Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Rainwater Collection and Gravity Well Systems: How to?

August 21st, 2005, 6:35 pm

Anyone with experience of design, installation and maintenance of the above systems in hillside terrein where there is quite a bit of rain?Any good web sites?NThe answer is NOT via Lie groups
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 20th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NamelessWonder

August 21st, 2005, 6:56 pm

I think there is this place in Spain which has got structures (built during the time of the moors) which are apparently very well designed.

TraderJoe

August 21st, 2005, 8:28 pm

What you'll need is a bucket, a hosepipe, a valve and a tap .

DominicConnor

August 21st, 2005, 8:42 pm

Been there, a lot in Granada, quite remarkable very long lived social & technical structure.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 22nd, 2005, 4:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeWhat you'll need is a bucket, a hosepipe, a valve and a tap .great, that's as clear as mud. TJ, you are a genius

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 22nd, 2005, 4:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCBeen there, a lot in Granada, quite remarkable very long lived social & technical structure.Did you take any pictures?

TraderJoe

August 22nd, 2005, 8:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeWhat you'll need is a bucket, a hosepipe, a valve and a tap .great, that's as clear as mud. TJ, you are a geniusA bit like your posts then . Hey, and no bitchin'.

DominicConnor

August 23rd, 2005, 7:05 pm

Did you take any pictures?No, sorry, they look like umm err ditches.Form what perspective are you keen to learn ?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 23rd, 2005, 7:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCDid you take any pictures?No, sorry, they look like umm err ditches.Form what perspective are you keen to learn ?Well, it is a real problem to be honest.The water table on the mountain near the real Cuchulainn's birthplace is shifting and I have to keep digging new wells. Furthermore, I have 2 large steel Harpic beer tanks to store water but they will be Deprecated (Java) or Obsoleted (C#) soon. So the dual problem is getting the water in first place and second storing it for a rainy day as it were.The Harpic tanks were not maintained well the last 10 years and throughput in tubes is 0.0. Huge maintenance problem. Might have to buy new ugly green kerosene tanks.Last, house is surrounded by 6 metre high conifers. Thus, cannot get in a well-digging device. (I could draw analogies with a s/w program I wrote once.)Any ideas? Know any builders? See the photo to see the hill. See the stone? It is holding down a water pipe but yer man in photo does not know that. This is the terrein the builder will have to contend with. Wish it were in Holland water
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 30th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

August 23rd, 2005, 10:13 pm

Sounds like you might have no option but to get the bulldozers in.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 24th, 2005, 5:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeSounds like you might have no option but to get the bulldozers in.yes, I will then have to break down my nice stone walls and mature trees.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 30th, 2006, 9:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeSounds like you might have no option but to get the bulldozers in.yes, I will then have to break down my nice stone walls and mature trees.TJIs this still your opinion?remember these stone walls were built during the Great Hunger?

DominicConnor

July 1st, 2006, 9:29 am

Coming from a large Irish building family, I would say that you don't need big bulldozers. There are a lot of small form factor diggers around.Ireland's rainfull (as I understand it) is in something of a long term decline. Obviously it's not going to become dry, but because getting water has never been really hard, people haven't had to work too hard at it.What you need is a borehole that gets to a depth where water is guranteed. But I guess we're talking aobut E2.5K.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 1st, 2006, 11:35 am

QuoteComing from a large Irish building family, I would say that you don't need big bulldozers. There are a lot of small form factor diggers around.The terrein has an inclination of about (rough) 30 degrees, so difficult.QuoteIreland's rainfull (as I understand it) is in something of a long term decline. Obviously it's not going to become dry, but because getting water has never been really hard, people haven't had to work too hard at it.Indeed. The water-table on the hill in the back yard is becoming lower every year. So we have to build a new open-source well at lower levels every few years.QuoteWhat you need is a borehole that gets to a depth where water is guranteed. But I guess we're talking aobut E2.5K. This is an opton indeed. But the house is hedged (you could say that it is a perfect hedge) in on all sides and the road is a cul-de-sac. And the drilling machines are big.A rainwater collection system might be a complementary option.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 30th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 2nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

Seeing all these problems I now plan to install a rainwater collecting system and use this water for everything but drinking. Part of the vacation *that starts tomorrow* will be spent on that topic (not exciting but it beats C++)