SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul

Re: Global Warming - What We Can Do (Mitigation)

October 12th, 2019, 12:03 am

It's great to be part of the Extinction Rebellion protests. It makes us oldies feel young again.

Cuchulainn

October 13th, 2019, 8:40 am

At some stage it is time to buy a camper van and to visit micro breweries. 

Paul

October 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Which camper van do you recommend?

Collector

October 13th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Velomobile camper minivan has very low CO2 footprint, and the engine  indeed can be re-filled at micro breweries. Forget van, go for minivan!

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 8.41.51 PM.png
[/font]

Cuchulainn

October 13th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Which camper van do you recommend?
I'm thinking of this and drive it around Connemara in the summer

katastrofa

October 14th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Political institutions have been losing their credibility for quite some time. We are heading to oblivion, but I think the way leads though anarchy. At lest according The Atlantic's Robert Kaplan's article from 1994, which describes the effect of climate change on social order---at first considered controversial, but the future proved him right. The anarchy may change the course of things and save us.
Anyway, I guess it's a perfect time to not to worry and be happy.
Scientists endorse mass civil disobedience to force climate action

Paul

October 14th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Why is this focused on London? I suspect it’s people who have gone mad thanks to Brexit. They are susceptible to Groupthink, they have experienced positive feedback from within their bubble and the media.

Collector

October 14th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Very few times I read newspapers these days. After hiking down a mountain last evening I stopped in the valley, and grabbed a paper in a cafe there. The main Norwegian business paper DN (Norways equivalent to FT). Many years ago the paper used to be a little about derivatives etc. Now front page was about our leading climate scientists. Very good!

One top scientist there were from same top university as Paul. She had Phd physics from oxford. The article was about what these climate researchers did themselves to save us all, and what they recommended others to do. This researcher had decided not to get children to help save us from reaching the tipping point of climate change. She in particular was against getting children early in life as this was particular bad for climate (Climate gas output generation overlapp). All in the paper (Dagnes Næringsliv Sat 12, 2019)!!!  This was when the brilliant idea hit me, she was right! If we just all skipped getting children for only 3 to 4 generations then the tipping point will be avoided. 

but then likely only the people that want to do something about the climate will follow her advice. This means their genetics will die out and only climate deniers will get children (deniers?) and then we are doomed!  Complex systems that only can be solved by Tax?

Paul

October 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Very counterproductive. Makes her look at best naive, at worst stupid. So we naturally ignore her.

Collector

October 15th, 2019, 11:17 am

Bloomberg Scared Central Banks Face Up to Threats From Climate Change

"I'm going to give you a speech without a joke, I'm afraid,...."

(some) central banks are among biggest buyers of Green bonds!

BIS launches green bond fund for central banks

Cuchulainn

October 15th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Why is this focused on London? I suspect it’s people who have gone mad thanks to Brexit. They are susceptible to Groupthink, they have experienced positive feedback from within their bubble and the media.
A man who is tired of London, is tired of life.

katastrofa

October 15th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Bloomberg Scared Central Banks Face Up to Threats From Climate Change

"I'm going to give you a speech without a joke, I'm afraid,...."

(some) central banks are among biggest buyers of Green bonds!

BIS launches green bond fund for central banks
Nouvaeu rich bankster mentality: I will pay someone to fix it for me.

Collector

October 16th, 2019, 1:38 pm

"The resulting summary curve reveals a remarkable resemblance to the sunspot and terrestrial activity reported in the past millennia including the significant grand solar minima: Maunder Minimum (1645–1715), Wolf minimum (1200), Oort minimum (1010–1050), Homer minimum (800–900 BC) combined with the grand solar maxima: the medieval warm period (900–1200), the Roman warm period (400–10BC) etc. It also predicts the upcoming grand solar minimum, similar to Maunder Minimum, which starts in 2020 and will last until 2055." 

" Latest minimum of the baseline oscillations is found to coincide with the grand solar minimum (the Maunder minimum) occurred before the current super-grand cycle start..... These oscillations of the baseline solar magnetic field are found associated with a long-term solar inertial motion about the barycenter of the solar system and closely linked to an increase of solar irradiance and terrestrial temperature in the past two centuries. This trend is anticipated to continue in the next six centuries that can lead to a further natural increase of the terrestrial temperature by more than 2.5 °C by 2600. "

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-45584-3  Jun 2019

hemm

Paul

October 18th, 2019, 7:50 am

In another couple of years all the old Extinction Rebellion protesters will have died. (Am I doing this right?)

Collector

October 18th, 2019, 9:12 am

Norway has the solutions: this is on the main Norwegian state sponsored state channel: NRK. This is serious business from the bureaucrats that with their brilliant minds have figured out how to save the world. And there are no sarcastic jokes or special Norwegian humor below this line:

"Norway wastes huge amounts of water - we can help a little in peeing in the shower" This is important as it also helps save electricity to pump additional water into the toilet and therefore can save us from global warming tipping point!

"The municipality of Oslo advises people to pee in the shower."
"For example, we can pee in the shower." says the head of water authorities in Oslo, Frode Hult.

he also suggest "We can brush our teeth in the shower also."

https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/noreg-slosar-med-vatn-_-slik-kan-du-spare-1.14735501

So in one week we have been suggested from oxford educated physicist (now working at a university in Norway) not to have children especially when we are young, if having children wait as long as possible. Second from the head water in Oslo we got the good tips of peeing and brushing teeth in the shower.

Golden showers must be very common in Oslo these days!!! (I live in the country side, so dont blame me)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On