Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

hayes

Rainwater Collection and Gravity Well Systems: How to?

March 21st, 2012, 7:09 am

QuoteHe said that every home would get a generous allowance of water and would then pay for any use above that limit, so it would be a 'pay-as-you-use' system.Interesting idea that we don't have here in the UK (that I know of). In theory it should still encourage sensible water usage. But one of the main advantages of a flat rate is the simplicity of calculating and chasing payment. Which if you still have to have a meter defies the point. I wonder how this "generous allowance" may change over the next few years.A lot of people pay a service charge of some description for other utilities and this is the same thing really. Water companies have a lot of fixed costs, regardless of how much water you use.

Traden4Alpha

March 21st, 2012, 11:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteHe said that every home would get a generous allowance of water and would then pay for any use above that limit, so it would be a 'pay-as-you-use' system.Interesting idea that we don't have here in the UK (that I know of). In theory it should still encourage sensible water usage. But one of the main advantages of a flat rate is the simplicity of calculating and chasing payment. Which if you still have to have a meter defies the point. I wonder how this "generous allowance" may change over the next few years.A lot of people pay a service charge of some description for other utilities and this is the same thing really. Water companies have a lot of fixed costs, regardless of how much water you use.Our town uses a sliding scale based on a monthly water budget. Use less than the budget and the rate is 25% less. Use more than the budget and the rate grows quite quickly to double (using 101% to 150% of budget), triple(using 151% to 200% of budget), and 5X the base rate (over 200% of budget). The base budget seem to be set by structure type with all single family houses have a fixed allotment (which assumes an average family of 4) plus a variable allotment computed from the property's irrigable area.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on March 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 22nd, 2012, 10:38 am

I built a nice reservoir along this road, so I hope not to be taxed on it. There's a good slope near the brow of the hill, so gravity can do its work.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

March 25th, 2012, 11:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI built a nice reservoir along this road, so I hope not to be taxed on it.Just disguise the reservoir by reconstructing a neolithic ruin. Pile up some rock aligned with the sun and start some annual ritual around them. You might even be able to charge admission to tourists.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 25th, 2012, 12:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI built a nice reservoir along this road, so I hope not to be taxed on it.Just disguise the reservoir by reconstructing a neolithic ruin. Pile up some rock aligned with the sun and start some annual ritual around them. You might even be able to charge admission to tourists.been there, done that And this is where we have the yearly Poc Fada in honour of Cuchulainn. Admission is 5 Euro. Pay at the door.edit: the edifice is pointing east.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

March 25th, 2012, 11:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI built a nice reservoir along this road, so I hope not to be taxed on it.Just disguise the reservoir by reconstructing a neolithic ruin. Pile up some rock aligned with the sun and start some annual ritual around them. You might even be able to charge admission to tourists.been there, done that And this is where we have the yearly Poc Fada in honour of Cuchulainn. Admission is 5 Euro. Pay at the door.Well, then you know what to do! That should provide some nice walking around money for a trip to Dublin.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 26th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Hosepipe ban prompts West Sussex drought summit
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 25th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 31st, 2012, 3:12 pm

London 2012: Olympics plan to combat summer drought
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

February 13th, 2013, 4:53 pm

here was something about management of water.

tags

February 13th, 2013, 6:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarhere was something about management of water.ru ok ts?

trackstar

February 13th, 2013, 6:56 pm

You know, this web site was launched in 2001-2002 and lots of funny things happened before our latest OT cohort arrived on the scene.So sometimes, if a post seems really out of context to you, just know that other people are reading and laughing. Happy and humorous memories for the older and wiser... !**PS: Do you know what a "MAG" is? Do not Google it.What is the history and significance of the MAG on the W Forum?No searching allowed either.You know it or you don't!
Last edited by trackstar on February 12th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

February 13th, 2013, 7:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarYou know, this web site was launched in 2001-2002 and lots of funny things happened before our latest OT cohort arrived on the scene.So sometimes, if a post seems really out of context to you, just know that other people are reading and laughing. Happy and humorous memories for the older and wiser... !**PS: Do you know what a "MAG" is? Do not Google it.What is the history and significance of the MAG on the W Forum.No searching allowed either.You know it or you don't!In my jargon, MAG stands for Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganadería.But I am not sure, that applies in this context.No, I do not know what MAG is here.But, I am wondering a lot .....

trackstar

February 13th, 2013, 7:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardIn my jargon, MAG stands for Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganadería.But I am not sure, that applies in this context.No, I do not know what MAG is here.But, I am wondering a lot .....That's good - a certain amount of wondering is healthy for the mind!

trackstar

February 13th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Let me put it this way - after the time you have spent in the OT, will you ever see pictures of squirrels as just that - simple depictions of small furry rodents?Thanks to Powerpuff, outrun, FrenchX, and Traden, I think not. MAGs are the same kind of thing - they have achieved iconic status here. And for good reason!
Last edited by trackstar on February 12th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.