SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Global Warming - What We Can Do (Mitigation)

May 5th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I've had a look at the Dame company's blog because I sensed something uncanny about them:

"... you deserve a little extra self-love just for you! So what’s the point of an inner child meditation? In short, we are born absolutely pure, complete, and wonderful, but somewhere along the way we seem to forget this. Maybe it’s because the world around us can be a little harsh, along with the people in it. Slowly, our child selves naturally retreat inwards during painful childhood experiences, from being spoken to harshly to embarrassing ourselves in front of our middle school crush. Then there can be more traumatic memories too. All of these contribute to our child selves feeling hurt, scared, unheard, or even unloved. By practicing inner child meditation we begin to heal these inner wounds that may have been present for years on end. By healing past wounds we are able to better connect with ourselves and our pure and whole childlike spirit."

I think the MIT education and male students ploughed up those ladies' brains a bit too much. It's not a "sex toy" - it's a masturbation toy. I would use it to satisfy my physiological needs instead of going to bed with someone (e.g. because I'm not keen on spreading their carcinogenic viruses and bacteria). Sex is different story, though. It's more than just physical activity, stress suppressant, etc. - it's strictly connected to emotions and feelings. I'm sorry for people who've never experienced it, but let's not lie to them that a Tinder shag or any form of masturbation can replace it.
Last edited by katastrofa on May 5th, 2019, 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ISayMoo

May 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm

They're monetising feminism. Good business plan.

DavidJN

May 5th, 2019, 5:28 pm

BTW, the authors of that article are just journalists, if I'm not mistaken...."

You are mistaken. This particular research was done by qualified scientists and peer reviewed. And yes, having fewer or no children is something also found high on their list of things people can do on their own.

ISayMoo

May 5th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Throw us a link, we'll see.

katastrofa

May 5th, 2019, 5:40 pm

BTW, the authors of that article are just journalists, if I'm not mistaken...."

You are mistaken. This particular research was done by qualified scientists and peer reviewed. And yes, having fewer or no children is something also found high on their list of things people can do on their own.
I didn't read your previous post carefully and thought you were talking about the newspaper article. As above, can you share what article it was - I guess this kind of awareness and knowledge should be spread.
BTW, sadly everybody can be a scientist these days (I wouldn't expect to hear about pet owners as having "something wrong with their brains" from a quality one, though) and there are very poor peer reviewed journals.

ISayMoo

May 5th, 2019, 9:33 pm

bearish

May 5th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I've been a managing editor of a second tier math finance journal for most of the last decade. The most surprising (at least to me) fact is that any request to members of the board of associate editors to review a paper is crickets. I believe a couple of them to actually be dead, and a few more to be retired, but I guess their name recognition warrants their continued membership on the board. Meanwhile, I will aggressively use Google Scholar to track down people with a relevant publication record, which occasionally bring graduate students into the mix. One first year assistant professor went out of her way to email me to thank me for considering her as worthy of the task, which I found kind of cute. 

MarkBrezina

May 5th, 2019, 10:18 pm

That sounds really interesting. A lot of people might not actually be up to speed or up to the task of their position?

ISayMoo

May 5th, 2019, 11:29 pm

You're new to the academia, aren't you?

MarkBrezina

May 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Nope. I'm just blissfully forgetful

Cuchulainn

May 9th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Ireland becomes second country to declare climate emergency

Politicians are all talk and no action

https://www.rte.ie/news/enviroment/2019 ... emergency/

tw

May 9th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Ireland becomes second country to declare climate emergency

Politicians are all talk and no action

https://www.rte.ie/news/enviroment/2019 ... emergency/
big turn out for that debate, I see.

katastrofa

May 10th, 2019, 8:57 am

They've been outsourced to China as a part of EU's new carbon footprint reduction project.

Cuchulainn

May 10th, 2019, 9:16 am

They've been outsourced to China as a part of EU's new carbon footprint reduction project.
Or around the corner in nearby Baggot Street..

ISayMoo

May 11th, 2019, 11:04 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On