooling, it was entirely pedestrian (there was school, and you went to it). I will admit that our kids went to a Manhattan private school, but not one of the ones where 25-50% of their graduates attend Ivies. Which, incidentally, has almost nothing to do with anything other than the number of legacies and development cases cultivated by the schools' admissions process. 

Paul

April 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

And I may well have (wildly unsubstantiated claim to follow) graduated with the highest high school GPA in the country in my year. I know I graduated with the best (it was actually the lowest, but low was good) GPA in my university five years later, and in my year of acceptance that was one of the couple of hardest schools in Norway to get into based on the standardized entrance scoring system used at the time. 
Where did it all go wrong? Sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll? You should be like me. I am delaying gratification. I intend to start abusing my body when I get to 70, at one of Cuch's parties. 

Cuchulainn

April 14th, 2019, 9:59 am

Why wait? No time like the present!

One precondition is that each participant must have a party piece: some sing, recite, do push ups, play bagpipes.
We are looking for a ukelele player for the ceili band. We once flew in (at great expense) a didgeridoo player from Australia (and it wasn't Rolf Harris).

Over 18's only.

bearish

April 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm

One precondition is that each participant must have a party piece: some sing, recite, do push ups, play bagpipes.
We are looking for a ukelele player for the ceili band. We once flew in (at great expense) a didgeridoo player from Australia (and it wasn't Rolf Harris).

Over 18's only.
I can cook. 

Cuchulainn

April 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Over 18's only.
I can cook. 
Sounds good. In July. Maybe a nice veggie curry?

bearish

April 14th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Over 18's only.
I can cook. 
Sounds good. In July. Maybe a nice veggie curry?
I'm thinking a garlicky eggplant dhal. Kata should approve.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On