SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul

Re: Grammar Time!

November 19th, 2018, 6:36 am

Reformulate and break into shorter sentences. 

"COMPAS uses a questionnaire filled in by defendants. The 137 questions are based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes."

One would usually try to keep "questionnaire" and "questions" as far apart as possible. Don't use "based on" twice. 

Cuchulainn

November 19th, 2018, 8:41 am

"COMPAS is based on a questionnaire that asks defendants 137 questions based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes."

I'm not that good with commas in English either, and the answer to a quandary is usually to reformulate.
What is the 'issue' with the sentence? More importantly, for whom was it written and is there an ambiguity?

I'm not that good with commas in English either,
Speak for yourself :)
In fact, commas are neither necessary nor sufficient. To quote Wolfgang Pauli "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig; es ist nicht einmal falsch!". 

ppauper

November 19th, 2018, 11:00 am

"COMPAS uses a questionnaire containing 137 questions based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes, filled in by defendants."
if this is a specific question rather than a general question using this as an example, I would simplify it.
"COMPAS uses a 137 question questionnaire based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes, which is filled in by defendants."
That bit in the middle, "based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes," is unwieldy and might be simplfied.
Per wiki, "Criminology is the scientific study of the nature, extent, management, causes, control, consequences, and prevention of criminal behavior, both on individual and social levels," so maybe
"COMPAS uses a 137 question questionnaire based on modern criminology, which is filled in by defendants,"
but the downside is that many people may not be familiar with the term.
Years ago, I knew a woman who was studying criminology at a lesser university and she went on to be a prison guard.

katastrofa

November 19th, 2018, 11:48 am

"COMPAS is based on a questionnaire that asks defendants 137 questions based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes."

I'm not that good with commas in English either, and the answer to a quandary is usually to reformulate.
Thank you very much! I used your sentence yesterday night, just preferred to get some sleep before I respond not to risk more commfusion.

katastrofa

November 19th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Reformulate and break into shorter sentences. 

"COMPAS uses a questionnaire filled in by defendants. The 137 questions are based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes."

One would usually try to keep "questionnaire" and "questions" as far apart as possible. Don't use "based on" twice. 
Thanks! I didn't notice the second "based on" :-( It was 3 a.m., Your Honour, I wasn't thinking clearly.
Now that I'm rested and fresh (if you don't count the missed shower), I can see I can get rid of "questionnaire"!

katastrofa

November 19th, 2018, 12:26 pm

"COMPAS uses a questionnaire containing 137 questions based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes, filled in by defendants."
if this is a specific question rather than a general question using this as an example, I would simplify it.
"COMPAS uses a 137 question questionnaire based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes, which is filled in by defendants."
That bit in the middle, "based on modern theories of what causes people to commit crimes," is unwieldy and might be simplfied.
Per wiki, "Criminology is the scientific study of the nature, extent, management, causes, control, consequences, and prevention of criminal behavior, both on individual and social levels," so maybe
"COMPAS uses a 137 question questionnaire based on modern criminology, which is filled in by defendants,"
but the downside is that many people may not be familiar with the term.
Years ago, I knew a woman who was studying criminology at a lesser university and she went on to be a prison guard.
Thanks! I'm writing about criminology in that text anyway (I believe/hope most people are familiar with the term), I just thought I should be more specific (criminology is a broad field these days).

Paul

November 19th, 2018, 2:03 pm

If it's correct I would make it "criminal defendants." Adds to the picture in your mind!

ppauper

November 19th, 2018, 2:18 pm

is this a cunning plan to trick them into confessing?

katastrofa

November 19th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Not at all. The answers are used to construct synthetic risk factors / scales for recidivism. It also produces scales for detecting cheating and random answers.

Cuchulainn

November 19th, 2018, 3:24 pm

questionnaire containing 137 questions

questionnaire consisting of 137 questions??

A non-physical thing cannot contain things. ??

ppauper

November 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Not at all. The answers are used to construct synthetic risk factors / scales for recidivism. It also produces scales for detecting cheating and random answers.
are they asked the questions before the trial, when they are presumed innocent, or after the trial if they have been found guilty? If after, maybe "defendants" isn't the right term? Offender? Not sure.
I have this image of someone on trial pleading not guilty and COMPAS asking him why he did it

katastrofa

November 19th, 2018, 4:29 pm

The score can influence the judge's decision. This is a part of the controversy about COMPAS, but it doesn't ask about this kind of things (https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -CORE.html). It just provides a risk score (in the form of a set of different scales/scores) for recidivism to the judges.

katastrofa

December 6th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Is there any generic term for prison/parole, jail, probation, etc.? I'm thinking about "custody placement", but I'm not sure if it includes probation.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On