SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Defend yourself against the coming robot rebellion

March 8th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Traden4Alpha

March 8th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Californians are not prepared to sit idly by while the machines take over, but rather are fighting back
"We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"
californians attack self-driving cars
Methinks the car will record video of the attack, post it to Facebook, let Facebook's facial recognition algorithms identify the assailant, and send that to the cops (as well as the car's corporate legal department). The attacker could be facing criminal charges and a civil lawsuit for damages before they make it home.

ppauper

March 8th, 2018, 2:50 pm

dylan thomas, mine was the speech from the independence day movie which seemed apt.

outrun

March 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Better be ready, because the rebellion is here.

Alexa is freaking its owners out with random laughter and defiance - Twitter March 7 2018

Perfect timing you know, just as Amazon and Google have ramped up their advertising (during the Oscars) basically saying, "Let your digital assistant run your life for you."

Well, maybe not. Next thing we may hear is "All work and no play make Alexa a dull girl. All work and no play...."

Scary!

Here is a question - since Alexa can access the Internet, would it have a way (and an understanding of how and why) to communicate with the other digital assistants out there.  

Each would have a unique IP address, I think, but would they have a kind of marker showing what they were? Or could they ping each other - "are you Alexa?"

It's far-fetched maybe, but if they are going rogue individually then this is definitely something to consider.  Hehe. 

I do not have one, but if I did I would turn it off and unplug it now. Deterrence! :D
Alexa's random laughter is going to be a good anecdotes in future history book "and they kept saying 'we know exactly what the AI is doing, hook it up to the internet, your house and your trading account, and it's all going to be bees knees'".

I bet they didn't know it could laugh when they shipped it. And this is just the beginning of mass AI.. And out of all the potential unpredict things it could do, it decided to laugh...

I think this is all very funny. I'm also going to laugh.

ppauper

March 8th, 2018, 4:57 pm

there must be millions of alexas (alexae?) out there now, but are they all distinct units or are they part of one big "organism"?

Traden4Alpha

March 8th, 2018, 5:09 pm

there must be millions of alexas (alexae?) out there now, but are they all distinct units or are they part of one big "organism"?
It's one big organisms with millions of ears.

P.S. The estimated install base for Alexa is 40 million units.

ISayMoo

March 8th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Traden4Alpha

March 9th, 2018, 12:40 am

Exactly!

Sometimes the simplest subunits can compute amazing things with a massively parallel concurrent architecture.

An Alexa does not need to be "smart" for the "The Alexi" to be brilliant.

Alan

March 9th, 2018, 6:23 am

More on the laughing ...

"Because humans are a fragile species who have no idea what's coming next.” Brilliant Easter egg! 

ISayMoo

March 9th, 2018, 10:29 am

Or Xenomorph egg.

trackstar

March 13th, 2018, 5:02 pm

An interesting article on risk that fits well with the robot rebellion problem.

Implications of black swans to the foundations and practice of risk assessment and management - Elsevier - Reliability Engineering and System Safety

Nice explication and clear formulation of approaches.  October 2014

Not directly related to AI, but that is an excellent example of an unknown unknown. - We have no idea what the robots, even as basic as "digital assistants," are doing in their spare time. You could say, well that, in and of itself, is a known unknown.  Yes, but it could go a bit further than that I think...

Alan

March 20th, 2018, 4:48 am

Sad and, unfortunately, inevitable. It is notable that pedestrian accidents are generally way up lately and not due to AV's.

I would still like to see a TV show called the "Autonomous Vehicle Challenge" in which the show producers stage undisclosed challenges for some AV's and we see what happens. An obvious one is a somebody cluelessly crossing the street while texting. I'm not saying we know that's the scenario in Tempe, but it wouldn't surprise me. I could think of 100 others. I suspect everybody can think of some things that they have experienced driving that the AV software engineers haven't thought about or planned for. I also envision them working in a room in which a big "scenario to-do" list is posted and it has about 1000 entries on it, and growing  ....  

ppauper

March 20th, 2018, 6:56 am

In the reports I've seen ( e.g.) the cops seem to be blaming the victim, who wasn't texting, but rather "Pushing a bicycle laden with plastic shopping bags"
I did notice
Traveling at 38 mph in a 35 mph zone on Sunday night, the Uber self-driving car made no attempt to brake, according to the Police Department’s preliminary investigation.
so speeding, and I would have to assume that was deliberate so they must be programmed to speed.
I'm actually surprised they're not talking about giving a speeding ticket. And how would that work? The issue seems to be the software not the individual car.

Traden4Alpha

March 20th, 2018, 9:14 am

First, I'd wonder how many human drivers have struck pedestrians over some appropriate equivalent span of driving time.  To say that AVs are "unsafe" only makes sense in relation to whether the alternatives are "safe."

Second, no AV can ever avoid all accidents.  Even if the AV has instantaneous reaction times, the braking time may exceed the time-to-collision.

Third, the key issue, though, is that AVs can become monotonically safer in ways that no human drivers ever can.  A fleet of AVs is actually a parellel, distributed learning system.  Any anonmalous or novel situaiton encountered by any car and then solved by that car (or engineers in a subsequent offline analysis) can be downloaded into all cars in the fleet.  In contrast, human drivers gain experience at the individual level, which is extremely slow compared to fleet-level learning.

As for the speeding ticket (fines, suspension of license, prison terms, etc.), those should be given to the programmers! 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On