SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Global Warming - Impacts, Vulnerability, Adaptation

December 7th, 2017, 11:40 am

You don't expect us to believe what Breitbart says, do you?

Show us the chain of reasoning.

bearish

December 25th, 2017, 1:59 am

The notion of "global" is kind of undermining this move. If anything, the statistics of antarctic warming are even more dramatic than the arctic kind. But I understand that these are not the sort of statistics that your political/religious affiliations allow you to consider.

ppauper

December 29th, 2017, 8:24 am

Donald J. Trump‏ Verified account @realDonaldTrump
In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year’s Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old Global Warming that our Country, but not other countries, was going to pay TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to protect against. Bundle up!
4:01 PM - 28 Dec 2017

Touché

bearish

December 29th, 2017, 2:18 pm

ppauper wrote:
Donald J. Trump‏ Verified account @realDonaldTrump
In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year’s Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old Global Warming that our Country, but not other countries, was going to pay TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to protect against. Bundle up!
4:01 PM - 28 Dec 2017

Touché

I think that quote does as good of a job as any to illustrate the complete and total cluelessness of the moron in chief.

gatarek

December 29th, 2017, 2:33 pm

I still don't understand - why you all believe journalists?

bearish

December 29th, 2017, 2:40 pm

gatarek wrote:

Out of curiosity, which journalists are you referring to? If with “you all” you mean ppauper and me, then we generally do not believe in the same ones.

gatarek

December 29th, 2017, 6:37 pm

bearish wrote:
gatarek wrote:

Out of curiosity, which journalists are you referring to? 

All of them, of course. Why should we believe a single journalist? All right, they may not lie about plain facts but global warming is not a plain fact, no human being lives that long to be able just to report: It was much cooler under Henry VIII but the worst winter I remember was in 1234. Or was it 1233 actually?
You need quite a lot of data, maths, analysis to state something about climate change. Are you sure journalist have enough skills to do it? Those I know don't seem to have.
Last edited by gatarek on December 29th, 2017, 7:19 pm

bearish

December 29th, 2017, 7:08 pm

gatarek wrote:
bearish wrote:
gatarek wrote:

Out of curiosity, which journalists are you referring to? 

All of them, of course. Why should we believe a single journalist? All right, they may not lie about plain facts but global warming is not a plain facts, no human being lives that long to be able just to report: It was much cooler under Henry VIII but the worst winter I remember was in 1234. Or was it 1233 actually?
You need quite a lot of data, maths, analysis to state something about climate change. Are you sure journalist have enough skills to do it? Those I know don't seem to have.

I am absolutely convinced that almost no journalists have the skills to carry out climate research. I do not have such skills myself, although my knowledge of statistics is at least better than that of most journalists. However, we benefit from decades of research done by tens of thousands of (mostly) qualified scientists around the world, applying a variety of methods to untold quantities of data. And they agree to a remarkable extent (NASA claims 97% agreement among climate scientists, although there may be some selection bias involved there) on the broad conclusion that anthropogenic climate change has very likely taken place over the last century. So this really has preciously little to do with journalists. Many of us here are pretty comfortable getting a bit closer to the original source material than what comes packaged along with the page 3 girl, so a lot less reliance on journalists than in the population at large.

gatarek

December 29th, 2017, 7:22 pm

And they agree to a remarkable extent (NASA claims 97% agreement among climate scientists, although there may be some selection bias involved there) on the broad conclusion that anthropogenic climate change has very likely taken place over the last century. 
______

You know that from journalists, don't you?

Traden4Alpha

December 29th, 2017, 7:46 pm

gatarek wrote:
And they agree to a remarkable extent (NASA claims 97% agreement among climate scientists, although there may be some selection bias involved there) on the broad conclusion that anthropogenic climate change has very likely taken place over the last century. 
______

No, we know it from NASA (https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/). That page also cites corroborating statements by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society, American Geophysical Union, American Medical Association, American Meteorological Society, American Physical Society, The Geological Society of America, and U.S. National Academy of Sciences.

bearish

December 29th, 2017, 7:51 pm

gatarek wrote:
______

What’s with you and the journalists? That is straight from the US government — evidently a part Trump hasn’t quite managed to suppress yet. https//:climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

gatarek

December 29th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I don't know about you but I don't believe in democracy in science. 97% of CDO houses used Gaussian copula together with base correlation.

ppauper

December 29th, 2017, 8:33 pm

this is also straight from the US government,
House Committee on Science, Space and Technology: Former NOAA Scientist Confirms Colleagues Manipulated Climate Records
In the summer of 2015, NOAA scientists published the Karl study, which retroactively altered historical climate change data and resulted in the elimination of a well-known climate phenomenon known as the “climate change hiatus.” The hiatus was a period between 1998 and 2013 during which the rate of global temperature growth slowed. This fact has always been a thorn in the side of climate change alarmists, as it became difficult to disprove the slowdown in warming.

if the data doesn't support the theory, evidently the government "scientists" change the data
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...